A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Stockport Council Tax 2016/17

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Stockport Council Tax 2016/17
7th March 2016 at 8:11AM
As some of you may be aware Council Tax in Stockport is set to rise by 3.75% in Stockport. This comprises of 2% social care precept (money raised specifically & only for funding social care pressures) and 1.75% increase set by the Council.

You may or may not be aware that the Conservatives on the Council proposed an amendment to the budget which would have limited the increase to 2% (the social care precept). I just wanted to give all of you the core facts as I have already seen some of lies and misinformation being posted online and will, inevitably be landing on your doormat soon.

We accepted that the social care precept should be implemented as we are all aware of the pressures being exerted on this area of public services. However, we proposed that the Council should avoid the 1.75% extra Council tax increase by using the £4m unspent contingency money from the 2015/16 financial year. This money does not impact revenue, capital or reserve budgets and does not require any cuts to funding or services of any kind.

Regrettably, this was voted down by Labour & the Liberal Democrats - you can view the Council meeting from last Thursday via the webcast but the standard of debate was pretty shocking (as I stood up and pointed out to my fellow Councillors).

Just to clarify, I am not asking you to agree with me but I wanted to ensure you all had the facts as they are, not some twisted, politically convenient fiction.

If anyone wants the official figures, I can provide them!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Stockport Council Tax 2016/17
7th March 2016 at 10:16AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

As some of you may be aware Council Tax in Stockport is set to rise by 3.75% in Stockport. This comprises of 2% social care precept (money raised specifically & only for funding social care pressures) and 1.75% increase set by the Council.

You may or may not be aware that the Conservatives on the Council proposed an amendment to the budget which would have limited the increase to 2% (the social care precept). I just wanted to give all of you the core facts as I have already seen some of lies and misinformation being posted online and will, inevitably be landing on your doormat soon.

We accepted that the social care precept should be implemented as we are all aware of the pressures being exerted on this area of public services. However, we proposed that the Council should avoid the 1.75% extra Council tax increase by using the £4m unspent contingency money from the 2015/16 financial year. This money does not impact revenue, capital or reserve budgets and does not require any cuts to funding or services of any kind.

Regrettably, this was voted down by Labour & the Liberal Democrats - you can view the Council meeting from last Thursday via the webcast but the standard of debate was pretty shocking (as I stood up and pointed out to my fellow Councillors).

Just to clarify, I am not asking you to agree with me but I wanted to ensure you all had the facts as they are, not some twisted, politically convenient fiction.

If anyone wants the official figures, I can provide them!

I would be interested to view the meeting Oliver. Howver I've looked on the webcast but I can't find a meeting broadcast for last Thursday. Can you post the link please.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
7th March 2016 at 10:36AM
http://www.stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/214911
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
8th March 2016 at 10:02PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

http://www.stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/214911

I watched for a while and was astonished at the poor level of debate. Several Cllrs should certainly be ashamed of themselves and perhaps ask what real value they are to their electorate.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th March 2016 at 8:47AM
If you are interested in what Julian and I said, you can scroll through and skip to where we are speaking.

Before anyone accuses me of bias, Cllr Hogg didn't speak in the meeting but was in attendance.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
9th March 2016 at 10:58AM
Based on the comments of some councillors, on this occasion not speaking would be perhaps less embarrassing
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
9th March 2016 at 11:04AM
I spoke twice during the meeting - once on Council Tax and again on the wider budget motion. In the first instance, I raised the standard of the debate as an issue.

It really was not a good example of proper, mature debate about a serious issue.

Part of..