10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

St Marys Way

<< 1 2 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: St Marys Way
30th March 2016 at 5:15AM, Edit: 30th March 2016 at 7:50AM by Serenity
Well Jenny what can I say apart from there's always seems to be a tone to your replies that makes me feel like I've just had my knuckles well and truly rapped by my teacher. You somehow have a knack of making me feel rather thick for not being able to see the bigger picture. Sorry I asked now and that I was so stupid to have not been able to see for myself how all these investments will improve access to Stockport.

However just because I don't always see things the way you do Jenny doesn't exactly mean I'm trying to be negative. More often than not I'm just looking for clarity on the subject and how these plans will pan out in the future.

And I don't feel that to ask a question about how a development will work is at all negative. Questioning nothing just because it appears to work on paper is more negative in my eyes.

As for some of my so called past negative views, well if you mean my negative views on the.... new petrol station development opening onto an already congested main road, and a local supermarket being built with an entrance leading onto an already congested main road, aand a lack of adequate local parking, forcing residents to have to pay to park, whilst new car parks open and run on near empty, and passing plans to build local housing developements without considering improving the already failing infustructure, and oh yes your "pedestrian and cycle improvements (many of which have already been implemented)". Well if narrowing Newbridge Lane (which is extremely busy road again at peak time)to widen the pavement size to incorporate a bicycle lane, that no one will probably use .... then yes my views are always going to be the same (and in your eyes) negative.

But like I said Jenny it all depends on your perspective and whilst all of the above have a positive benifits (say the bike lane for the cyclists,but not for the motorists) their consequences *can*have a very negative affect for others 9So whilst you probably see yourself as someone who is positive, forgive for thinking that your comments seem to be be somewhat blinkered.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
30th March 2016 at 9:05AM
I've spent a lot of time looking at the Town Centre Access Plan as part of my work on the Environment & Economy Committee.

It's a considerable package as has already said - close to £100 million in funding from the government. I don't think the measures should be considered in isolation (there are numerous projects planned as part of this) and they are very much to work in conjunction with the other aspects of regeneration in the Town Centre.

The plan has been through consultation - happy to provide any further background information if anyone requires it but there is quite a lot available through the Council's website and meeting reports archive.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
30th March 2016 at 1:49PM
OK thanks Oliver.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
30th March 2016 at 2:30PM
Serenity Wrote:

Well if narrowing Newbridge Lane (which is extremely busy road again at peak time)to widen the pavement size to incorporate a bicycle lane, that no one will probably use .... then yes my views are always going to be the same (and in your eyes) negative.

I'm glad that you bought up New Bridge Lane, as this is often misunderstood.

Prior to the work, there was a single lane of traffic in each direction along there. It's just that the road was particularly wide - a lot of wasted space. This is a Google Street View of the location prior to the cycle work taking place.

Following the work, there is still a single lane of traffic in each direction, however the road is no longer stupidly wide and the pavements have been widened to introduce a shared cycle/pedestrian route along them. The net impact to traffic is 0, while the benefit to non motorized traffic is immense.

It's easy to hear the phrase "narrow the road" and jump around in anger without understanding the context. It's perfectly possible to narrow a road without losing any traffic capacity.

On the subject of cycling infrastructure that isn't used. These things take time. People aren't going to cycle en masse before improvements are made, there is a perception that unimproved roads are dangerous (I both agree and disagree with this perception, however it depends on specific locations). The infrastructure needs to come first, then people will start using it.

Build it and they will come, as they say.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
30th March 2016 at 7:32PM
I disagree Jenny. I'll happily climb on the village bicycle but there is no way you'd catch me cycling anywhere.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
30th March 2016 at 10:51PM
Don't know if it's me but I've noticed over the years any so called improvements in general haven't helped and have just made things worse around Stockport,I think back to years gone by and how many widened footpaths,central reservations extra traffic lights, it just makes traffic in general slow down!!
How many times do I see people crossing in between traffic lights on the a6 in the grove its ironic!, near me I never got traffic heading into the grove in the morning rush hour untill go near rising sun now it can be as far up as high lane most mornings, official figures say the roads aren't getting busier with traffic but for me I just see traffic stop starting all the time?
I'd love to go back to rd's that had main sets of traffic lights no central reservations etc but in this Cotton wrapped world people need these things to cross a rd nowadays😂
Expert
Villager

Expert
2nd April 2016 at 12:53PM
Talking of Trams; there was once a proposal to link Stockport into the GM tram network via link between Parrs Wood and Mersey Square, along the Mersey Valley. This seems to have been quietly forgotten in the interests of providing yet another transport link between the airport and Manchester city centre!

Is this an example of the powers in greater Manchester ignoring the existence of Stockport in the greater scheme of things or is there another reason for not building it?
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
2nd April 2016 at 2:57PM
I don't think trams to Stockport are completely dead. The bus station redevelopment is going to be 'tram ready' but it might be a while before the tram gets here.
Another option is apparently tram/train, which will run on both on street rails and the heavy rail lines.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..