Tesco - Hibbert Lane, Marple.

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

GoodOldDays
Villager

GoodOldDays
Tesco - Hibbert Lane, Marple.
24th August 2011 at 6:40PM
Upon paying a visit to Aldi in Hazel Grove, I spied a customer returning to their car in the car park bearing a poster, which read:

"Say NO to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane College site."

Hypocrasy, I immediately thought!

Upon my return home, I Googled the petition to read:

"The proposed sale of Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College Hibbert Lane Campus could mean the arrival of a major supermarket outside the town centre of Marple.
This could lead to the demise of local shops by pulling shoppers away from the centre of Marple, even more traffic congestion and change the community forever."

The person involved is parading a support the cause poster YET they are not helping local shops by spending their hard earned cash at Aldi. I would bet my bottom dollar that anything that can be found in Aldi can be bought in the merry Marple.

Rant over...sigh.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Drifter
Re: Tesco - Hibbert Lane, Marple.
24th August 2011 at 7:33PM
I don't "supermarket shop" in the Grove. But still shop for bits and pieces in the Grove. So whats the difference?

iirc there's only the Co-op in Marple centre. And its been that way for some time since the Co-op built its new store and moved over the road. Even when I lived there until recently I "supermarket shopped" Hyde & Crown Point.

Nowt wrong with that.

What is wrong with what is going on there is the change of use of the land and plonking a supermarket of fair size proportions in the middle of a residential area with poor communication roads leading to use of quiet residential roads not built to take the traffic.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
ha ha
Drifter
24th August 2011 at 8:29PM
they don't want a nasty supermarket in Marple it may lower the tone but who cares how many they stick in hazel grove not the council that's for sure they don't care what they put the residents of the grove through.
anony-mum
Drifter
24th August 2011 at 8:42PM
Ah there's a lot of false info going around about this one. Its amazing how many people are jumping on the 'Say No To Tesco' bandwagon,despite no deals being done or planning permission granted.
The college site at Marple has not been sold to anyone. Its for sale and the college say they are considering all offers.
If (and that is still an if) it was sold to a supermarket, I bet the vast majority of those complaining about it will end up shopping there at least once, quite probably regularly.
I suppose if it was to be sold off as a housing development, maybe social housing, people would complain about that too?
Wish all those who protest would check there facts in situations like this.
Just saying....
HG-21
Banned
24th August 2011 at 10:04PM
Has the/is the college closing?
Anony-mum
Drifter
24th August 2011 at 10:16PM
No the college is not closing. There are 2 Marple campuses as well as the Cheadle one.

It seems that the buildings are aged and very uneconomical to run and maintain,so they are selling the Hibbert lane one,but keeping the other Marple site (Buxton Ln?). It seems they had Govt finance pulled that they had wanted to improve the Hibbert Lane site, but without that funding they seem to be left with no option but to sell. That's the way things are now I guess. Suppose they have to make tough choices like other organisations, companies, etc.

Drifter
25th August 2011 at 8:54AM

What is wrong with what is going on there is the change of use of the land and plonking a supermarket of fair size proportions in the middle of a residential area with poor communication roads leading to use of quiet residential roads not built to take the traffic.

[/QUOTE]

When they built the supermarkets giants in the Grove the same applied.......I say spread the load...
sarah b
Drifter
25th August 2011 at 6:45PM
tesco for marple sick of co-op dominating and having to travel all way into stockport to shop!
vege
Drifter
25th August 2011 at 9:02PM
why Tesco they could have an Asda and some never ending roadworks to go with it.
anony-mum
Drifter
25th August 2011 at 9:18PM
Guest Wrote:

why Tesco they could have an Asda and some never ending roadworks to go with it.

Ha ha!! I like a sense of humour!!
Drifter
26th August 2011 at 3:56AM
Guest Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

Ha ha!! I like a sense of humour!!

It's not so funny when your laying awake at 3.00 o'clock in the morning............
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Part of..