10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Stockport Rail Plan

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Stockport Rail Plan
28th January 2015 at 7:59AM
Hi all

I think the metro link element was referenced on here last week but tomorrow night the Council scrutiny committee which I sit on will be considering the Stockport Rail Plan proposals, put forward by TfGM and the Council.

It is important to note that this is very early stages and there is no solid timeline for delivery.

The proposals affecting Hazel Grove are:

1. Half hourly off peak train services between Hazel Grove and Buxton and Hazel Grove to Manchester.
2. Increased peak capacity beyond 4 carriages between HG and Manchester. Hopefully most you will remember William. and I campaigning for this not long ago.
3. New stations proposed for High Lane and Simpsons Corner.
4. Extension of the East Didsbury Line of the metro link to Hazel Grove. The has been identified as low priority by the Council and TfGM whereas the extension to Marple is being prioritised.

As I see it, these proposals do have merit but I will be making a strong case for the metro link to be re-prioritised, especially in light of A6MARR.

I would welcome any comments or questions!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Stockport Rail Plan
28th January 2015 at 8:55AM, Edit: 28th January 2015 at 8:58AM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Hi all

I think the metro link element was referenced on here last week but tomorrow night the Council scrutiny committee which I sit on will be considering the Stockport Rail Plan proposals, put forward by TfGM and the Council.

It is important to note that this is very early stages and there is no solid timeline for delivery.

The proposals affecting Hazel Grove are:

1. Half hourly off peak train services between Hazel Grove and Buxton and Hazel Grove to Manchester.
2. Increased peak capacity beyond 4 carriages between HG and Manchester. Hopefully most you will remember William. and I campaigning for this not long ago.
3. New stations proposed for High Lane and Simpsons Corner.
4. Extension of the East Didsbury Line of the metro link to Hazel Grove. The has been identified as low priority by the Council and TfGM whereas the extension to Marple is being prioritised.

As I see it, these proposals do have merit but I will be making a strong case for the metro link to be re-prioritised, especially in light of A6MARR.

I would welcome any comments or questions!

Sound fine Oliver just sounds to far off in view of the timescale of the new road. Why have they never considered opening a new station at Stepping Hill? Wouldn't that make sense?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
28th January 2015 at 1:25PM
I would imagine that a station at Stepping Hill hasn't been made a reality as Woodsmoor and Hazel Grove are close enough without another station. I think the need for a station in High Lane is more urgent.

Agreed the timelines seem vague and far off but hopefully I will be able to get some clarified answers tomorrow night.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th January 2015 at 1:55PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I would imagine that a station at Stepping Hill hasn't been made a reality as Woodsmoor and Hazel Grove are close enough without another station. I think the need for a station in High Lane is more urgent.

Agreed the timelines seem vague and far off but hopefully I will be able to get some clarified answers tomorrow night.

Oliver isn't there already a train station at High Lane - Middlewood train station just off High Lane. So why the urgency for another?

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
28th January 2015 at 1:58PM
Yes but I think the idea behind this to make it more accessible to High Lane, than Middlewood currently is.

cjbram1
Newcomer

cjbram1
29th January 2015 at 9:56AM
I think the priority being with the Marple extention is absolutely the right decision. That area of Stockport no longer has any rail link to Stockport and desperately needs one as getting to Stockport from Marple/Bredbury/Romiley/Woodley at busy times is a nightmare and this line would serve those areas. Hazel Grove already has a rail link to Stockport so should be nowhere near as much of a priority. I certainly wouldn't grumble at Hazel Grove getting the Metrolink, so long as Marple gets it's extension first.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
29th January 2015 at 3:50PM
Unfortunately, the Liberal Democrat Councillors on this Scrutiny Committee have decided to cancel the meeting tonight due to the weather conditions.

I did formally object to this as I feel the weather is not nearly severe enough to justify the meeting being cancelled.

I wouldn't get away with that in my 9-5 job!

Sorry if this is disappointing to any of you but the meeting has been rearranged for 06/02.
jjpot16
Villager

jjpot16
30th January 2015 at 10:09AM
I agree with cjbram1. Marple should be prioritised for the link. it would make a huge difference to reducing Hazel Grove traffic if this went ahead so Hazel Grove would benefit from this anyway

Part of..