A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Traffic

TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
Traffic
24th October 2014 at 7:30AM
I know there have been plenty of posts on here in the past relating to the Poynton shared space road scheme and if this has been covered feel free to zap my post.

Since early September, a change in family circumstances means that a few times a week I have to drive through Poynton at around 8.30am.

When i first started this, i was warned about congestion due to road works as they were having to re-lay a lot of the fancy paving as it was collapsing due to weight of traffic (didn't see that coming!!!!)

Anyway, said roadworks were gone by mid September but the traffic is still hell, queuing all the way back to Anglesey Drive and creating about 30 minutes delay every morning!

Now, going back a few years a go, before the "shared space scheme" was adopted, I used to have to use this route a lot and would have around a 5-10 minute delay as the traffic queued back to around the Sports Club.

Does anyone know if there are any other factors causing this delay or is this how rush hour will be through this area for the foreseeable?

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
Re: Traffic
24th October 2014 at 11:07AM
From what i can see having to use the route myself occasionally not only at rush hour but also during the day. These additional delays are entirely a product of the 'shared space'.

Sometimes i have found that the traffic flows quite well, it seems to rely entirely on the (as far as i can see) random pattern of pedestrian traffic. If you hit it at a time there is not many pedestrians you can get through quite quickly but when there are a lot of pedestrians it can really snarl right up. Now the locals are getting used to it they just walk out across the road, a lot! so its very very stop start.
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
30th October 2014 at 3:02PM
there are ways around this traffic jam ;) but i'm not going to let you in on my secret
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
30th October 2014 at 3:17PM
Having tried the other routes over Middlewood or up Chester Road and cutting through Clifford Road I decided the best thing to do was chuck my son out of the car half way up Poynton Straits and let him walk the rest of the way to his new job in Adlington 😃 (that's my shortcut)
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
31st October 2014 at 4:08PM
TwistedBanana Wrote:

Having tried the other routes over Middlewood or up Chester Road and cutting through Clifford Road I decided the best thing to do was chuck my son out of the car half way up Poynton Straits and let him walk the rest of the way to his new job in Adlington 😃 (that's my shortcut)

haaa I like your style :)

I can get thorough the poynton traffic in about 5/6 minutes.

Part of..