10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Touching distance

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

OldTom
Idler

OldTom
Re: Touching distance
8th May 2012 at 3:26PM
This is about Stockport, not Manchester United. Typical of City to make it all about Man U though. And if you want to know the truth, as a County fan I would be turning down that sort of silly money. That's because I care about more than grubbing around for some silverware at the cost of my club.

City fans are being disingenuous anyway, because it was not about one rich man's money. It was about anybody giving them money at any cost. They could have had the decency to at least look appalled at Shinawatra's involvement when he was sniffing around you. Instead they were seen to be begging for his involvement, despite what was known about him at the time.

City are just another horrible rich club. There's nothing that makes them much different to any of the rest of them, save for the fact they're new to the table.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
8th May 2012 at 3:34PM

You'd turn the money down if it was offered to County?

Funny that because if Al Capone himself pumped in several of is ill-gotten millions right now, County bosses would squeal with delight and roll over to let him tickle their tummies!
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
8th May 2012 at 3:36PM
Tosh Tosh and more Tosh, SAF soon found wages for Wooney when he had his dicky fit and while we're on the subject of money and foreign owners, last i heard The Good Ole USA isn't British anymore. To top it off, when United floated on the Stock Exchange in the early nineties most of the "investors" were foreign and the club got a massive injection of cash which they duly spent on players.

All footie fans are fickle, including us and we all winge and moan about other clubs fortunes, but don't deny that you haven't bought your way to the top at some point because you have.
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
8th May 2012 at 3:37PM
ps - I am aware Al Capone is dead and I was talking metaphorically...just thought I'd point that out before me stalker jumped on it.

slim
Townsperson

slim
8th May 2012 at 3:50PM
[QUOTE=Adora]
You'd turn the money down if it was offered to County?

Funny that because if Al Capone himself pumped in several of is ill-gotten millions right now, County bosses would squeal with delight and roll over to let him tickle their tummies![/.                           Your damn right we would
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
8th May 2012 at 4:00PM
Adora Wrote:

ps - I am aware Al Capone is dead and I was talking metaphorically...just thought I'd point that out before me stalker jumped on it.

What stalker? thought limecat had backed off since me and you became an item, or was that just the heady atmosphere of the duck race.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
8th May 2012 at 4:06PM, Edit: 8th May 2012 at 4:36PM by Coleman
sundave Wrote:

Tosh Tosh and more Tosh, SAF soon found wages for Wooney when he had his dicky fit and while we're on the subject of money and foreign owners, last i heard The Good Ole USA isn't British anymore. To top it off, when United floated on the Stock Exchange in the early nineties most of the "investors" were foreign and the club got a massive injection of cash which they duly spent on players.

All footie fans are fickle, including us and we all winge and moan about other clubs fortunes, but don't deny that you haven't bought your way to the top at some point because you have.

Rooney, pretty much held us to ransom, and got away with it too, don't really blame him, but he is our highest paid play by a long shot and i'd bet still paid less then some of the lesser players city have, the majority of which only signed with city for the wage packet!

As for our foreign owners, it may have escaped your attention but the majority of United fans don't like the Glazers and would gladly see the back of them, add to that the fact our owners are actually taking money out of the club and it's not a relevant comparison.

And making money from floating on the stock exchange is nothing like getting money pumped in! Any stock exchange flotation is going to generate cash based on the clubs successes and is basically just releasing capital from the company! IF the club isn't/hasn't been successful then a stock sell off won't generate much cash.

It's like i said though, i don't know any city fans who didn't have a problem with Chelsea doing the same thing they now are! Now it's them doing it..... Hypocrites i think the word is!

Also got to say on the subject of glory hunting, i have noticed a large increase in City shirts being worn around Stockport and more and more people professing to being City fans! Now that either means that previously people didn't want to admit to supporting them or they have mysteriously gained a large number of new fans since they won the arab owner lottery! Neither of which shows this loyalty most City fans claim is common to them!

One final thing, has any one considered how we will get rid of that Gallagher idiot again, if he does indeed move back to Manchester if city win?

I hope someone has a plan for that!
OldTom
Idler

OldTom
8th May 2012 at 4:25PM
Adora - you appear to be missing the point. There is only so much we can do if our owners decide to do something, but as a fan I would not want it or welcome it, no.

City fans couldn't wait to get in Shinawatra. I've no idea whether the mods on here are overly cautious, so I will not describe him as a corrupt human rights abuser. Even though in the former case that was shown to be true in the courts and in the latter respected organisations had already noted what was relevant. That information was readily available to any City fans who wanted to bother themselves.

Now, I don't suggest the fans could have prevented the then owners from selling to him if they so wished. But they could have made it clear they didn't want him at their club. They didn't. That speaks volumes.

And FWIW at Edgeley Park we protested when it was suggested we might move to Maine Road. The idea was dropped forthwith. (Whether the idea was any good in the first place is irrelevant - our then owners thought it was and without us stepping in they'd have got a lot further with it.)
Jonny
Drifter
8th May 2012 at 4:41PM
Breaking News: Manchester City have just announced that they are changing their name from next season to United Emirates. The news comes as something of a shock to Manchester City fans who are quite upset, but not to the outside observers who had been predicting this move for quite some time. The name was the only thing left of the traditional Manchester City that had not yet been sold off to the highest bidder following the sale of the Stadium, the Stadium naming rights and the team members in recent years.
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
8th May 2012 at 7:27PM, Edit: 8th May 2012 at 7:29PM by BlueGrover
Coleman Wrote:

sundave Wrote:

Rooney, pretty much held us to ransom, and got away with it too, don't really blame him, but he is our highest paid play by a long shot and i'd bet still paid less then some of the lesser players city have, the majority of which only signed with city for the wage packet!

As for our foreign owners, it may have escaped your attention but the majority of United fans don't like the Glazers and would gladly see the back of them, add to that the fact our owners are actually taking money out of the club and it's not a relevant comparison.

And making money from floating on the stock exchange is nothing like getting money pumped in! Any stock exchange flotation is going to generate cash based on the clubs successes and is basically just releasing capital from the company! IF the club isn't/hasn't been successful then a stock sell off won't generate much cash.

It's like i said though, i don't know any city fans who didn't have a problem with Chelsea doing the same thing they now are! Now it's them doing it..... Hypocrites i think the word is!

Also got to say on the subject of glory hunting, i have noticed a large increase in City shirts being worn around Stockport and more and more people professing to being City fans! Now that either means that previously people didn't want to admit to supporting them or they have mysteriously gained a large number of new fans since they won the arab owner lottery! Neither of which shows this loyalty most City fans claim is common to them!

One final thing, has any one considered how we will get rid of that Gallagher idiot again, if he does indeed move back to Manchester if city win?

I hope someone has a plan for that!
The Gallagher boys V Terry Christian, Eamonn Holmes or Mick Hucknall? You would'nt have them round for tea would you?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>