0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Tesco - Hibbert Lane, Marple.

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Jeffb
Drifter
Re: Tesco - Hibbert Lane, Marple.
9th September 2011 at 11:04PM
I wonder how many of those against a possible supermarket in marple actually travel down to sainsburys in the grove or marks and sparks etc?
I bet quite a few!!
Just seems hypocritical to me that they don't want one because of traffic etc but quite happy to travel elsewhere and cause traffic in other towns!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Drifter
10th September 2011 at 1:55AM
Guest Wrote:

I wonder how many of those against a possible supermarket in marple actually travel down to sainsburys in the grove or marks and sparks etc?
I bet quite a few!!
Just seems hypocritical to me that they don't want one because of traffic etc but quite happy to travel elsewhere and cause traffic in other towns!!

Same the world over Jeff....Not on our doorstep......
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
10th September 2011 at 10:06AM
Yes, but the Hibbert Lane site is a bit like saying in Hazel Grove, we would like to build a supermarket on that grass field area next to Chester Road along side the south side of the railway line.

Its in the middle of housing with indirect road intrastructure to it.

And a lot of people do shop in Marple, I can remember when they had not just the Co-op but also another supermarket. But with the Co-ops dominance and an abundance local shops you could shop for most things, the second supermarket changed hands several times eventually closed as a type of business.

They support their local shops unlike in Hazel Grove where businesses have gone & still going. Otherwise we wouldn't have loads of bars, fast-food and restaurants supporting the Stockport town centre exedus.
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
10th September 2011 at 8:23PM
Old Timer
Drifter
11th September 2011 at 3:15PM
What is it with this forum and supermarkets, come on move on, and now it's Marple turn. Who cares it's not Hazel Grove.
Drifter
11th September 2011 at 7:21PM
Guest Wrote:

What is it with this forum and supermarkets, come on move on, and now it's Marple turn. Who cares it's not Hazel Grove.

there's nothing wrong with having a social conscience just because S.M.B.C stuffed hazel grove with a lack care over planning and allowing supermarkets to do as they like doesn't mean we should stand by and allow the same thing happen to Marple.
Drifter
12th September 2011 at 7:05AM
Guest Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

there's nothing wrong with having a social conscience just because S.M.B.C stuffed hazel grove with a lack care over planning and allowing supermarkets to do as they like doesn't mean we should stand by and allow the same thing happen to Marple.

Yes youíre right Guest, and on one hand I have to agree with you that it sometimes seems that little can be done to stop these big companies from pushing their way into small communities and turning them into ugly shopping complexes, which unfortunately has happened to Hazel Grove.

Iíve not yet seen one superstore that actually improves the landscape, just the opposite, there big, brash and ugly, which is such a shame as with a little thoughtful planning the picture could look so different.

I think this is the biggest reason why local residents fear and so strongly object to a supermarket being built where they live, because they know that the circus will be coming to (their) town......with all its bangs, whistles and 20% off banners flying everywhere, and that what was once a small community will be changed and lost forever.

As for our social conscience Guest, I do feel strongly for your plight, and which you every success, but I also feel that your social conscience ended at your front doorstep, as you and your neighbours are more than happy to get into your cars and shop at a safe distant away, clogging up Hazel Grove and its surrounding streets, so where is your social conscience being shown then.
Drifter
12th September 2011 at 11:27AM
i live in hazel grove i don't want Marple to go the same way i support Marple residents in there fight against the all conquering shopping giants its a shame our cllrs stood by while hazel grove was ruined.
Resident of Marple
Drifter
25th September 2011 at 4:10PM
I fully support a new Supermarket in Marple (pref M&S) as a disabled shopper, the accessing of the co-op carpark is extremely difficult. The co-op should never have been allowed a monopoly in Marple. Their monopoly makes their prices very high and little choice. It would be lovely to have a new supermarket. I have shopped in Marple for overy 20 years, so they have had a great deal of my money, without ever giving discount, offers, etc. I have noticed most of the protesters are business people who have had it good for too long. It is time to bring Marple into the 21st century and it is a great idea proposed by the College, bringing well needed jobs into the area. So please can we have a great supermarket with great parking, great choice, great prices, and new jobs for the people of marple.......
Climate
Drifter
25th September 2011 at 11:21PM
Guest Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Yes youíre right Guest, and on one hand I have to agree with you that it sometimes seems that little can be done to stop these big companies from pushing their way into small communities and turning them into ugly shopping complexes, which unfortunately has happened to Hazel Grove.

Iíve not yet seen one superstore that actually improves the landscape, just the opposite, there big, brash and ugly, which is such a shame as with a little thoughtful planning the picture could look so different.

I think this is the biggest reason why local residents fear and so strongly object to a supermarket being built where they live, because they know that the circus will be coming to (their) town......with all its bangs, whistles and 20% off banners flying everywhere, and that what was once a small community will be changed and lost forever.

As for our social conscience Guest, I do feel strongly for your plight, and which you every success, but I also feel that your social conscience ended at your front doorstep, as you and your neighbours are more than happy to get into your cars and shop at a safe distant away, clogging up Hazel Grove and its surrounding streets, so where is your social conscience being shown then.

I can agree with some of your points to be honest. When Tesco were wanting the plot that is held by the Art Deco former cinema in Poynton I wondered why they wanted it as effectively the residents could go a few miles to Macclesfield or indeed Handforth Dean, so they are only nibbling trade from both of those stores, however it means people would travel a shorter distance.

The problem is that people seem to think that Hazel Grove is something more than what it is. People on here often call it a 'village'. Villages do not have McDonalds, KFC, Weatherspoons, Asda, Tesco Express, Sainsburys etc.

People really do need to grasp evolution. None of those companies would put a 'store' in a bonafide village as the footfall isn't there.

Planning looks at the need for things. If there is no need for it, then it wouldn't get planning.

The sooner people realise that Hazel Grove is NOT a village and is infact a town and that's why planning is passed the better. It is people thinking Hazel Grove is more than it is that are the problem, not the stores.

Hazel Grove is an average town. Nothing more, nothing less. You can get a Wimpy house for pretty much bang on the average house price.

Supermarkets aren't there to build something of architectural importance and 'improve the landscape' they are there to sell stuff that people in the area need.

I laugh at people on here crying about this stuff when they are happy to slate Mr Hogg. He has gone out of his way to improve the area and give residents what they want, strange that all the 'haters' couldn't be bothered to do the same and just moan on the Internet which is far easier, eh?
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Part of..