A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

The possible loss of Mirrlees fields

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
The possible loss of Mirrlees fields
29th August 2017 at 9:07PM
'm not sure how many people know that our little community website is up and running. But I'd like to ask anyone visiting the website if they could take a few minutes to support keeping Mirrlees Fields free from any future developments.

Some of you might agree that the site should be built on but if you feel the same way that I do that Hazel Grove needs to keep as much Green space as we possible can then please visit the friends of Mirrlees website and complete the questionnaire on-line there.
http://mirrleesfields.org.uk/Survey2017/Survey2017.html

Please can you encourage your friends to complete the questionnaire if they go on the Fields. This is not just about frequency of use, it is about how the fields are valued by the community, so please take a few minutes to complete the questionnaire. There's space for your comments on the questionnaire and these are particularly useful.

I did ask if our councillors were involved and was told that they were. I wonder what Oliver thinks about these proposals. I know Williams against it.

I know it's only at the consultation stage at the moment but I thought there would be more information about locally. Nothing that I know of. No notices, nothing in the local paper...nothing. it's a shame as the field is very much used for recreational purposes. The local scouts have planted trees to harvest the fruit to sell at local farm markets.

It says that the closing date is October but I think it's being brought forward to September. I think the survey have had about 300 questionnaires completed.

Please try to offer your support. Thank you.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
DuncanC
Newcomer

DuncanC
Re: The possible loss of Mirrlees fields
2nd October 2017 at 12:01PM
I'm sorry, but I think that Mirrlees Golf Course should have been developed for housing 30 years ago, and after being left derelict since that time should be developed for housing now.

There is a crisis in housing nationwide, and hundreds of thousands of new homes are urgently needed. It is only the selfish NIMBY attitudes of a few Woodsmoor dog-walkers that has prevented this land from being put to good use. These attitudes must be over-ridden in the interests of the greater good.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
2nd October 2017 at 9:23PM, Edit: 2nd October 2017 at 9:23PM by Serenity
My comments are not based on nimbyism. I have lived in Hazel Grove for several years and have seen the area suffer from bad planning and over development all of which has increased the pollution in the area to a now unacceptable level.

Add to this to many car parks and an extremely busy main road (which is set to get even busier), then this is the reason I that I wish for the green spaces that are left to remain Green and not to be developed upon.

These spaces are the lungs of the Grove and help to provide a small balance in creating a healthy environment for all who live in the Grove.

Whilst I can appreciate that there is a need for more affordable homes (of which the Grove has already provided 3 major housing developements so far) I don't believe building on the green spaces that are left is the way forward.

As for selfish ...I don't see wanting to breath some clean air as selfish.

DuncanC
Newcomer

DuncanC
2nd October 2017 at 10:25PM
Why is the A6 set to get busier? Hopefully the bypass to the M60 at Bredbury will get the go ahead which will eventually relieve the pressure on the A6 through Hazel Grove immeasurably.

The old golf course at Mirrlees is not green belt land. It is not a public amenity. There is no right of access to it. It is an overgrown wilderness on the site of an old factory.

If not used for housing it would make an excellent and much needed car park for Stepping Hill hospital.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd October 2017 at 6:41AM
Hi Julian nice to hear from you again. Could I ask for your views on the possible further housing development planned for Mirrlees Fields, I know how William feels (which is against it)but how do our local councillors feel. I believe that the friends of Mirrlees have asked for your support in protecting these fields but I'm not really sure what your views are on the matter.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd October 2017 at 8:48AM, Edit: 3rd October 2017 at 8:50AM by Serenity
DuncanC Wrote:

Why is the A6 set to get busier? Hopefully the bypass to the M60 at Bredbury will get the go ahead which will eventually relieve the pressure on the A6 through Hazel Grove immeasurably.

The old golf course at Mirrlees is not green belt land. It is not a public amenity. There is no right of access to it. It is an overgrown wilderness on the site of an old factory.

If not used for housing it would make an excellent and much needed car park for Stepping Hill hospital.

Do you realise how many car parks the Grove already have. I wouldn't like to try to calculate how much pollution is being pumped out from hundreds of cars using them each day. And yet you propose another one. Then there's the white elephant of a car park built at the wrong end of the Grove that was built nearly 2 years ago but still remains almost empty. Yet another example of bad planning. Poorly utilised under promoted utter waste of space.

And as for the bypass.. that's been in the pipeline since I first moved here and that was over 30 years ago. So I'm not counted on that idea to improve the pollution anytime soon.

I never said Mirrlees was greenbelt but it was always an open space used for recreational purposes and is now a much needed Green space to be protected for the benifits it gives to the surrounding community. I'm not against sympathetic development such as the new homes recently built on the factory site of Mirrlees. Just any further development.

I don't see it as overgrown wilderness but a sanctuary for wild life, and flora that's been here for hundreds of years that provides each day much needed oxygen to our overly devoloped overly polluted area.

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th October 2017 at 11:49PM
Hi Serenity - no I do not support house building on Mirlees Fields. We have had a significant development recently in that area and we simply do not have the infrastructure for further building nor the outrageous proposal at High Lane.

That's before we even get on to a discussion about wanting to leave some greenspace for our children to enjoy!

Part of..

Tagged With..