Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

[ Thread Deleted ]

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

This post has been removed by a Forum Moderator because it broke the house rules.

GillB
Townsperson

GillB
Re: Kids have no where to go?
10th May 2007 at 4:09PM
Well I think you hit the nail on the head

they have scouts - at least 4 troops in HG, Guides, the various church youth clubs, ...... HG Brass band, HG orchestra, ..... and Norbury Bell Ringers for the desperate.....

I doubt most young en's would be cough dead doing half them things.

I was a cub/scout/etc when I was younger but its not really "cool" is it? and that's only one night a week what about the other 6 nights?

and Church Youth Clubs is limited to religious (Christians) what about the non-religious of us?

Though the rest (of which I cut out to keep it short) are more likely to work.

But I have to say, the 'youth club' at St Peters wasn't really all that good and I only ever went when I was early teens. The problem is, the older generation don't know what's 'in' so they run things like the Youth Club (as nice of them as it is), but they're considered 'dull' so kids would rather be hanging around on street corners with their mates.

And to be honest, is it wrong for them to be out on the streets? They have just as much right as anybody else to be out.
Though anti-social behaviour (as in shouting, throwing things, graffiti) ISN'T acceptable. I feel a lot of the older generation just see a group of youths (who happen to be minding their own business, coursing no trouble to anyone) and think "ah their yobs, their going to attack me when they see me", which I feel is prejudice and discriminative. Not every 'hoody' is out to mug you!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Rover
Drifter
10th May 2007 at 4:30PM
I have been a way for a while but now I am back on here and I am going to try and post regularly.

This problem that you have brought up Adora is in my opinion the most important issue our society faces today. Our society is becoming too apathetic and people especially children have too many rights and not enough responsibilities. Based on these two factors and in the age where the media dictates whats 'cool' I think it will be extremely hard to rebuild the community spirit that small towns and villages once had. Also I must mention the transport factor and how everyone now drives cars to supermarkets rather than walks to the local shops.

It's a very complicated matter but I think ultimately it comes down to improving parenting and improving the education system at every level. People need to learn about the benefits of long term investment in themselves, I'm talking about things like learning a musical instrument or joining a club and sticking with it.

I have so much to say on this matter that it is hard for me to put it all down here and without it becoming messy. I truly believe that peer pressure is the single biggest factor and once you are a member of a group who are badly behaved that becomes normal behaviour. By making kids join more groups and clubs and parents making that small effort to encourage kids to join and stay going, those children will be exposed to a variety of different peer pressures and they will see a whole lot more of the benefits available to them in the world and how short sighted their current situation of standing on the street corner vandalizing really is.

Getting over the 'cool' factor is a major issue but I really believe that it comes down to parenting. The parents need to make the effort from an early age to encourage their children to become more involved in their community, only then will we begin to see the tide turn.

I wonder what everyone else thinks?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JSmith
Villager

JSmith
12th May 2007 at 9:48AM
Adora makes a very good argument, clearly this yobs DO have somewhere to go they would just rather be out terrorising the locals.

I just don't understand with all those activities why they would rather be out on the streets vandalising, shouting and being very anti-social. There's just no need for it!

I do believe that national service would help tremendously, as the children will be forced into it and by the time they come out they will finally have respect for others and be far more disciplined.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

This post has been removed by a Forum Moderator because it broke the house rules.

GillB
Townsperson

GillB
19th May 2007 at 2:17PM, Edit: 19th May 2007 at 2:23PM by DrGill
Adora, I think your 'theory' has good intentions but I it seems that EVERY 'kid' needs police hovering over their shoulder.

The problem is, you seem to think EVERY kid and EVERY 'gang' has the potential to turn evil and reek havoc.

If you saw a group of respectable adults on a night out you wouldn't be scared because you know there just going from A to B. But if a group of drunken adult yobs were moving from A to B in a large group I'm sure you would know to avoid them. Just like the two groups of adults, you need to identify whether the group of youths are a threat or not, and I feel you cant so you just assume ALL groups of youths are.

The other day I saw 3 kids outside Sainsburys throwing a bottle of pop about, I would say they were your "Camp 3" kids, and I would say they weren't causing any problems, just bored kids with nothing better to do.

Are kids second class citizens? do the streets belong to the Adults? This is the feeling I get from your "theory", Would you suggest the police should 'wonder in to groups of adults'? talk to them? maybe even break the group up as not to be to threatening?
No, they shouldn't, just as with the kids, They should only 'wonder in' if they perceive a problem, or there currently IS a problem...

....or maybe we should all live in a 'Minority Report' society?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

Part of..