10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

vulcan at woodford

<< 1 2 >>

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
vulcan at woodford
7th May 2013 at 9:09PM
hi guys,i know the forums about most things hazel grove but hopefully there maybe somone on here that worked at woodford aersopace and keeps up with what goes on there these days, i noticed the white vulcan thats been sat in its place for yrs has been moved now to the far side and just wondered if anyone knew why?
im a vulcan fan ever since i saw one at the airshow in the good old days and always wondered whats going to happen to that white one since they closed the place down?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
Re: vulcan at woodford
7th May 2013 at 11:46PM, Edit: 7th May 2013 at 11:47PM by vulcanman
There has been a plan for some sort of museum for which this would be the centre piece. However, she has been in poor condition for sometime as the select old timers from Avro, the 603 club, have been unable to work on her. A couple of years ago some parts were removed from XM603 to support the flying XH558. Sadly, she is likely to be cut up.
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
8th May 2013 at 12:37AM
I have not got a clue about the white vulcan bomber, didnt even know there was one. But when woodford airshow was on what a spectacular sight the vulcan was (not the white one). very daunting, but was in total awe. Brilliant looking plane, I loved it. I could go on about aircraft but I wont.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
8th May 2013 at 12:44AM, Edit: 8th May 2013 at 12:51AM by Norma_Stitts
vulcanman Wrote:

There has been a plan for some sort of museum for which this would be the centre piece. However, she has been in poor condition for sometime as the select old timers from Avro, the 603 club, have been unable to work on her. A couple of years ago some parts were removed from XM603 to support the flying XH558. Sadly, she is likely to be cut up.

I had heard, going back about 12 months, that it was being 'restored' (read as, the outside tarted up) and it being part of a Heritage Centre that would be constructed somewhere on site?

It's probably 13 years since I had to shimmy up a ladder, remove the covers, venture into the wings and turn the engines over by hand, quite a strange feeling even though you knew they wouldn't just kick into life. LOL. I think the engines are what got pilfered weren't they as they supposedly had 0 flying hours?

I remember that it was a tired old corroded dog back then. I prefered the old pick up truck the old boys had tucked up in that locker nearby.

It's 'final movement' is on YouTube by the way.

P.S. Glenandem, how did you know it had moved? Do you play football around the back? (Turn in by Olivers Restaurant opposite Sphere?)
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
8th May 2013 at 4:03PM
hi guys cheers for replys!
ive always noticed it from when my uncle used to own the kennels in adlington just across the road from the little chef and u can see it on the far side, i remember years ago we used to have a bbq on his lawn and watch the airshow and the planes used to come right over,one of the vulcans actually cracked one of his windows once but watching that beast fly over with the bomb doors open was immense!
i regulary go on bike rides up to macc and saw the giant model vulcan flying around woodford last year and the other day i saw 603 had been moved over the fields as u can see it from the main rd through adlington.
i remember the engines always being tested at that place could hear them across the fields most days and i was even lucky enough to see the antonov that landed there and the unfortunate spitfire crash.
such a shame that a piece of english heritage has gone, i dont know the politics of woodford but i heard the place had been destined to shut for years but surely the gov maybe could have put money into building a revolutionary aircraft or something abit like all the car factorys,we should have built better cars and striked less lol, who knows but a shame that a big housing estate will be built around there, no wonder all the houses are going up for sale in the area!
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
8th May 2013 at 5:55PM
I recall the Antanov brought in 3 of the Nimrod fuselages for refurb (another Woodford f*** up). They let us all out to stand by the canteen brought it onto the runway. As it was quite a distance away I commented that it didn't look that big. Then they put an RJ next to it and it would have practically fitted under the wings. LOL.

I never realised it could be seen from Adlington and I'm forever going up and down that road.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
8th May 2013 at 8:56PM
Yeah straight after the little chef heading to macc u got the turn in for the golf range, that field there you can look straight across and see it just near where I think the fire station used to be at the other side of the runway, I can't believe it's not been used as a private airport or for freight maybe bring so close to mcr airport and all the local richies who can afford private air transport, Somone told me it had its own pipeline for fuel to mcr airport but not sure if that's true or not!
The biggest shame is they should have done one last airshow before they completely shut the place, probably would have rained though like always!!
Just anouther British instruction going to disapear while we import things from other countries, the British people are supposedly some of the most clever people around at designing and making things, so why didn't the gov save the place and actually make things we needed ourselves, it's like France you go over there and the roads are full of French cars or USA and generally American made cars, I know ours became crap but why was it allowed to get like that!!
Anyway rant over there, there's no saving this country as long as we're the muppets in the eu!
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
8th May 2013 at 9:22PM
Norma_Stitts Wrote:

I recall the Antanov brought in 3 of the Nimrod fuselages for refurb (another Woodford f*** up). They let us all out to stand by the canteen brought it onto the runway. As it was quite a distance away I commented that it didn't look that big. Then they put an RJ next to it and it would have practically fitted under the wings. LOL.

I never realised it could be seen from Adlington and I'm forever going up and down that road.
Yes indeed norma, we may even have stood next to each other, I remember it well seeing the antonov land with the first nimrod fuselage, If I recall, the original contract to refirb the nimrods was snatched back , this is why the fuse was flown in because it had already been stripped down. I was employed at woodford for 15 years, how long was there there for norma,? also if vulcanman wishes to get in touch, I can give him the latest info on the vulcan (603) that was moved recently.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
8th May 2013 at 10:21PM
Do u know if its possible to get a close up viewing of the Vulcan?
Would love to see that thing real close, such an amazing plane!
Even now it still looks modern to me and hard to believe it has been around since the 60s, bet people thought it was a UFO back then lol when it first went up, I've heard the story of it wrecking the glass at woodford too!
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
8th May 2013 at 11:45PM
Hope you had your knickers on Norma when you shimmied up the ladder. Or did you go commando, wit woo. My dad worked at woodford, Oh I wish he was still alive to tell me about the planes at woodford. I am definately an aircraft freak. I literally cried when Woodford airshows stopped. It is a bad loss to the stockport community, such a popular event.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..