10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Sainsburys Petrol Station

<< 1 2 3 ... 29 30 31 32 >>

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Sainsburys Petrol Station
10th January 2016 at 2:41PM
Goggins - the planning inspector makes legal consideration based on the officer's report and limited investigation of their own. How is it confusing that a legal decision may not be what I believe is the best thing for the community?

Again as I have reiterated a number of times on this forum, my main argument was based around congestion. The response to this point in the officer's report was in my opinion weak and based on arguments that were not wholly accurate - eg in regards to 'mitigation' measures in Hazel Grove for A6MARR. I am following these points up directly with our planning department.

Far be it from, trying to make political capital out of it or not understanding the issue, it was our local knowledge and experience of the broader picture across Hazel Grove that led us to make the decision we did.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Expert
Villager

Expert
10th January 2016 at 4:10PM
Unfortunately, as with estate agents, politicians need no qualifications. Fortunately, as part of my post graduate qualification to be an "Expert", I actually did a politics module where we learned, inter alia, that one of the prime functions of a politician was to make difficult decisions on behalf of the electorate. (For "difficult" you might like to read "unpopular".) Simply going along with those who shout loudest without adequate justification is not making a "difficult" decision. All of the people can't have exactly what they want all of the time. That's life, get over it.

Fortunately we do have an appeal process where logic usually prevails. Would one of the elected representatives care to ask the planning officer how many costs awards have been made following appeals that were decided in line with the officer's recommendation? ... following which I would rest my case.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
10th January 2016 at 4:33PM
Expert - if you read an earlier response you can see that I have very clearly stated it had nothing to do with the popularity of one decision over another. Indeed if I had sought to have an easier time by taking this decision, one would have to judge that I have failed, given the reaction of some contributors to this forum.

I don't think my record as a local councillor suggests in any way that I court an easy life of popularity and easy-decisions. I believe residents will support me because of the attitude and values with which I apply myself to the job, coupled with my pro-active approach to being a councillor.

As an "expert" in politics and how politicians behave, I would warn against taking textbook two-dimensional views of politicians. The academic study of politics bares very little relation to the practical day-to-day experience of being a politician.
Expert
Villager

Expert
10th January 2016 at 9:31PM
Oliver, as you have read this thread, you should realise that I have made every attempt not to personalise matters and my comments wre no more aimed at yourself than anyone else. I should add that, whilst I have some formal political education, looking at your photograph, I probably have more years experience in dealing with politicians at every level than you have been on earth.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
11th January 2016 at 6:55AM, Edit: 11th January 2016 at 8:21AM by Serenity
Expert Wrote:

Oliver, as you have read this thread, you should realise that I have made every attempt not to personalise matters and my comments wre no more aimed at yourself than anyone else. I should add that, whilst I have some formal political education, looking at your photograph, I probably have more years experience in dealing with politicians at every level than you have been on earth.

I don't know if you live in the Grove Expert but I do very near to this store and have done for the past 30 years. Within this time I've seen the Grove turned into one huge store car park with nearly every road nearby suffering as a result.

Whilst on paper every new development sounds great and is sold as just what the Grove needs I feel sadly the true reality is that it's just not worth the price we have to pay.

You only have to walk around the Grove and see the traffic congestion everywhere, the constant traffic noise, and the smell from the car fumes,

So forgive me Expert for not accepting yours and other so called expert opinions of what we really need. Those opinions who seem to want to convince me that's their developments aren't really damaging my health there actually improving it and enriching it,

The true reality for me at least isn't that my life is being enriched but that it is actually being damaged (which is backed by the only REAL evidence that I need baised on what I can see and feel) and that something is totally wrong with our decision making process when our so called officers whose expert opinion we seek keep adding to this leathal cocktail without having to seemingly take into consideration the damage to public health caused through traffic congestion when making their decision .

Look around the Grove Expert and see how many expert decisions have been made on behalf of the Grove that we now realise have been either white elephants or huge mistakes. All approved by our so called experts.

Developer's/planners/experts/officers call them what you will will always say that we desperately need something they've got to sell us the dream that cheaper petrol prices will make all the difference to our lifestyle, But they dont have to live with the nightmare of the never ending spaghetti jungle of pollution that they left behind them -WE DO..

So tell me Expert who does stand up for the minority if the majority always seem to win.Should we never question anything that the experts tell us just because they tell us that their better qualified to make the decision on our behalf than we are.

Well in this case I believe what I see ....that we are alrealy overly congested with traffic and that our experts in my first hand expert opinion are wrong ....yet again...
Expert
Villager

Expert
11th January 2016 at 9:58AM
Only thirty years ago! I first lived in Hazel Grove fifty odd years ago and I'm sure my Great Great Great Grandfather would have been appalled at the changes made to the place since he was born there in 1797. Some people call it progress and its much the same everywhere. There's nothing magical about Hazel Grove, its much the same in many areas and if you don't like it I suggest you move somewhere else; perhaps to cloud cuckoo land.

.... and please don't accuse me of trying to tell you what you might need. I have made no attempt to justify this development or any other and, as I've previously said, I really didn't care whether permission was granted or not.

This post has been deleted by the author.

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
11th January 2016 at 11:35AM
Henchman the maar rd is a bypass. In every sense of the word it by passes hazel grove.
Traffic coming from the east and heading for the m56 will now go round HG rather than through it by passing HG. It is not the half I would have built but I am willing to take half rather than nothing. This Bypass will cut traffic thrhrough the Grove in my opinion.
Lyndhurst ave is not in my ward
The tip was kept open until gm waste sold out repeat was saved for 2years until greater manchester polititions decided to sell out the operation to Viridor, so I did help save it from closure. Yourpathetic smokescreen of.broken promises doesn't wash. But then people who don't want to listen and support other parties will always denegrate others trying to make the Grove a better place.
We sucessfully defended Marple because we had grounds, just like we stopped tesco building on the allotments. And dog track. We had planning grounds to do so In the case of sainsburys we didnt and now you the public pay for it
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
12th January 2016 at 8:13AM, Edit: 12th January 2016 at 8:20AM by BlueGrover
Expert Wrote:

Only thirty years ago! I first lived in Hazel Grove fifty odd years ago and I'm sure my Great Great Great Grandfather would have been appalled at the changes made to the place since he was born there in 1797. Some people call it progress and its much the same everywhere. There's nothing magical about Hazel Grove, its much the same in many areas and if you don't like it I suggest you move somewhere else; perhaps to cloud cuckoo land.

.... and please don't accuse me of trying to tell you what you might need. I have made no attempt to justify this development or any other and, as I've previously said, I really didn't care whether permission was granted or not.
I've lived in Hazel Grove for most of my life and there is a certain mindset that believes it is some kind of Utopia.It certainly is not.
It has changed, Friday nights in the seventies resembled Dodge City with fights breaking out everywhere. But there will always be fights when you mix young people and alcohol.
We bemoan the loss of the local shop, Tittertons, Pilsbury's etc. But they closed for a reason, no bugger shopped there anymore.
So to those who moan, read a book called SUMO. Shut Up Move On by Paul McGee
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
12th January 2016 at 9:06AM
I think Hazel Grove is a great place to live - I wouldn't stick around and want to represent the are on the Council if I didn't believe that. Trust me there were easier places to get elected as a Conservative when I first stood.

However, as great as I think some aspects are we have challenges, some of which have been mentioned above. I am a pretty practical and realistic person and I am not proposing we build a new Jerusalem but surely we can make things better than they are?
<< 1 2 3 ... 29 30 31 32 >>

Part of..