A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

We need parking

1234dist
Villager

1234dist
We need parking
1st April 2014 at 11:23AM
Having spoken to a few traders in hazel grove, they are all struggling.

Their bigest problem, foot fall. The only place people can park is the supermarkets and then don't bother going back into the town to see what the locals can offer.

We need parking!

How about putting tempory parking along the a6 for 20min max stays through the hours of 10:00-15:00 while traffic is light (i know) and then back to dual lanes in peak times.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: We need parking
1st April 2014 at 3:33PM
I’m not sure that the lack of parking facilities is the problem. There are plenty of car parks in the Grove that are only a few minutes away from the small shops. If shoppers really wanted to explore the Grove further I’m sure that they could just park up in one of them and simply walk back and take a look.

Speaking as a local who doesn’t need to park to shop I personally don’t like shopping in the centre of the Grove anymore. Perhaps it’s because everything you need can be found in the supermarkets or maybe it’s because the A6 has just become far too busy, even at the quietest time you still have the big lorries hurtling past – just doesn’t seem worth making the effort anymore.

I do however feel sorry for local businesses as I can remember a time when the Grove had such a good variety of excellent small shops and was really busy. It was never a particular nice place to shop though because of the busy A6. But then they opened Sainsbury’s and the small shops just went out of business.

So in answer to your question I don’t think that a few more parking spaces would entice shoppers to stop and shop not when they have so many supermarkets in such a small area to satisfy their needs.

I’m really sorry that I’ve not been much help but unfortunately everything the customer now seems to want and need is at one end of the Grove and there’s not a lot to make customers want to drift any further up a busy A6. Perhaps in the planning stage it should have been spread more apart.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
1st April 2014 at 3:34PM
I thought hazel grove already had parking spaces like commercial, a select few side streets, down behind that chippy across from mcd's, train station, behind the pub next to asda and generally parking in the supermarkets and walking around?
I think it would be great for the local shops though to have parking outside however I just can't see it happening on the a6 even in the supposed quiet times like you say, have you ever seen that wagon that parks outside the electrical shop before turning onto commercial or the pet shop van just across from Barclays that likes to stop a lane of traffic on a regular basis!
The traffic backlogs very quickly.
Maybe when the airport relief rd gets built and hazel groves like a ghost town as they'd like you to believe then why not turn hazel grove into a one lane road with the other lane made into parking and do something like they've done in poynton!
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
1st April 2014 at 3:39PM
Serenity I think you've hit the nail on the head there, it's more due to the big supermarkets and sainsburys being built was the last one!
There was already coop,kwiksave and Iceland which was about on level then sainsburys being the monster store has taken a lot of money away from the grove, you only have to look how busy it is.
Wonder if this was ever considered when the planning was put in years ago?
slim
Townsperson

slim
1st April 2014 at 3:56PM
Perhaps when the airport relief road is built and there's no traffic on the A6? Then they can pedestrianise the grove ?
1234dist
Villager

1234dist
1st April 2014 at 5:32PM
No disrespect to local citizens, but the on street parking is more to tap into the impulse purchase of one of the 200,000* cars a day that just see hazel grove as that bit where there are too many lights.

The people who see a newspaper shop, or café or even a fruit stall or bike shop but then just as they are ready to buy, the hunt for spaces begins and before they know it they are already in Poynton or Disly or the Heatons.

* not confirmed figure.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
2nd April 2014 at 8:58AM, Edit: 2nd April 2014 at 9:00AM by Serenity
Can you imagine the disruption such a scheme would cause. I just can't visualise any part of the A6 being suitable to allow for cars to just pull over without causing any problems. I can see where your coming from with the idea and it does work for some areas such as Woodsmoor where part of the road has such a scheme. But as for the A6 with it's buses and HGV's hurtling past I just can't see it happening. I think unfortunately the only way forward is to try to entice the locals by selling products that they can't get anywhere else.
1234dist
Villager

1234dist
2nd April 2014 at 9:10AM
but it already happens, as soon as you reach the car lots its single file.
Rusholm, been single file lanes 24/7 for god knows how long, to the point they no long prosecute parking on double yellows.
Withington, 20 min parking bays through the centre.

Now these are busy roads but they seem to have handled it for a good number of years.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
2nd April 2014 at 10:02AM
The problem is the A6 section going through hazel grove has all the traffic going between the m60 and buxton and beyond, that a hell of a lot of wagons and especially heavy trucks (aggregate and the such), beyond the M60 at Stockport you don't get much of this traffic and its mostly buses, cars and a smattering of goods vehicles.

Great moor have wide pavements and the space to create parking bays whilst still maintaining 2 lanes albeit there are parts where cars still block a lane and it causes traffic to back up when they do (car supermarkets) often right back through the grove.

Part of..

Tagged With..