Touching distance

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Limecat
Banned
Re: Touching distance
8th May 2012 at 10:42AM
Coleman Wrote:

sundave Wrote:

The reference to money never goes away does it.

Because it's valid! You can't buy your way to success and expect people not to be irritated by it!

If City do win the league (almost a certainty now, i have to admit/accept) then it will be a hollow victory when its been bought and paid for! But hey, you blues have to take them where you can get them!

The only solace is that i firmly believe you will just become another Chelsea! We dealt with them, and they were a decent side before the money.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Another Chelsea?

Why do people keep coming out with this statement? It's crazy. Chelsea were a competitive and successful side in the time before Abromovich came along. They were winning FA Cups, League Cup, Super Cup, UEFA Cup Winners Cup and placed high in the Premiership.

What did City do? Sweet F A. (No, I do not mean Football Association). Oh, no sorry they got promoted from the Championship about 12 years ago at Ewood Park (I was at that one) and until they managed to buy a trophy last year they had a worse cup record than my team, Oldham Athletic, in the previous 20 years! LMFAO.

1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
8th May 2012 at 11:30AM
Limecat Wrote:

Another Chelsea?

Why do people keep coming out with this statement? It's crazy. Chelsea were a competitive and successful side in the time before Abromovich came along.

That's debatable! Prior to 2005 the last time they had won the league was the 50's. Inbetween they had the odd league cup or fa cup but certainly no success worth getting all excited about!

I suppose they were slightly better then City, but not a lot!

Besides the Chelsea comparison is to show that throwing around money might well win you a cup or two short term, but once the honeymoon period is over then it's back to business as usual!

Look at Chelsea now, they are only slightly better then the team they were before Abromavich!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Limecat
Banned
8th May 2012 at 12:46PM
Coleman Wrote:

Limecat Wrote:

Another Chelsea?

Why do people keep coming out with this statement? It's crazy. Chelsea were a competitive and successful side in the time before Abromovich came along.

That's debatable! Prior to 2005 the last time they had won the league was the 50's. Inbetween they had the odd league cup or fa cup but certainly no success worth getting all excited about!

Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003. The last honours they had won were the FA Cup and the Charity Shield in 2000, just 3 years previously.

Sheik Whatshisname took over City in 2008. The last honour they won was the League Cup (which has a smaller pool of entrants than the FA Cup) in 1976, some 32 years earlier.

Or to put it another way, between 1997 (6 years before Roman) and 2000 (3 years before Roman) Chelsea won 2 FA Cups, League Cup, Charity Shield, UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Super Cup.

In the 6 years before Sheik Whatshisname arrived City had won...NOTHING. Infact, they had won NOTHING for 32 years.

In a 3 year period Chelsea picked up 6 trophies. In a 32 year period City picked up NONE. Almost 11 times longer in terms of time and they couldn't ever achieve 1/6th of the success in that time.

So, yeah I stand by the fact that Chelsea were already a successful team and therefore City fans painting a notion that they are simply doing what Chelsea did is blatantly incorrect. Mind you, City fans are both thick and fickle as can be shown by the Tevez saga.
slim
Townsperson

slim
8th May 2012 at 1:37PM
oh dear did the nasty county fans upset the blues we really should know our place.
as for buying the title of course they are as did utd chelsea and blackburn if you dont spend big money you don't win the league ask the arsenal fans.
old whiskey nose blames city for inflating prices in the transfer market not true he paid plenty for players in the past he paid 50million for 3 players at the start of this season not exactly peanuts is it.
i hope city win the league but only because i had 20 on them at the start of the season.
OldTom
Idler

OldTom
8th May 2012 at 1:56PM
Blimey. Yet more City fans who supported County until County had the temerity to beat them and enjoy it.

Like the tens of thousands who claim to have been at Blackburn that day, this is just another City myth. If there really were all these City fans out there who'd been turning up to support their town's club we'd never have been getting the low crowds we were in the 80s.

Fact is, Stockport-based City fans are just another form of glory seeker. The type they have a pop at if they're wearing a red shirt. The cover story they they all supported us as a second team until we started taking the mickey and forgetting our place is precisely that - a cover.

You'll have bought the title. Well done. Enjoy the magnificent hollowness of it all.
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
8th May 2012 at 2:02PM
Coleman Wrote:

sundave Wrote:

The reference to money never goes away does it.

Because it's valid! You can't buy your way to success and expect people not to be irritated by it!

If City do win the league (almost a certainty now, i have to admit/accept) then it will be a hollow victory when its been bought and paid for! But hey, you blues have to take them where you can get them!

The only solace is that i firmly believe you will just become another Chelsea! We dealt with them, and they were a decent side before the money.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

We intend to believe me.

Let's put it into perspective, according to The Guardian, Uniteds team against Swansea cost 165.1million, Citys team against Newcastle 166.1million.

Man City ruining football since 2008!

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
8th May 2012 at 2:03PM, Edit: 8th May 2012 at 2:25PM by Coleman
I certainly wouldn't have considered Chelsea as a successful club prior to RA taking over, the charity shield is not much more then a friendly, and the league cup is not much better.

I have to admit though, i hadn't realized they had won quite so much in recentish history! And despite most of it being chaff, it's still a damn sight more then City have won in the last 30 years! So i'll admit you have a point!

sundave Wrote:

Let's put it into perspective, according to The Guardian, Uniteds team against Swansea cost 165.1million, Citys team against Newcastle 166.1million.

Man City ruining football since 2008!

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the wages Dave?

What about the fact that virtually none of the money spent by City was earned through competing? Instead it was all just pumped in by someone looking to buy a cup or two!

And here's another Chelsea comparison coming up, every City fan i know (and living in Stockport i know a few) just like every other football fan that didn't support Chelsea said that RA was ruining football pumping all this money in! And now they have their own foreign owner buying them success it's fine, no problem, 'good for football' i even heard one try and argue!
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
8th May 2012 at 2:43PM

So if Sheik Yabooty tipped up to County and said, "There ya go, open cheque book. Buy what ever you need, do what ever it takes!" you'd all turn in disgust and feel all hollow inside?

Come to think of it, if Sheik Yabooty came along and added even more millions to Ferguson's buying budget, you'd all definitely consider that a bad thing and anything added to the silverware cupboard thereafter would be, in your opinion, pretty much worthless because it had been won by the best players in the world who were 'bought' for your team?

Give over - and get off your high horses. City's fortunes ebb and flow like any other clubs. In City's case, more ebb than flow, hence, any of us that support the Blues are due a bit of a break after so many years being in the shadow of our red neighbours. Can't you Utd fans afford to be generous, even briefly?
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
8th May 2012 at 3:02PM
You can't just pump in money any more like City and Chelsea have done in previous years under the new UEFA rules that come into force next season(or at least soon) which is why City were getting worried so they decided to sell their naming rights to, errmmm, themselves for a very large amount of money to balance the books! (which UEFA are supposedly looking at the legality of)
Nemo
Drifter
8th May 2012 at 3:05PM
Adora Wrote:

So if Sheik Yabooty tipped up to County and said, "There ya go, open cheque book. Buy what ever you need, do what ever it takes!" you'd all turn in disgust and feel all hollow inside?

Come to think of it, if Sheik Yabooty came along and added even more millions to Ferguson's buying budget, you'd all definitely consider that a bad thing and anything added to the silverware cupboard thereafter would be, in your opinion, pretty much worthless because it had been won by the best players in the world who were 'bought' for your team?

Give over - and get off your high horses. City's fortunes ebb and flow like any other clubs. In City's case, more ebb than flow, hence, any of us that support the Blues are due a bit of a break after so many years being in the shadow of our red neighbours. Can't you Utd fans afford to be generous, even briefly?

Well said Adora, but sadly, since Trevor Francis became the first million pound transfer, ironically to City, money has become a massive part of the modern game, as for United fans being generous, not much chance of that with the Glazers fiddling the purse strings
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>