10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

The decline of Stockport

<< 1 2 >>

BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
The decline of Stockport
8th April 2016 at 11:14AM
I took a walk through the centre off Stockport last week, such a sad decline compared to 20 years ago. Not many shoppers around, one third off the shops unoccupied. The land surrounding the shopping centre is a building site (unfortunately, there are no builders in sight). Its been this way for a long time now and looks like the work has been abandoned. The market or should I say flea market, a shadow of its former self.
How come we pay nearly the highest Council Tax in Greater Manchester and yet Stockport has had no real investment over the last few years. Unless you count the new car park next to the station or the widening of St Mary's way which will allow motorists to get through and bypass Stockport quicker as investment. I walked passed that new square with the water feature behind the town hall, you know the one which nobody uses, it was throwing it down and they had the water fountains working, you couldn't make it up. I wonder how much this folly cost to build.
Look at the investment that's happened in Tameside and Bury. Both have had massive investments in both transport, shopping and leisure facilities.
Even the Council Leisure Key scheme has charges compared to the active scheme in Tameside which is free.
All Stockport Councillors who have been on the council during this decline need to hang their heads in shame, its a disgrace.

1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: The decline of Stockport
8th April 2016 at 11:23AM
I agree with the sentiment but there is alot of capital invetsment ongoing in the Town Centre at the moment.

1. Town Centre Access Plan - £100m invetsment in road and transport network around town centre.
2. Redrock - cinema/leisure complex
3. Grand Central - hotel and office space
4. Review of the market place

There are also other things that are in the pipeline but at this stage I cannot comment on due to commercial confidentiality.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
8th April 2016 at 12:21PM
Thanks for the reply Oliver, so the building work around the town centre hasn't been abandoned then only there doesn't seemed to have been much progress made. How come we pay nearly the highest Council Tax in Greater Manchester compared to Bury and Tameside then? St Mary's Way bypasses the Town centre so how can this work be part off a town centre access plan.
I feel Investment is a little late now, I am not sure that this will help pick Stockport up.
How do the town council intend to draw back the private investment, and shoppers into a town that is completely on its backside.
A few years back, I believe Ikea applied to open one off their stores in Stockport and I believe the council refused it so instead they opened it up in Ashton, look at the retail and leisure investment that has been made around the Ikea store in Ashton now. I believe it was that, that influenced the decision to link Ashton up with the tram system. The Rock shopping centre in Bury, the investment there makes this £100 million you quoted look like loose change Oliver.
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
8th April 2016 at 12:24PM, Edit: 8th April 2016 at 12:25PM by BlackCat
This isn't to get at you Oliver, I believe the damage was done before you got elected. Lets see if any of the other councillor's comment on this that were on the council when the decline off Stockport was allowed.
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
8th April 2016 at 12:55PM
Why would anyone shop in stockport if they drive? The council car park charge £1.60 for 2 hrs or you have to park in a private owned car park (eg, peel center) who fine you £100 and send bullying threatening letters to your home for years after. No Thanks, I'll take my money somewhere else, its not far to the Trafford Center or other nearby towns who charge 20p per hour for parking. Its a shame for Stockport which could be so good.
3 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
8th April 2016 at 7:59PM
I was in Bolton a couple of weeks ago, on a Saturday. The town was quite busy. Why? Free parking, every Saturday in all town centre car parks.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Expert
Villager

Expert
8th April 2016 at 9:37PM
I once heard it said that the centre of Stockport largely functions as Brinnington District Centre and that people from the more affluent areas simply go elsewhere.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
9th April 2016 at 7:40AM
Wow some of the comments are what I've been thinking for a long time, there have been loads of calls for the car parks to made free parking for a long time but all the council have done is ignore the shoppers,shop owners etc and have gone on to put stupid barriers up that you have to get a token to get in, I nipped into Stockport out of desperation the other day actually and having not been in a long time as there's basically nothing decent down there and places like Trafford centre Cheshire oaks etc just offer more to me personally, anyway having not been for a while and knowing that those lower car parks have gone next to the motorway where they plan to build grand central no2 I was suprised parking spaces everywhere that just told me the council have done a bang on job in ridding shoppers!!
Regarding the market place thsts another crying shame, I used to work at a garage just up the rd and Fridays you used to see the hustle and bustle around the place now it's dead nothing there.
I've said it for a long time that the people running Stockport need a big change,too many people for too long have run things so wrong and let things like the 5million sk fiasco go on and nobody's head rolled apart from the staff in the council offices because the council had to make cut backs?
I see Cheshire east council and the way they run they're borough and it's miles better than Stockport yet stockports c tax is miles higher so somethings not being run right and when that happens in business you change the running of it😉
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
9th April 2016 at 11:13AM
Got to agree Glen, you just have to look around to see how free parking can pick up business. Trafford Centre Cheshire Oaks, Dentons Crownpoint, just to name a few. Very little being spent very little being given but big increases in council taxs. Can you tell me then Oliver, why Stockport council tax are vastly different from the rest in the region?
Expert
Villager

Expert
9th April 2016 at 6:46PM
I think you'll find that Local authorities aren't supposed to make a profit out of car parking but be careful, not all town centre car parks ar run by the Council. Funnily, isn't the Peel Centre car park still run by the same organisation that owns the Trafford Centre?
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..