10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Who remembers Seven Miles Out in the 60’s and

<< 1 2 >>

sundave
Townsperson

sundave
Who remembers Seven Miles Out in the 60’s and
18th June 2012 at 2:51PM
Seven Miles Out is making a comeback albeit in a different guise.

I must have spent a fortune in their when I was younger, it was so much better than the boutiques in Manchester and a lot cheaper too.

Happy days!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
Re: Who remembers Seven Miles Out in the 60s and
18th June 2012 at 6:27PM
Was it near the Garrick Theatre?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vege
Drifter
22nd June 2012 at 7:50PM
yes I remember it being where the hat works entrance is now,but can,t for the life of me remember what it was and don't remember seeing it open.
Drifter
Re: Who remembers Seven Miles Out in the 60�s an
23rd June 2012 at 11:54AM, Edit: 23rd June 2012 at 8:11PM by Administrator
Nemo
Drifter
23rd June 2012 at 2:57PM
sundave Wrote:

Seven Miles Out is making a comeback albeit in a different guise.

I must have spent a fortune in their when I was younger, it was so much better than the boutiques in Manchester and a lot cheaper too.

Happy days!

Yes I remember it well, cheers, for reminding me just how old I am, also remember queuing outside the Essoldo cinema across the road, to see the likes of the Rolling stones, the Animals and several other top groups of the day, happy days.
Pam Jordan (nee True
Drifter
24th June 2012 at 12:14PM
The owner of the shop was MILES BADDELEY, hence the play on words with his name and the distance from Manchester. I was a student at the college in 1968 and myself and friends helped Miles to extend the shop by utilising the basement area and painting the walls white - and we did it for free because Miles was such a 'cool dude'
In fact, this area of the shop housed part of the wartime tunnels that are under the centre of Stockport. We found old comics (such as the Eagle), and bottles of pop still there from many years ago; but didn't venture very far into the tunnels in case of rats (or worse).
The shop was a kind of forerunner of Habitat and is where, when I married - bought a very trendy brown cord settee, which had smokey brown acrylic arms and base. I thought it was wonderful. Happy days!!!
Ferikmalae
Idler

Ferikmalae
Re: Who remembers Seven Miles Out
3rd May 2014 at 7:19AM
I remember it vividly. I used to go there every weekend just to hang out. They used to sell joss sticks - I remember one called "Strawberry Fields" - which they burnt continually.... patchouli oil, cheesecloth shirts and maxi skirts, novelties of all kinds, pop-art posters... there was always "progressive" music playing. How I loved it. I remember plucking up the courage to ask for a job there, but I wasn't hired. I would have paid them, probably The photo brings it all back. It was an amazing place; it was the centre of fashion and pop culture in Stockport at the time. There was also a pub called the Spectrum which had a similar vibe, where I'd go to "freak out" to "heavy music" of the era... and another one across the square, with a club in the basement, that I used to go to, as well. This was probably in the mid-70s.
tarboat
Villager

tarboat
Re: Who remembers Seven Miles Out in the 60’s and
3rd May 2014 at 8:02AM
It was a cool place to visit and sold much more interesting clothing than anywhere else locally.
DavidMcDermott
Newcomer

DavidMcDermott
Re: Who remembers Seven Miles Out in the 60
4th June 2014 at 11:48AM
Pam, did you run a magazine at Stockport College called SCREW: Stockport College Review of Events Weekly?
kulcuthbert
Newcomer

kulcuthbert
16th June 2015 at 5:18AM
I worked there for the last six months of its time... it was a weekend store (10AM to 10PM)- it was then based on the original Biba Store in London and supposedly 'Seven Miles out of Manchester!!! ' owned by a guy called Miles Baddeley who was also an environmentalist and an entrepreneur - he was well ahead of his time!    
great place, amazing people used to visit - we sold some really fab stuff that Miles bought from all over the country and big amounts of handmade bits and pieces designed and made locally. There was a vast amount of second-hand clothing and furniture sold in the basement! - reclaimed, also upcycling furniture being striped and ready for re-painting or waxed - nowadays, it would be classed as an artisan store. They were fab times during the late 60's early 70's remnant's of the hippie days. Sadly, nothing last forever!

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
16th June 2015 at 11:56AM
I remember the water beds that they used to sell. Brilliant! The first shop that I saw that had round windows. Looked so futuristic.

Does anyone remember Hardwick-Smith's in Underbank as well. It was designed with quite a similar concept in mind. I used to work there when I was 15. It was like a mini store with 3 shops in one, selling cloths, garden furniture and bric-a-brac. Always smelt so nice and had Brain Ferry playing in the background. I loved it.

I thought that Underbank was so posh back then with Winters the jewellers next door. I used to love shopping in Stockport especially on a Saturday when I used to look for bargains in Stockport Market.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..