Hazel Grove Bypass Is Finally ON!

This thread was submitted to SEMMMS / Hazel Grove & Poynton Bypass / A555 MAELR

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23 >>

Guest xx
Drifter
Re: Hazel Grove Bypass Is Finally ON!
21st March 2012 at 7:27PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

The comments expressed are right but we need to keep campaigning and pushing for the rest of it. It is progress but not finished.....

That might be a case for the future Oliver, however I still haven't had the answer to what I feel is a very simple question...how will the first stage of this bypass assist in reducing the pollution and congestion in Hazel Grove by nearly 30%, perhaps long term that figure might be right, but short term I doubt it.

If this figure is to be believed what evidence has been produced in support of this reduction?

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
21st March 2012 at 8:36PM
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

I startaed campaigning for a by pass 23 years ago when the tories ran the council and the Government.

I visited parliament to speak to ministers along with Andrew Stunnel to lobby for this road which then was under review. remember the red versus blue route.

I have campaigned all the time since then through various reviews and postponements by both Tory and Labour Governments.

Getting this road was one of the reasons we went into co-alition and now we have it. It will relieve traffic and consequent polution on the A6 I think the figures were around 30% I am just dissapointed it will not all be built. I will continue to press for the rest every time I meet someone including our MP Mr Stunell.

I see the tory supporters are coming out in droves now there must be an election coming up.

Is'nt Stunel spelt Stunnell?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
21st March 2012 at 10:13PM
I doubt you will find any quantitative evidence about this particular instance.

Not sure where the 30% figure comes from.

For me however it is progress in the right direction.
Guest xx
Drifter
22nd March 2012 at 2:46AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I doubt you will find any quantitative evidence about this particular instance.

Not sure where the 30% figure comes from.

For me however it is progress in the right direction.

The 30% figures came from Kevin, Oliver and he's not a man to just pluck figures out of thin air.

Yes and whilst I can appreciate it might be a step towards achieving the goverment's long term objective of improving Britain's infrastructure, what about the promises made now that the Grove's traffic and pollution will be reduced.

All I ask is how will this be achieved short term if only a partial bypass is planned for the future.

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
22nd March 2012 at 12:34PM
A detailed Traffic destination census has been taken for this figure to become apparent. Hgvs will access the M56 motorway as will west bound vehicles. East bound will still use the route through Torkington and Offerton Rds as now at least until the other half is built, I will not give up on this until it is.

The Tories cancelled it in 1991 if you remember Oliver The Tories were in power for 18 long years under Thatcher and Major your party were in power at the Town Hall as well Why didn`t it get built then?
Guest Poster
Drifter
22nd March 2012 at 7:10PM
Drifter Wrote:

cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

I startaed campaigning for a by pass 23 years ago when the tories ran the council and the Government.

I visited parliament to speak to ministers along with Andrew Stunnel to lobby for this road which then was under review. remember the red versus blue route.

I have campaigned all the time since then through various reviews and postponements by both Tory and Labour Governments.

Getting this road was one of the reasons we went into co-alition and now we have it. It will relieve traffic and consequent polution on the A6 I think the figures were around 30% I am just dissapointed it will not all be built. I will continue to press for the rest every time I meet someone including our MP Mr Stunell.

I see the tory supporters are coming out in droves now there must be an election coming up.

23 years and all that, yes that’s all very well and good Cllr and you and all others involved have my sincere backing for efforts in getting a Hazel Grove Bypass in place, and, I half expected you to chuck the Tory supporter comment in to try and deflect my NON POLITICAL (but resident of over 26 years) opinion away.

However, may I refer you back to the opening post asking you to clarify which Hazel Grove Bypass the Lib Dems and/or you are claiming victory for securing?

As far as I know, there is not Hazel Grove Bypass as your Keeping In Touch advert suggests. So, I think one of the following explanations might be relevant.

A – There IS going to be a Hazel Grove Bypass, and the Lib Dems / Cllr Hogg announced this fact yesterday by posting their advertisement through my letterbox.

B – There is NO agreement for a Hazel Grove ByPass. The Lib Dems advertisement was intentionally misleading, in a cynical attempt to conjure Hazel Grove support for the Hazel Grove Lib Dems who are up for election in a couple of months.

C - Other

I really cannot wait for your reply Cllr, but in the meantime I have re-produced here something I found on line which might help. Explanation of a Bypass “is a road or section of road that passes around an obstructed or congested area”.

Looking forward to your reply.

I support all efforts from any party to get a bypass built around HG Cllr. However, efforts aside, I have not seen a reply to the original question.

You have often said you always answer people - I think its a fair question. Either there is a bypass in the pipeline that none of us know about, or your keeping in touch flyer was very misleading...
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
23rd March 2012 at 10:39AM
I trhink you are splitting hairs on this one.
The by-Pass goes from Simpsons corner on the A6 out to the M56 near the airport.

It will according to traffic surveys, take almost 30% of traffic out of the Grove as many Hgv`s want to access the M6 having come up from the A50 south of Ashbourne missing out the chaos of the A6 round Birmingham.

Go stand at Debenhams on the hill towards Manchester and see how little traffic is left to continue to Manchester.

A lot of it turns left onto the M60 thenon to the M56 and M6 so missing the road wars that go on near the Trafford centre.
Road studies were done a couple of years ago that verify this.
Glen
Drifter
23rd March 2012 at 11:27AM
Hi cllr
Good point and it makes sense but think of it anouther way the traffic that will decide to use that route instead of that part of the m6 will cause congestion in the area on the far end of the grove and high lane, Disley will be even more busier and I don't think it will make a great deal to the grove personally as anyone from the area knows that most traffic is caused by the amount of lights in the grove, the supermarket traffic and then there great moor where one lane of the a6 is constantly parked on causing traffic through stepping hill lights in busy periods and then there's the traffic from Stockport grammar and the silly bus lane in Stockport that forces everyone into one lane, im sure if all these where sorted the a6 would flow so much better, yes there's trucks using the a6 and every little helps (asda pun) but these for me are the real probs that need sorting!
Also when you say there was a survey done and they knew traffic was bad on the a6 why was sainsburys allowed to open a giant supermarket in the middle of the grove and plonk anouther set of lights there?, wasn't there's supposed to be a roundabout originally????
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
23rd March 2012 at 12:07PM
It was not cancelled at all - I am not sure if you have your history right there.

Besides which Andrew Stunell once opposed the bypass when it suited him politically to do so as a Councillor.
Glen
Drifter
23rd March 2012 at 7:04PM
Heres anouther thought!!
I saw fuel prices hit a new high in the news today and there's going to be more rises and thrm the chancellor feels motorists aren't paying enough so he will be taking abit more too soon!
Surely there won't be any need for a bypass because no one will be able to afford to drive on the roads!!!!
<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23 >>