Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

13th August 2014 at 12:38PM 26 Comments 

<< 1 2 3 >>

vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
Re: SEMMMS Planning Permission Confirmed
13th August 2014 at 2:55PM
To be expected really. I look forward to hearing of all these local politicians who are in favour of this scheme resigning when this turns into the unmitigated disaster that it will be for Hazel Grove and High Lane.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
13th August 2014 at 7:11PM
Hope people are looking forward to more traffic coming to the area and extra queues!!
If it's definately going to be built then cllr's and anyone else need to start campaigning heavily for the bredbury section as that's what will make the difference.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
spectrum
Villager

spectrum
A6MARR – no traffic relief for Hazel Grove
11th December 2014 at 12:00PM, Edit: 11th December 2014 at 12:58PM by spectrum
I noticed that in William Wraggs latest "My Plan" survey that there was finally an acknowledgement from a local councillor that the Airport link road will increase traffic congestion in Hazel Grove.

“The Lib Dems have prioritised a road to the Airport which increases congestion in Hazel Grove."

How many Hazel Grove residents would have supported it knowing that an increase in traffic congestion would be the final outcome?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
Re: A6MARR – no traffic relief for Hazel Grove
11th December 2014 at 2:33PM
its plainly obvious to see from the plans that it will bring traffic into hazel grove, maybe not the town centre as much but the a6 around simpsons bend which will backlog up high lane and back into the grove.
i think most people thought and still think its a bypass thats heading to bredbury untill theyre told its a relief rd for the airport and just dumps more traffic in this area while also attracting more traffic to the area from other local towns and over the hills so they can get onto the airport relief rd!!
as now being the mayor of stockport and having said he really supported and pushed for this rd he should be trying his hardest to get a campaign going to complete the other section to bredbury m60 which really will make a massive real difference but if he or any other cllr is honest they will admit theres little chance of that section going ahead as the costs are like 3 times this section and more as it goes underground near bredbury then you could really call it a hazel grove bypass and not a airport relief rd?
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
11th December 2014 at 2:33PM
I'm glad William has stated this. Since this is a road to nowhere it has always been clear that it would cause congestion to the Grove unless the link through to the M60 was also completed. You can expect the LD party via Smart and Hogg will say that this is what they want to do which is why we should vote for them. Corris probably says the same thing, but then who would know as he never communicates his views.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
11th December 2014 at 2:40PM
You've all pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

The decision to build the SEMMS road was taken before I was involved in politics properly and I would like to think I would approach this differently had I been given the opportunity.

However, it is happening whether we like it or not now. My focus as I know William's is too is doing everything we can to get the investment for the A6 to M60 section. Without this there is at best no benefit but in actual fact a severe detriment to Hazel Grove in having the SEMMS road built.

I was pleased to here that the Council are still protecting the proposed route for the A6 to M60 section but we have a significant challenge to secure the vital investment required.
spectrum
Villager

spectrum
11th December 2014 at 4:17PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

You've all pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

The decision to build the SEMMS road was taken before I was involved in politics properly and I would like to think I would approach this differently had I been given the opportunity.

However, it is happening whether we like it or not now. My focus as I know William's is too is doing everything we can to get the investment for the A6 to M60 section. Without this there is at best no benefit but in actual fact a severe detriment to Hazel Grove in having the SEMMS road built.

I was pleased to here that the Council are still protecting the proposed route for the A6 to M60 section but we have a significant challenge to secure the vital investment required.
The first phase of the consultation clearly showed a reduction in traffic in Hazel Grove which I believe is why most residents supported it.

What has changed and why are you now predicting "a severe detriment to Hazel Grove”.

Either something has changed or the traffic modelling figures were initially incorrect which wouldn't surprise me as the continually changed during the consultation process.

The road is going to have a “severe detrimental effect” on the lives of residents who live along the route, most believing there would be a benefit to Hazel Grove overall with the reduction in traffic.

I am aware that you were not directly involved, but William was, the road should never have been signed off if it was known that it would have a negative impact in Hazel grove.

I was told that the Airport road was easier to get funding for as three councils were supporting it and there was a major business case due to the expansion of the Airport and the Enterprise zone.

As Stockport would be the only council supporting the extension to Bredbury and I can’t think why there would be a business case, we could be waiting another thirty years for that.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
11th December 2014 at 5:27PM
The set of modelling I saw didn't appear to show much of a reduction if any. High Lane in particular will suffer to a greater extent but I did see some relatively significant increases in Hazel Grove.

This has been going on so long, I can barely remember the early stages of the consultation!

In fairness to William he was on the Council at the time but was not responsible for the high level decision making. He is a Conservative Councillor and was easily outvoted at the time by Liberal Democrats, even when he protested against the Option 1 crossroads at Macclesfield Road.

I agree with you it is going to be a big challenge, but what choice do we have except to fight tooth and nail to get this bypass completed to the M60?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
12th December 2014 at 4:34PM, Edit: 12th December 2014 at 5:51PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

The set of modelling I saw didn't appear to show much of a reduction if any. High Lane in particular will suffer to a greater extent but I did see some relatively significant increases in Hazel Grove.

This has been going on so long, I can barely remember the early stages of the consultation!

In fairness to William he was on the Council at the time but was not responsible for the high level decision making. He is a Conservative Councillor and was easily outvoted at the time by Liberal Democrats, even when he protested against the Option 1 crossroads at Macclesfield Road.

I agree with you it is going to be a big challenge, but what choice do we have except to fight tooth and nail to get this bypass completed to the M60?

Why waste your breath Oliver. They've not listened to William or Andrew Stunnel so far so why (with more government cutbacks planned ahead) should they listen and consider a full bypass now.

I know you feel its the bypass or nothing. But I think that perhaps it now time to start pushing for the council planners to come up with some other possible short term solutions (at least) to help with the traffic in the Grove. We've heard about the narrowing pavements plans but nothing been mentioned since. Why?

I really think that the only people this new road will benefit (in the Grove at least) are the local stores like ASDA and Sainsbury's who will benefit from the increase in night time traffic trade. Hence why I still feel ASDA are looking to stay open till 12 and then eventually push to stay open for 24 hours regardless of local residents objections.

Anyway Oliver there's been lots of excellent ideas put forward on the forum over the past year and it might not be a bad idea to have a look back at some of them. Because lets face it the council don't seem to have many of their own. Or at least ones that they've been willing to share with us.

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
12th December 2014 at 5:41PM
Serenity, I hear what you are saying completely.

Just a word on the bypass - I am not promising it because I can't promise it. It is not within my power to grant these things. All I can do is campaign and fight for the full bypass.

Regarding other solutions, I have heard some ideas coming forward - some more realistic than others and where I can I will look at them.

The one thing that I would ask you to understand that when some may interpret me for being too negative about possible solutions, it is only my intention to manage your expectations for your benefit aswell as mine.

I personally do not believe anything is gained by me promising you the world for votes - I will always try to be honest about what I and cannot reasonably achieve in my role as a local councillor.

Regarding ASDA - I will take what you say on board.

I voted against a proposal to extend MacDonalds opening hours this week for much the same reasons.
<< 1 2 3 >>