10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

St Peters Church Farmers Market

2nd March 2013

christinemunro Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

20th February 2013 at 12:21PM 21 Comments 
St Peters Church Farmers Market
On Saturday 2nd March our Farmers Market will be in St Peters Church car park from 10am to 2pm. Tony Martin from the Church will be organising tea and refreshments from the hall cafe while customers can look around the market and make their purchases. We will have a good selection of artisan producers and craftspeople who will be showcasing their produce.
Future markets will be held on the 1st Saturday of each month.

<< 1 2 3 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: St Peters Church Farmers Market
3rd March 2013 at 11:00AM, Edit: 3rd March 2013 at 11:04AM by Serenity
Norma_Stitts Wrote:

Serenity Wrote:

OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Yetty get involved, mate. These are the kinds of things we can all help to expand. The butcher was bloody good though

I'm not so sure that using what is in theory a place of worship as a public market place, is a good thing. Even in today's business climate.

On the day of the market there was a wedding going on in the church.

I for one don't think it shows any consideration for the couple getting married or reverence for the church mass with farmers selling their wares in the background.

I for one would like to see a more appropriate venue.

"Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

"Get your pork and leek sausages here. Made from free range organic pork. £7.99 a kilo!"

That's the point I was trying to make Norma. But thanks for expressing it so eloquently though.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
3rd March 2013 at 12:26PM
I was there from 11am and didn't see a wedding??

Plus presumably the couple would have been informed that there was a farmers market on?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd March 2013 at 1:08PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I was there from 11am and didn't see a wedding??

Plus presumably the couple would have been informed that there was a farmers market on?

It was either a wedding or a christening. But whichever it was Oliver it's not really the point I was trying to make. I personally don't think that a church is an appropriate venue for a profit making market. But that’s just my opinion. Surely in the area there are more suitable venues. Why St Peter’s church.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
3rd March 2013 at 1:50PM
You are entitled to your view, which naturally I respect but why do you think that a church (car park & parish centre it should be added) is an inappropriate venue, may I ask?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd March 2013 at 2:17PM, Edit: 3rd March 2013 at 2:27PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

You are entitled to your view, which naturally I respect but why do you think that a church (car park & parish centre it should be added) is an inappropriate venue, may I ask?

Because Oliver most of the functions that go one at St Peter's church such as coffee mornings, choir practise and the scouts/brownies clubs, are in my opinion classed as social events.

And as far as I'm aware the sole purpose of a farmers market is to make a profit (which the farmers then keep). So with this in mind I do not see a church centre as an appropriate venue for selling their wares purely for gain.

And also (only in my opinion) I think that it is wrong to transform any church into a marketplace and forget the whole reason why you're really there.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
3rd March 2013 at 2:40PM
Point taken but arguably churches have always had markets or fairs of one kind of another. Look at the old monastic system - huge merchant centres for farming and trading.

How you feel about the parameters and morals of faith is, of course, your choice but I think it is a good thing that St Peter's has decided to open itself up to the community in a more innovative way than perhaps it otherwise would.
3rd March 2013 at 2:54PM
Hello everyone. I organised the market. I was asked to do so by the Church.
The church are very supportive of the event. They want to be part of the community and provide a service, apart from making some money whilst doing that.
We donate money to the Church for the use of the car park. We promote the market and hopefully bring lots of customers in to buy from it. But this also brings local people in to enjoy a cup of tea and something to eat in the cafe which also brings them some more income.
We were told there was no service at the Church on Saturday apart from the mid day mass. The churchgoers attended the market after the service and also enjoyed the welcome cup of tea.
I am sorry if you feel it is inappropriate
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd March 2013 at 3:44PM, Edit: 3rd March 2013 at 3:45PM by Serenity
christinemunro Wrote:

The church are very supportive of the event. They want to be part of the community and provide a service, apart from making some money whilst doing that.
We donate money to the Church for the use of the car park. We promote the market and hopefully bring lots of customers in to buy from it. But this also brings local people in to enjoy a cup of tea and something to eat in the cafe which also brings them some more income.
We were told there was no service at the Church on Saturday apart from the mid day mass. The churchgoers attended the market after the service and also enjoyed the welcome cup of tea.

Stockport Market provides the same service. So what's the difference. Apart from the venue.

I'm not sure why the church should want market stalls within their grounds especially stalls that are there purely to make a profit. I'm sure that there must be better ways of interacting with the community.

However no matter what guise you wrap it in it is still turning the church into a market place.
JackBlack
Unverified

JackBlack
3rd March 2013 at 3:50PM
Serenity Wrote:

christinemunro Wrote:

Stockport Market provides the same service. So what's the difference. Apart from the venue.

I'm not sure why the church should want market stalls within their grounds especially stalls that are there purely to make a profit. I'm sure that there must be better ways of interacting with the community.

However no matter what guise you wrap it in it is still turning the church into a market place.

Hi Serenity - Is not the church the greatest business ever created? The whole reason for the catholic church was to control and influence people to take their money and have power over them?
3rd March 2013 at 6:03PM
The Hazel Grove Farmers Market hopes to become a successful community event. Thank you to everyone who supported it and also to those who gave us their very complimentary comments on the day.
We hope to be back with you on the first Saturday in April. We and our producers and farmers, are looking forward to seeing you all again.
<< 1 2 3 >>