Do children NEED mobile phones?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 >>

Debbieh
Villager

Debbieh
Re: Do children NEED mobile phones?
25th January 2013 at 2:50PM
Good luck to all whose offspring havent turned to a terrible teen and tried to palm off anything less than a Blackberry or Iphone, they cant do anything at all with out them these days, not even walk across a busy road and watch where theyre going... and its no use trying to call them if theyre late or missing as they just turn them off and say the battery ran out ALL THE TIME!!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
26th January 2013 at 1:47PM
is that from experience that your kids turn theyre phones off?
if my kids do that they'll be getting theyre phones taken off them as thats the sole reason for having them so we have some sort of tabs on our kids today with all the jimmy savilles popping out the woodwork every day lol.
luckily my kids arent that old enough to go out on theyre own yet and only play on theyre phones in the house but im not looking forward till they get to that age!
Damien
Villager

Damien
26th January 2013 at 1:59PM
glenandem Wrote:

My kids 7 and 6 have iPhones I bought for Christmas, for me it was better than buying them iPods for playing games and listening to music as when they get a little older to take the phones out the house with them they already have these and they was both second hand phones which where cheaper than the iPods we'd looked at and I enjoy them sending me I love u daddy txts while I'm working in the day!
If they didn't have the iPhones I'd have got them basic cheapie phones, I think Somone could make a bomb out of designing a cheap phone that does the basics but also like iPhones can be tracked that way you can have some way of maybe tracking your kids if they ever went missing?

Why do they need "iPhones"? There are tons of Android phones that can do everything an iPhone can, for a fraction of the price (even a second hand iPhone!). There are also plenty of games and also apps that can track the handset on Android, so there is no reason for an iPhone specifically.

Unless of course you mean "smartphone" when you say "iPhone" like everyone does with "iPods" (aka MP3 Players).

Also, if you are worried that your kids wont fit in without an "iPhone" then they most likely wont with an ancient iPhone! (If it's second hand now and is intended for when grow up, it will be so outdated by then).
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
26th January 2013 at 2:35PM
Hi pal, we bought them iPhones as they're one of the simplest phones to use that's probably why they're so popular, even my mum has an iPhone!
They might be ancient when they come to use them as phones and to take out with them in years to come but at least they'll be a ok phone for a starter.
I had an android galaxy s3 a few months back and just wasn't for me,my preference is the iPhone, I really was getting bored with iPhones after the 4s I had but after having that galaxy I was so thankfull I took it back, I have the iPhone 5 now and find its same old apple but that suits me.
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
27th January 2013 at 12:55AM
I am totally sick and tired of mobiles phones regarding my family. you can be having a conversation and the bloody phone goes off with either phone call or message. My children now are 32,30,29,26. All of them drive me crazy as regards to the I PHONES. What is worse however is my 6 year old grandson comes to see nana and grandad with an I phone disconnected but able to play games, and he is so ignorant and unresponsive to conversation, I have told his parents and him I want no mobile phone when he visits us. I WANT QUALITY TIME.
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
27th January 2013 at 8:03AM
Haha we had exactly the same thing with our kids when we got them the phones for Christmas, it was like having braindead children but we've limited them to a certain amount of time in the weeknights and abit longer at weekends but if we go out anywhere the phones stay at home unless its a long car journey!
We had this problem when we bought them nintendo ds's as well and we managed that ok, like you say it's all about quality time and also these song affect they're school learning as my little boy is ahead of everyone else in his class with his reading words and maths and my little girl is somewhere there abouts, they must get it from the wife as I'm dumb as donkey!
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
1st February 2013 at 2:39PM
My daughter is 10 and has the cheapest, most basic phone I could find (a £10 Samsung E1200). I wanted her to have a phone so I can contact her when she goes to friends houses/stays over as she is wanting a little more independence, but spending loads on one just wasn't something I was willing to consider for her first phone. She likes her phone but often wants to use mine (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2) due to the apps so I've decided to get her a basic to mid-range Android phone for her 11th birthday but it will be on the understanding that it stays at home while she is at school, and only the basic one gets taken with her as I worry about her being mugged at high school.

She doesn't need a phone but I like her having one so that I can contact her/she can contact me when necessary. I don't personally understand the need for younger kids to have phones but I guess that's the parents choice, I'm sure some people wouldn't approve of the way I've chosen to approach it. Each to their own I suppose
<< 1 2 >>

Local Discussions

No recent discussions found.