10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

The Fiveways

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
Re: The Fiveways
30th December 2013 at 9:43PM
This has been designed as a "destination" upmarket Holts pub. Like the Cheadle Hulme - with prices to match. The latest CAMRA survey found that they were charging £2.91 for a pint of bitter and £2.83 for mild. Far from the cheap and cheerful "Drabs" image we always used to associate with Holts pubs.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
cartman
Villager

cartman
31st December 2013 at 10:03AM
nothing wrong with that .. you can either shop in Aldi , or Waitrose .. you make your choice knowing one is more expensive than the other .. its a nice pub , that has the right outlook .. move on
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Doris
Townsperson

Doris
31st December 2013 at 12:12PM
cartman is spot on ! The Fiveways is a positive move in the right direction for the Grove.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
31st December 2013 at 6:21PM
Been in a few times now since the refirb and although very nice, it's not a pub, in my opinion there is too much emphasis on the food side of the business, (this is reflected in the price of drinks £3.40 for a standard size glass of wine £2.91 for bitter) and to be fair I guess this is where the money is now. Just my opinion again, but I fear the traditional English pub is long gone.---- Rant over.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
davyp
Villager

davyp
20th January 2014 at 10:40AM
Now a month on from my last visit and now had a chance to talk to others/neighbours about their experiences at the revamped Fiveways. There does, sadly, appear to be a trend developing: most people are delighted at the chnages made, but the service is very patchy, as is the quality. My last visit was a great diasappointment, with having to wait 63 minutes from order to the meal arriving - 2 medium rare steaks. If you are a 'carvery' person it is probably OK, but they don't seem to be able to provide a menu meal in an appropriate time. One of my good friends had to send his main course back twice, another group of four had three meals arriving within 20 minutes, the fourth took 45+ minutes longer...

Such a shame as so many of us have been waiting for too long for a decent English menu restaurant to walk to.

If Holts have any sense, they will sort this quickly. Personally I will give it one more go then back to the 3 Bears or even better, The John Millington in Cheadle Hulme.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
20th January 2014 at 8:53PM
i tried vernon arms in poynton the other day and food was out in 10-15 mins and was really well cooked, much better than last time i went in and the place has had a revamp too since i last went in and was very nice with fancy lighting lol!
the deserts were to die for!!!
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>