Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

St Marys Way

<< 1 2 >>

This post has been deleted by the author.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: St Marys Way
26th March 2016 at 6:21PM
Does anyone know what they are doing with this stretch of road.

They seem to be widening the road but why when the Portwood roundabout can't cope as it is and Newbridge Lane as been narrowed. What's the point.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
stukaville
Villager

stukaville
27th March 2016 at 2:35AM
I suspect they are going to stick a tram line down St Mary's way. It looks like they are constructing sites for two stations to me. Could be wrong, but i cant think of anything else that would require that much work.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
27th March 2016 at 5:08AM, Edit: 27th March 2016 at 5:25AM by Serenity
Seems that the £73 Million Investment is to bring better access to Stockport by:
Improving traffic flow by widening Hempshaw Lane to extend the two lane queuing towards the traffic signal controlled junction at St Mary’s Way, improving visibility for drivers on Christie Street at its junction with Hempshaw Lane.

I might add that the 73 million isn’t all being spent on St Marys Way but nonetheless it seems like a lot of work and expense for what is in effect no more than just adding a couple more lanes that will increase traffic onto an already harendous roundabout😯. But who knows the thought process behind such decisions😕

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/newsroom/towncentreaccessplan

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
29th March 2016 at 9:43AM
St Marys way is being turned into a dual carriageway between Spring Gardens and Portwood Roundabout, an improvement that is massively needed - traffic can be terrible heading up the hill (and down the hill to the first set of traffic lights, now that I think about it). This phase involves building a new footbridge and widening the bridge over the river, so may take some time to complete.

Hempshaw Lane between St Mary's Way and Higher Hillgate is also being dualled as part of this.

St Mary's Way between Hempshaw Lane and Spring Gardens is remaining as a single carriageway, however I understand the long term plan is to do this too.

There is currently NO plan to run trams along there, and it's unlikely there will ever be a plan to do this, it's not even on a realistic Metrolink route.

Serenity Wrote:

no more than just adding a couple more lanes that will increase traffic onto an already harendous roundabout😯. But who knows the thought process behind such decisions😕

I presume that you're talking about Portwood Roundabout? Have you ever used it? It's not exactly busy, I've never had to queue for more than a single phase of the traffic lights to get onto the roundabout, and once on it's usually a clear run round to the exit, even at peak times.

Horrendous is certainly not the word I'd use to describe Portwood, it's a well oiled machine. However people do get scared by the number of lanes and number of exits - though I'd argue those people shouldn't be driving on the road at all.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
29th March 2016 at 1:38PM
Definitely not a tram line sadly.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
29th March 2016 at 3:26PM
stukaville Wrote:

I suspect they are going to stick a tram line down St Mary's way. It looks like they are constructing sites for two stations to me. Could be wrong, but i cant think of anything else that would require that much work.

LOL ... A bit steep for a tram perhaps??? I'm sure the Mersey river valley is why there arent any trams coming our way too soon.

This post has been deleted by the author.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
29th March 2016 at 5:04PM
Jenny Wrote:

St Marys way is being turned into a dual carriageway between Spring Gardens and Portwood Roundabout, an improvement that is massively needed - traffic can be terrible heading up the hill (and down the hill to the first set of traffic lights, now that I think about it). This phase involves building a new footbridge and widening the bridge over the river, so may take some time to complete.

Hempshaw Lane between St Mary's Way and Higher Hillgate is also being dualled as part of this.

St Mary's Way between Hempshaw Lane and Spring Gardens is remaining as a single carriageway, however I understand the long term plan is to do this too.

There is currently NO plan to run trams along there, and it's unlikely there will ever be a plan to do this, it's not even on a realistic Metrolink route.

Serenity Wrote:

no more than just adding a couple more lanes that will increase traffic onto an already harendous roundabout😯. But who knows the thought process behind such decisions😕

I presume that you're talking about Portwood Roundabout? Have you ever used it? It's not exactly busy, I've never had to queue for more than a single phase of the traffic lights to get onto the roundabout, and once on it's usually a clear run round to the exit, even at peak times.

Horrendous is certainly not the word I'd use to describe Portwood, it's a well oiled machine. However people do get scared by the number of lanes and number of exits - though I'd argue those people shouldn't be driving on the road at all.

I'm just not sure Jenny how widening St Marys Way will help the traffic trying to get onto Hall Street,if Hall street just remains the same. And whilst widening the road might improve the traffic flow along St Marys way I'm not so sure how the extra traffic it will impact positivity on the traffic waiting(at peak times) to get onto the badly thought out Portwood roundabout.

I personally just see it as a relatively short stretch of road being widened (at great expense)whilst the roads it leads onto can't cope(at peak times) as it.

But Im not a planner and I'd like to think that a 73 million pound investment will bring huge improvements to the town of Stockport. We'll just have to wait and see Jenny.I hope that you are right.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
29th March 2016 at 10:57PM
Serenity Wrote:

I'm just not sure Jenny how widening St Marys Way will help the traffic trying to get onto Hall Street,if Hall street just remains the same.

Are you suggesting that we should never make improvements because other places haven't yet had improvements? This isn't just about Hall Street (even though my most common route through the area is from St Mary's Way onto Hall Street), a not insignificant amount of traffic continues straight ahead, and a surprising number turns right. If they don't have to join the queue to get on Hall Street, then it's an improvement for them.

Serenity Wrote:

And whilst widening the road might improve the traffic flow along St Marys way I'm not so sure how the extra traffic it will impact positivity on the traffic waiting(at peak times) to get onto the badly thought out Portwood roundabout.

I personally just see it as a relatively short stretch of road being widened (at great expense)whilst the roads it leads onto can't cope(at peak times) as it.

You seem to think that Portwood Roundabout can't cope? I assure you that it can, and it works perfectly and is one of the best examples of a signalised roundabout out there. It's well marked, well signed, it has adequate peak throughput and except for the rare occasion when all hell has broken loose (motorway closure etc) then there are no significant delays at any time of day. The only issue is lack of a direct connection onto the anticlockwise M60, however the geography prohibits this and it's not the biggest problem in the world with the next junction such a short distance away.

Serenity Wrote:

But Im not a planner and I'd like to think that a 73 million pound investment will bring huge improvements to the town of Stockport. We'll just have to wait and see Jenny.I hope that you are right.

It's all about access for all, the package includes other road improvements (A new link road from Travis Brow to Wellington Road North, for example), as well as pedestrian and cycle improvements (many of which have already been implemented).

From a movement of people perspective, this 73 million pound investment *will* bring huge improvements. Forgive me for taking your comments with a pinch of salt Serenity, but you always seem to have a negative view on anything that could possibly be of benefit to other people.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..