10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

The Red Lion

<< 1 2 >>

unclebunt
Villager

unclebunt
The Red Lion
29th July 2008 at 12:58PM
If the fools who knocked the old coaching house down had any brains it would have still today been a great venue, its a pity that one of the landmarks of Bullock Smithy turned into an american burger joint. How many folk must miss the balcony at the back overlooking the bowling green, where many people could sit and enjoy the sun and 'sport', and the mid day beer when all the other pubs used to call 'time' on a sunday. And all the pool tables upstairs and down. The music the bikes and the folk have all drifted away. We need another venue.......maybe the Rising Sun, the landlord Dave as we know is a top dood ready for any type of rock/blues/bikers. If we dont make a move towards creating a new 'Top Pub' it will all drift away into 'chavvy bars' with no soul only profit......The Sun is still the pub far enough from the wine bars to still contain its own 'culture' and should be cherished as a good boozer after the demise of the 'normal' pubs over the last five or so years......The new Red Lion! maybe...
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
belvoir
Drifter
Re: The Red Lion
29th July 2008 at 3:49PM
Yes.. It was there one day and gone the next! how did they get away with that?
The only other pub in the grove with any potential to make into that kind of place is the Royal Oak! I know what you are going to say!!!! But it could be made into a proper family/ eaterie bowling place. If only They (Robbies) would spend some of their money!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
old biker
Drifter
1st August 2008 at 10:39AM
Guest Wrote:

Yes.. It was there one day and gone the next! how did they get away with that?
The only other pub in the grove with any potential to make into that kind of place is the Royal Oak! I know what you are going to say!!!! But it could be made into a proper family/ eaterie bowling place. If only They (Robbies) would spend some of their money!!

I think unclebunt is right the r/sun would make a great place for all us bikers, big car park easy access from both sides buxton and macc and away from most of the idiots in the grove. Unfortunatly bikers have inherited a bad name which is a shame as not all bikers want trouble they just want the same as everyone else somewhere to sit with there mates have a pint and a good old chat. If dave can get this off the ground i can let all my mates know, sorry mate but i dont know who you are but this unclebunt seems to know you. good luck.
p.s we like good every day grub cheers.
janet
Villager

janet
2nd August 2008 at 10:20AM
Does anybody remember when the Red Lion changed to the Bees Knees?

That was the place to go then!!!
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
4th August 2008 at 3:14AM
Bees Knees opened 1977/78?
It was the place to be.
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
5th August 2008 at 5:12PM
having visited the red lion on a few occasions in the past in my younger years i can honestly say it was never a family/eatery type of place, it was more of a community type pub frequented by bikers of a type not seen in the grove anymore, almost all of them belonged to a club of some sort which generally led to the kind of conviviality normally seen in an old western saloon and occasionally ended up like the ok corall minus the gunfight, situations like this in those days were usually referred to as handbags at dawn, nowadays the dibble would be there in large numbers and it would be on the telly at lunchtime the following day. i don't think the sun is the same kind of place, but it is the most biker friendly pub i know but then i would say that wouldn't i me being a latent biker and all.
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
25th April 2013 at 9:17PM
Sorry to dig up an old topic but is this about the pub that used to be where McDonald’s is now?

Being relatively young I only have a very vague memory of it. Does anyone have any photos of it?

I tried doing a Google search ages ago but couldn't find anything.
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
25th April 2013 at 9:33PM
Ok a new Google search was more successful, I found two photos, neither how I remember it.

Stockport Council and Flickr.

The imagine in my head is looking from the opposite direction the Stockport Council one says it was demolished in 1992, surely this can't be right? If it is then no wonder I don't remember it very well.

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
25th April 2013 at 11:41PM
I recall being taken in there once as a nipper. I can't remember the building but it had a bowling green to the rear didn't it?

The crap bar opposite (The Lounge?) the site now was a model shop where I got loads of my Scalextric from.
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
26th April 2013 at 9:38PM, Edit: 26th April 2013 at 9:44PM by Allen1
The photo on Flickr with the Red Lion building in, was taken in 1990. I took the photo. Was uploaded to Flickr in 2006
grover
Townsperson

grover
30th April 2013 at 4:27AM
Allen 1 - I don't remember the buildings to the right of the 3 storey Red Lion. Used to go in there a lot as a friend lived there. I guess old age has got to me.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..