The decline of Stockport

<< 1 2 >>

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
Re: The decline of Stockport
10th April 2016 at 2:37AM
sparrow Wrote:

Why would anyone shop in stockport if they drive? The council car park charge £1.60 for 2 hrs or you have to park in a private owned car park (eg, peel center) who fine you £100 and send bullying threatening letters to your home for years after. No Thanks, I'll take my money somewhere else, its not far to the Trafford Center or other nearby towns who charge 20p per hour for parking. Its a shame for Stockport which could be so good.

What a load of crap.

If you use a service and cannot be bothered to pay for it you deserve everything you get. I've used that place hundreds of times. Guess what? I've never had a letter - why? I pay.

What boils my spuds is people that cannot differentiate between really basic words such as 'off' or 'of'...
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
10th April 2016 at 3:43PM
I believe Peel Holdings may have sold the Trafford Centre to Intu.

Re Blackcat's question to me, I cannot tell you why we have the highest council tax rates in Greater Manchester but my position has been quite clear on this given that I have campaigned consistently against increases in Council tax.

The administration that has run the Council for over a decade now will tell you that they need to have a higher Council Tax than others in Greater Manchester as they get a lower subsidy from the Government. However, the subsidy from the Government is lower because Stockport has a higher nominal Council tax base - i.e. it gets more out of it's residents proportionally via Council Tax collection than other areas. However, this does not actually explain why the Council tax itself needs to be higher, especially as the subsidies to local government have been reduced yet Council tax collection rates have stayed pretty constant.

However, it is important to note that Stockport along with many Councils in the UK has received a Council Tax Freeze Grant from the Government in almost every year between 2010-2015, allowing them to freeze Council Tax in almost every one of those years. In 2013, they did not do so.

So what conclusions can you draw from this? Firstly, if Council tax was frozen in 3 of the 4 financial years of the Coalition government and Stockport has had a higher Council tax than the rest of Greater Manchester in every year f that period, we can assume that the gap between the other Councils in GM and Stockport must have been established before the Coalition government came to power. Secondly, if that is true, that means that the argument that the high Council tax in Stockport is due to Central Government austerity, is simply not suubstantiated. Before austerity had been adopted by Westminster in 2010, Stockport Council had been increasing the financial burden on its residents.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
10th April 2016 at 7:11PM
Oliver sorry to go off the thread but I wonder if you can answer the question raised on the other thread ....what are voting for on the 5th of May.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
10th April 2016 at 7:54PM
Done
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
11th April 2016 at 9:18AM
I am more surprised that this thread led out with comments that suggested that Stockport has declined and is nothing compared to 20 years ago. Although born in Manchester, i have lived in Hazel grove for 43 years, during this time Stockport has always been a dump. It has had patchy generation work done over the years but Mersey Square has always looked like it was stuck in 1975.

These types of shopping centre are on the decline unless they offer something more, on-line shopping and out of town shopping centres have put paid to them. The Redrock development that Oliver touched up on will probably be the last throw of the dice for Mersey Square - lets hope it works
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..