10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

The Fiveways

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
The Fiveways
26th November 2013 at 3:27PM
I had an unexpected privilaged tour of the newly refurbished Fiveways last week. Very impressive. Looking forward to the official opening on Friday.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
Re: The Fiveways
26th November 2013 at 6:05PM
Looks nice from the outside and I'm presuming it's even better inside the amount of time it's taken, however I would like to go in but I probably won't if it's true they now think they're too posh to show football matches and turning they're backs on the people that at least went in over the years they had smelly toilets,bad decor and stains on the ceilings!!!
Hope they will show sports as there's no reason why any pub can't do both?
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
29th November 2013 at 4:58PM, Edit: 2nd December 2013 at 2:19PM by JDSUP4IT
I spent three hours at the inaugural opening of the Fiveways last evening - an experience I thoroughly enjoyed. The transformation is superb. There's not a negative comment I can make - unlike quite a number of people on this forum - albeit they haven't even been in it yet.

To suggest that the Fiveways management "think they're too posh to show football matches" is utterly ludicrous and deserves no further comment. The brewery has spent a huge amount of money on this venture in an attempt to make it into a family pub, and I, for one, can see no reason why it won't be successful. The attention to detail has been paramount. The ambience is notable as soon as you walk in through the door. There is a choice of a carvery or a la carte menu, a fine selection of beers etc, along with fresh cakes and homemade ice cream to die for.
The 'snug' lounge is ideal for chilling out in with a drink, and is just the place to relax. The comfortable chesterfields make this easy.

Ok, you say the management have "turned their backs on the people who went in over the years." How come? Just because they're not showing football matches? You don't seem to get it. The pub has changed out of all recognition and gone up-market. Believe it or not the "smelly toilets, bad decor and ceiling stains," that you endured over the years, just to watch football, have actually gone. Forget your prejudice and call in sometime. You might even be impressed, although I suspect you won't admit it.
You say you hope they WILL show sports as there's no reason why any pub can't do both. I would suggest, nay, almost guarantee, there's no chance.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
29th November 2013 at 8:31PM
i understand what your saying and i agree it looks lovely from the outside and i'd like to go in but i only go local pub to watch football so why am i gonna go in there if theyre not showing football and me personally i rather go further afield then hazel grove for a meal like a nice countryside meal or go manchester and have a curry or chinese and make a night of it!
whatever you want to say i still think its pretty bad of a company to turn its back on the people who bothered to go in that smelly pub and put a few quid in the tills while it was a dump all them years while the people its trying to attract now maybe went once here and there if your lucky and didnt go back in again?
yes i understand they had to do the place up as it was a point where it was desperate and they'll probably make a lot more money now if they get more people in after the revamp but it doesnt make a pub less popular because they show sports, in fact i go in leigh arms in adlington time to time and thats alot posher than the fiveways ever will be and in a nicer location and they show sports and theyre far from a scummy pub!!
good luck to the fiveways i really mean it and they done a great job but its sad that they turn theyre backs on some locals that help keep them just about afloat for years when all the others who went in and never came back didnt!
shrek
Villager

shrek
1st December 2013 at 2:14AM, Edit: 1st December 2013 at 9:28AM by Coleman
been back in for the first time its been finished what a stunning pub ladys dressed to kill enjoying them self's couples and famalieys eating drinking the place was buzzing and full. all in weresaying its great to have a pub to go in and enjoy. food was amazing.
all i can say is this is goi g to be the place to go
and be seen in. if the above comment thinks the liegh arms is posh well stay there. By the way holts have only had the pub for 12 month's so u have only watched football here for less than 4 month's so they have not turned there back on u and u didnt make them any proffit
in conclusion it was your choice to watch football once a week in a s*** hole! i rest my case. footnote working on a new pub site and this oneis bigger
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
1st December 2013 at 12:58PM, Edit: 1st December 2013 at 1:07PM by glenandem
Sorry I didn't realise you was the boss of all the pubs, who do you think you are telling me to go somewhere else, I'll go where I want thanks all the same lol!!
I'm glad it's good, I always went there as I liked the pub even though it was a dive, I was one of the few that at least helped keep it open by going in to watch the football unlike others who stayed away because it was a dump.
And regarding holts buying it that's a fair point I didn't know they just bought the place as I never asked who run it I just went in bought a few jars here and there and watched football!
Seriously good luck to them but obviously it's no use to me if I only go in the grove to watch football!!!!!
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
2nd December 2013 at 8:18AM
glenandem Wrote:

Sorry I didn't realise you was the boss of all the pubs, who do you think you are telling me to go somewhere else, I'll go where I want thanks all the same lol!!
I'm glad it's good, I always went there as I liked the pub even though it was a dive, I was one of the few that at least helped keep it open by going in to watch the football unlike others who stayed away because it was a dump.
And regarding holts buying it that's a fair point I didn't know they just bought the place as I never asked who run it I just went in bought a few jars here and there and watched football!
Seriously good luck to them but obviously it's no use to me if I only go in the grove to watch football!!!!!
Go to the ground, its better than the pub!
slim
Townsperson

slim
2nd December 2013 at 9:36AM
Well bluegrover you will need to print a map and give detailed directions for utd fans to find old Trafford ?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
2nd December 2013 at 10:21AM
Yeah unlike city fans who only found they're ground a few years when they started playing decent football with a bag of money!!!!
Unfortunately I'm past those days of going ot, I've had my season ticket days in the 90's when ot was rocking unfortunately these days it's overpriced and the atmosphere is dead unless its a big game
I only go to take the kids occasionally these days, I'm happy with a few pints in a local with the mates
Chappers
Villager

Chappers
2nd December 2013 at 1:00PM, Edit: 2nd December 2013 at 1:01PM by Chappers
I was in there on Saturday evening after driving past had to pull in as I'd only just noticed that it had opened and looked lovely.

And it is. So much so that I popped back in on Sunday for a bit of food. Lovely decor, lovely food (a couple of quid more than it might be in many pubs but worth it) and good beer.

Good to see it so busy too and that someone was willing to invest in doing something good in Hazel Grove. More of thism please.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>