10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

The Co-op Emporium

<< 1 2 >>

sam39
Villager

sam39
The Co-op Emporium
2nd May 2013 at 9:55AM
Before Asda we had the Co-op supermarket, but who remembers the Co-op Emporium which was knocked down and replaced by the supermarket? It was a remarkable place in which you good buy almost anything: ladies and gents outfits (non fashionable), underwear ( very staid), food (good value), tools (excellent), gardening stuff (usually good), decorating materials (good value), but, best of all, upstairs was an area which was a huge rummage sale. You could find almost anything by chance at a knock down price. I bought a new shooting stick for £1. The manager was a legend in the Co-op.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
Re: The Co-op Emporium
2nd May 2013 at 5:52PM
Yep I remember it and Annie Booths hardware shop where the carpark entrance is now. That was like the junk shop on Last o' the summer wine
sam39
Villager

sam39
2nd May 2013 at 6:47PM
Yep I remember the hardware shop - parafin on the pump!
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
2nd May 2013 at 8:17PM
Annie Booths and Herbert Williams across the road great shops
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
3rd May 2013 at 12:39AM
I remember it very well, you could buy everything there. You could buy white goods with dents at cheap prices, Net curtains, I always came away with a bargains, loved it. The co-op is nothing like this now. They are to expensive. The good old days eh.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
3rd May 2013 at 2:32AM
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to everyone who has posted on this thread so far; you keep me feeling young! LOL.   dance
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
20th June 2013 at 2:59PM
I used to work in the shopping giant
janet
Villager

janet
20th June 2013 at 6:48PM
I REMEMBER MAGUIRES SWEETSHOP,THINK IT WAS NEXT TO THE ANCHOR PUB ? IT WAS LIKE ALADDINS CAVE FOR ME AS A LITTLE GIRL
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
20th June 2013 at 9:05PM
janet Wrote:

I REMEMBER MAGUIRES SWEETSHOP,THINK IT WAS NEXT TO THE ANCHOR PUB ? IT WAS LIKE ALADDINS CAVE FOR ME AS A LITTLE GIRL

Maguires, yes indeed Janet, use to go in there and get a jubbly. It was an orange juice drink in kind of a pyramid shape carton, think you could get them frozen too.

exhg
Villager

exhg
20th June 2013 at 11:41PM
That picture brings to mind the Iron Cow down near Norbury Church, you could get milk in similar shaped containers, plain, strawberry or banana as I recall, anyone else?? It was outside ht first shop beyond the church I think, before you got to the Golden Fryer (Nobin).
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..