Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

13th August 2014 at 12:38PM 26 Comments 

<< 1 2 3 >>

rm103167
Villager

rm103167
Re: SEMMMS Planning Permission Confirmed
10th January 2015 at 8:55AM
Why was the Sainsburys back exit road never built? Presumably because the plan was to link it to the Bredbury link road (which of course never happened). It was understood in the community at the time that Sainsburys would pay for this road (I don't know that for a fact but it sounds sensible in return for SMBC agreeing planning at the time).

If this is the case, a work-around which would help ease congestion in HG would be to get Sainsburys to pay for a back exit link road to Marple Road (or even just Bean Leach would make a difference!)

Are you able to advise on the facts of the Sainsburys deal Oliver?

Thanks
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
11th January 2015 at 11:12AM
Quite a bit before I entered politics but if you give me a few days, I can get back to you. I will post back on here!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
18th January 2015 at 10:00PM
I would be interested to hear the answer to this but below are my recollections of events at the time.

To get planning permission for a superstore on an already heavily congested section of the A6, Sainsburys had to agree that there would be no entrance from the A6 and a dedicated route would be part of the construction. The store would actually have faced the other way. Weeks before opening, Hazel Grove was thrown into chaos as all of a sudden roadworks popped up overnight in various places along the A6 and closing the Commercial Road junction. My ten minute daily commute to Heavily suddenly became an hour and twenty minutes. A whole new junction seemed to appear and as the boards hiding the Sainsburys development came down it revealed a store facing the A6 with its only entry also off the A6. This coincided with a substantial "environmental financial gift" from Sainsburys to Stockport Council - read in to this what you will, i know what I think as i see the village i have lived in for 42 years drown in traffic, sickened
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
18th January 2015 at 10:26PM
That's a very interesting comment, I've always heard that the front of sainsburys was built the wrong way round but when you think about it your version adds up as I too heard they was supposed to put a rd in heading back over those fields!
The gift payment to the council doesn't suprise me, just anouther crooked rumour you hear about this shoddy council like the solutions sk fiasco!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
18th January 2015 at 10:33PM
Friends of ours lived on Roseberry Drive (i think that's what its called)that runs down the side of Sainsburys, they were being offered a percentage above market value for their property as the road into Sainsburys was to have been built through there. However , if I remember correctly, these offers never went anywhere as i don't think there was ever any intention of seeing through such a development, it was just a cover to get round the initial failed planning permissions, the later "gift" being the final sweetener.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
19th January 2015 at 8:17AM
You do have to wonder why our local representatives who we pay to work on our behalf and address our concerns have never chased this up as it really is one of the main bottle necks in hazel grove for traffic!
<< 1 2 3 >>