A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Stockport highest council tax in GreaterManchester

BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
Stockport highest council tax in GreaterManchester
27th January 2015 at 7:32PM, Edit: 28th January 2015 at 2:23PM by BlackCat
Considering the fact that Stockport has the highest council tax in Greater Manchester due to many years of above inflation increases imposed by the Liberal Democrats, can any councillors who visit this forum (including the mayor)inform the people on this forum why Stockport and its surrounding areas has not had the investment of the other towns in Greater Manchester area.

Before you answer and to give you food for thought, look at Crown Point in Denton, the area around Ikea including the tram lines in Ashton-Under-Lyne, The Rock in Bury, the development around Openshaw including the major development around the Etihad stadium, etc etc.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Stockport highest council tax in GreaterManche
28th January 2015 at 7:43AM
I have been banging on about this for a number of years.

The Council spin out the old lines regarding their subsidy from central government. However, the investment in the Town Centre that is on its way is significantly attributed to central government money, as part of regional investment in the North West.

What happened during the early to mid 2000s I have no idea. Seems we are now trying to fix the roof while the rain pours.

In my opinion, we need serious focus on our district centres like Hazel Grove. Given that there does not seem to be the will from the Council Executive for that, I am working on a plan to try and at least lay the foundations for this change at a grassroots level.

1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
28th January 2015 at 12:47PM
Thank you for your comment Oliver. At least in your defence Oliver, this lack of investment was not on your watch.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th January 2015 at 2:01PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I have been banging on about this for a number of years.

I am working on a plan to try and at least lay the foundations for this change at a grassroots level.

And what might they be Oliver?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
28th January 2015 at 3:43PM
No Blackcat but I want to try and do something about it. What has happened has happened. I only have control over what I can do.

Serenity - I don't want to give anything away yet as I am still gatehring ideas and floating them to interested parties. I am looking at models of community-led regeneration and investment. I am also talking to contacts who are councillors in other local authorities to learn from their experiences.

It's somewhat long term so I would resist raising hopes falsely but I am working on it.....amongst everything else :)
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report