Do children NEED mobile phones?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 >>

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
Do children NEED mobile phones?
20th January 2013 at 9:38PM, Edit: 20th January 2013 at 9:38PM by Adora
Just finished reading this piece about children being held at gunpoint for their mobile phones:-

kids held at gun point... over in Heaton Moor.

Got me thinking, are they safer with a phone or do phones just make them mugging magnets? I had a 50 minute walk/bus journey to and from school back in the 80's and mobis weren't even invented back then!

Any views on this?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Do children NEED mobile phones?
21st January 2013 at 2:35PM
They don't NEED them, non of us do. But they want them!

I can see the benefit to them having them, for instance so parents can contact their kids and vice versa, but maybe they shouldn't have expensive desirable phones. Lets face it they are much less likely to get snatched off them if they are basic phone with no resale value!
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
22nd January 2013 at 1:47PM
Both my lads(14 and 10, strange names, but I love them) have mobiles, bog standard, nowt flashy. Hopefully no self respecting scrote would bother with them.
My eldest saved for a lights and whistles mobile, but was relieved of it by a adult whilst in Manchester.Lesson learned.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
22nd January 2013 at 10:04PM

Oh bless him - man, it narks me. Work hard, save up for summat nice and some lazy scroat lopes along and helps themselves. I hope your eldest wasn't hurt when he had his phone taken, Blue.

Still in two minds over this one but from reading your two responses, think el cheapo phone is the way to go for a child/young teen.

BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
23rd January 2013 at 4:40PM
No injuries, just bruised pride!
Scott
CiviCr

Scott
23rd January 2013 at 5:08PM
Adora Wrote:

Still in two minds over this one but from reading your two responses, think el cheapo phone is the way to go for a child/young teen.

The article you linked to has this line in it:
"Two said they did not own one and another was handed back because the gunman did not like it.", It was most likely an 'el cheapo'.

I would agree that if children 'need' a phone, it should a basic "calls and texts" model.
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
23rd January 2013 at 8:31PM
My kids 7 and 6 have iPhones I bought for Christmas, for me it was better than buying them iPods for playing games and listening to music as when they get a little older to take the phones out the house with them they already have these and they was both second hand phones which where cheaper than the iPods we'd looked at and I enjoy them sending me I love u daddy txts while I'm working in the day!
If they didn't have the iPhones I'd have got them basic cheapie phones, I think Somone could make a bomb out of designing a cheap phone that does the basics but also like iPhones can be tracked that way you can have some way of maybe tracking your kids if they ever went missing?
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
24th January 2013 at 9:18AM
Wow phones at 6 and 7 years old! Other than their parents, who in hell would a young child need to ring i wonder?

I see you point about the ipod bit, and i know it's the way the world is now, but i still find it shocking that kids this young have phones!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
natbags
Villager

natbags
24th January 2013 at 12:26PM
i am completly flabberghasted that 6 and 7 year olds have been bought i phones,wot on earth do they realy need them for? do they not do enough lessons in technology and so on at schools these dayss? im sure my son does. it makes me wonder if children have such things so young are they realy appreciative of them and wot they are actually meant for?
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
24th January 2013 at 7:47PM
i know 6 and 7 is crazy but like i say we didnt get them iphones for the phone capability we got them for the ipod and theyre always playing games on our phones so we thought why not get them ipods for themselves to play on as they always leave sticky fingers on our screens too!
we got iphones as they was cheaper than ipods and i found the iphones were looked after better than ipods generally as we bought them second hand ones.
they dont have any credit on theyre phones so they cant call anyone but for me its a no brainer as in a few years if theyve not broken the phones i can put credit on and away they go plus theyve got theyre games and music on and the biggest thing for me is the fnd my iphone app where you can track the phone so hopefully it would help to find them if they ever went missing?
i do agree its crazy to have phones at that age but all theyre friends have iphones etc at school and unfortunatly what kids see other kids have they want, maybe its me being old but it todays youth, i remember when i was a kid i couldnt have a tv in my bedroom untill i was like ten or 11 and nowadays its normal for kids to have tv's in thyre rooms, its just modern times!
<< 1 2 >>

Local Discussions

No recent discussions found.