13th August 2014 at 12:38PM 26 Comments 

<< 1 2 3 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: SEMMMS Planning Permission Confirmed
12th December 2014 at 6:01PM, Edit: 12th December 2014 at 6:03PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Serenity, I hear what you are saying completely.

Just a word on the bypass - I am not promising it because I can't promise it. It is not within my power to grant these things. All I can do is campaign and fight for the full bypass.

Regarding other solutions, I have heard some ideas coming forward - some more realistic than others and where I can I will look at them.

The one thing that I would ask you to understand that when some may interpret me for being too negative about possible solutions, it is only my intention to manage your expectations for your benefit aswell as mine.

I personally do not believe anything is gained by me promising you the world for votes - I will always try to be honest about what I and cannot reasonably achieve in my role as a local councillor.

Regarding ASDA - I will take what you say on board.

I voted against a proposal to extend MacDonalds opening hours this week for much the same reasons.

I appreciate what you are saying Oliver and that you are a man of your word. I do believe that. But I feel that there must be some other possible short term solutions that the council could and should be looking into without you losing sight and campaigning for a complete bypass in the future. The question is are they really looking into possible short term solutions (because I never heard of any) or are they simply ignoring the potential issues until the money comes in for a bypass in the year ...... In the meantime we all suffer in silence. All but the big companies I might add.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
12th December 2014 at 6:10PM
I can tell you that as far as I am aware the Council (in terms of the Executive and the Council bureaucracy) are not looking at any other solutions to my knowledge.

I do have thoughts on non-bypass solutions to the problem but these are long term projects that I need to investigate more thoroughly. I am not sure I can really see a quick fix to the problem.

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
12th December 2014 at 6:57PM
Your right Oliver if there's not really any quick fix now with the traffic we currently get on the a6 then if this airport relief rd brings more traffic were screwed!!
Who knows though we are all speculating and for all we know it could help but I think most who have looked into it and the figures given by the council it doesn't look good for traffic flow!
Just shows though how much power the airport has to get this section pushed through to help their planned airport city when we've needed the road for years and years, unfortunately it probably won't help us one bit and will make things worse!!!!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
13th December 2014 at 8:38AM, Edit: 13th December 2014 at 8:40AM by Serenity
Surely no councillor (apart from Kevin) could have really seen any benefit that building this road would have brought to the Grove. I'm not sure was it actually voted in by our councillors at the time?

I personally was never in favour of it and voted against it as I didn't think it would benefit anyone and wasn't worth the money and loss of green space just to make life a bit easier(for some) to get to the airport. Such a shame it went thru.

But if we can't chance that perhaps we can change making more bad decisions at local level (such as Sainsburys) - by not letting these stores dictate their own terms and conditions. Such as wanting longer opening hours - All of which is sure to bring more traffic - more pollution - more litter - more antisocial behaiviour. These stores have got what they want they have busy stores all day ever day so why the night time as well.

I don't envy your task being a councillor Oliver trying to please everyone all the time. But if we can't get a bypass till the year dot lets not look for ways to increase the traffic flow now by letting the stores stay open for longer.

These stores are one of the reasons why the Grove is so congested because of the need for more traffic lights to guide their customers in and out of their shops. Shop local - that's a laugh - most of shoppers using these stores aren't local there coming from the surrounding areas - clogging up the A6 to get here.

I know we can't make them disappear (as much as I would like). But this is where our councillors can and should be trying to make a difference at local level and all voting to say no to longer opening hours. .

I'm so glad to read that you (at least) voted against McDonalds staying open Oliver because it shows to me that you and others like you can clearly see the pitfalls to these stores staying open for longer. And that whilst it might be good for their business its not always good for the local residents. You might not win the fight Oliver but thanks for trying anyway.
slim
Townsperson

slim
13th December 2014 at 12:50PM
The relief road was never about helping hazel grove it's to enable the airport to expand
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
13th December 2014 at 1:23PM
slim Wrote:

The relief road was never about helping hazel grove it's to enable the airport to expand

That's right slim. But to be fair initially it was sold to the residents as a bypass and then later on is was sold as part of a bypass. So you can't blame those who voted for it because of the mixed messages. But anyway its going ahead now so best make the best of a bad job and look for ways to make the Grove better on the back of it. Can't think how but we'll have to wait and see what the council come up :/ They've improved other areas - so why not the Grove.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
14th December 2014 at 6:31AM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I can tell you that as far as I am aware the Council (in terms of the Executive and the Council bureaucracy) are not looking at any other solutions to my knowledge.

I do have thoughts on non-bypass solutions to the problem but these are long term projects that I need to investigate more thoroughly. I am not sure I can really see a quick fix to the problem.

I feel a bit disappointed to read Oliver that the council seemed to have now abandoned the Grove and are not looking into any other ways to help reduce the problem of traffic (and the issues that result from it) in the Grove. But thank you for your honesty.

I know that there’s no quick fix solution. But even if a bypass was eventually agreed it would take years and years in the planning and building to ever have any real impact on the Grove. What are we meant to do until then Oliver with even more traffic set to hit the Grove?

I’m glad though that you’re trying to think outside the box Oliver and are looking into long term projects that might help. But I do feel that the council should be supporting you and at least come up with few more ideas other than just the one which talked about narrowing the pavement.

Why are the council being so terribly blinked and waiting until the Grove is completely gridlocked (both day and night) before they even acknowledge that there is a major problem. It’s really sad to think that it’s their bad planning decisions that have led the Grove to be in the state it’s in now and now. And that all they seem to want to do is to look the other way and ignore the problems that were left to live with.

Why is it that when I drive down the A6 I see plenty of new development work taking place in other areas that don’t even have major supermarkets/hospitals and businesses impacting on them everyday? All the Grove ever seems to get is promises - patch up jobs and placed at the bottom of the never-ending to do list.

I know that you’re really behind trying to improve the Grove Oliver and I wish you luck in your plight. I know that we desperately do need a bypass. But the traffic problems are set to get even worse in a very short time. So I ask you (and any councillor) how are we expected to cope until the bypass comes through in the year dot......
Goggins
16th December 2014 at 5:57PM
the plan to build this road was announced by George Osborne in his 2011 Autumn Statement:
" In the North West. We will electrify the transpennine express between Manchester and Leeds, build the Manchester Airport and Crewe link roads and work with Merseyside to turn the vision of the Atlantic Gateway into reality."
It is described in the accompanying National Infrastructure plan as:
"improving access to Manchester Airport by building a new dual carriageway roadlinking the M56 at Manchester Airport to the A6 south of Stockport"

Although it follows part of the long hoped-for Stockport bypass it is not that. Councillors of various hues may try and profit from the announcement by claiming that it's a result of their long campaign but, in reality, it's an attempt to boost GDP with a chunk of public spending whilst encouraging businesses to move into the planned Airport City. It's a bit naive to imagine that any of the 3 councils or their constituents had any say in whether it happened or not beyond the selection of a few junctions from pairs of options which, in most cases, comprised of a sensible option and a plainly silly option.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
16th December 2014 at 9:07PM
A sensible option and silly option but they still went for the cheapest option from what I've been told and will cause backlogs around these new joinings onto the airport relief rd!
slim
Townsperson

slim
16th December 2014 at 10:49PM
I think Goggins has it nailed really local goverment and opinion where never going to stop a project that was for the benifit of MIA ?
Who cares that a fee thousand people have there lives disrupted when it's for the greater good. ?
Of the bussinesses supporting the political party's ?
<< 1 2 3 >>