A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Town Hall isolation

sam39
Villager

sam39
Town Hall isolation
30th June 2014 at 10:49AM
Does anyone know how to phone the Council to report fly tipping? The Phone Book refers you to a direct number listed in a 'main advertisement' - unfortunately the advertisement does not appear in the Phone Book. If you ring the main Town Hall switchboard, a recorded voice says all the lines are busy and hangs up. I was given 217-6111 by a neighbour, but after listening to inane music for 20 minutes I gave up. Any suggestions?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
Re: Town Hall isolation
30th June 2014 at 11:08AM
I's report it online ... http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/environment/biggreenborough/reportit/
sam39
Villager

sam39
30th June 2014 at 11:22AM
Thanks - I will do that if necessary. But I prefer to speak to someone; online reports tend to vanish with no obvious evidence that they have been read or acted upon. It still seems strange that it is so difficult to speak to a Council Department by phone.
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
30th June 2014 at 12:34PM
If you prefer to speak to someone, wait on the phone.
You can't actually be expecting to speak to a human being at the council quicker than 20 minutes!
Fi_nix
Top Reviewer

Fi_nix
30th June 2014 at 2:49PM
Phone Kevin Hogg on his direct line (see link below).

I saw him take a call about fly tipping once and, to be fair, he was on to the relevant department like hot snot. 2 Hours later, it was cleared (layby on Offerton Road).

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=134
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
30th June 2014 at 11:51PM
Theres something wrong with SMBC when you have to revert to contacting a Mayor or a Councillor over something as simple as this ...
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
1st July 2014 at 8:27AM
I'd call too if I was you, I sent an online report about some of the bushes on the a6 growing right over the footpath and never heard nothing back and thought it was getting too dangerous when your having to step onto the main rd into oncoming traffic to get where your going so called the council up and had to wait 20-25 mins to be put through while listening to some stupid recording telling me I could do it online every minute!
You really wonder where your c tax goes especially as we're one of the highest payers
sam39
Villager

sam39
1st July 2014 at 9:48AM
Thanks to all for advice. The rubbish was removed this morning after being there for five days - which did include the weekend to be fair. Nothing to do with me I'm afraid. Nevertheless, I think there is something wrong with a system that makes it so difficult to report a nuisance or indeed speak to a real person about any matter whether to get information or to report. Which brings me back to the Phone Book. Stockport Council has an entry for fly tipping, this entry refers you to a 'main advertisement' where the entry states you will find a number to ring. Unfortunately, someone forgot to include the 'main advertisement' so it is impossible to find the number. Perhaps another symptom of council cuts?