10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Sainsburys Petrol Station

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30 31 32 >>

cooper120
Villager

cooper120
Re: Sainsburys Petrol Station
19th May 2015 at 7:37PM
I'm all for it. Cheap fuel, the traffic won't be majorly affected Sainsbury's isn't by far the only problem on the A6.

Keeping it short, the right turn into commercial road causes a huge issue. The cars parked all up the a6 from the car lot are a massive nightmare. This can't all be pinned on Sainsburys. Some residents here would blame Sainsburys for their car breaking town and Thomas Cook delaying a flight.

Also, why are those abandoned houses still there? They look terrible?

P.S. How on earth are ASDA going to contend?? They have no space for a petrol station, the car park is frequently at capacity as it is.

Oliver - the views you have to take to these voting or meetings, how does that work?
I presume with any decision to be made that 90% of what you hear is negative? As people are much more vocal if they don't like something, myself included. How do you balance that?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th May 2015 at 10:30PM
It's a good question Cooper!

It's up to each member of the Area Committee how/she votes but there are several things that need to be considered:

- National Planning policy and guidelines (what are material or immaterial considerations)
- arguments in objection
- arguments in support
- needs of the community etc

The recommendation made by the Area Committee is precisely that and it can be overturned by the Councils full Planning Committee. Likewise, even if they uphold the decision, it can be overturned upon appeal.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th May 2015 at 10:33PM
Sorry - on the question of how I balance the vocal minority vs silent majority - I weigh the arguments by merit, not frequency.

At the end of the day, I am a representative, elected to use my judgement and decision-making skills in these situations, not to simply be a mouth piece for one group or another.
Moto3
Villager

Moto3
20th May 2015 at 7:41AM

"P.S. How on earth are ASDA going to contend?? They have no space for a petrol station, the car park is frequently at capacity as it is."

I heard that they want to build a petrol station on the Woodman pub footprint

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
20th May 2015 at 8:22AM
Your right Cooper120 Sainsbury's can's be blamed for everything and your right Oliver that everything should be taken into consideration and not just the mere fact that consumers want cheaper fuel prices. What other positive reason could there be for building yet another petrol station when they obviously think that we have too many in the area as they keep shutting them down. And your also right Cooperman/Coleman that the Grove's traffic problems and Sainsbury's in and out system are already in a complete mess. I'm not personally against Sainsbury's or any other supermarket. I'm just against poor planning in the first place.

And it's not merely the A6 that suffers from the poor planning but it's the knock on effect as the demand for parking spaces out ways the supply for parking spaces. So what do the planners do to solve the problem they open up a car park that is so far away from the problem it probably won't or can't be used be used by those who need it. Time will only tell but sorry to say I feel that it is just an example of more poor planning.

Not so long ago Andrew Stunnell told us why he was fighting against ASDA opening up in Marple. He said that lessons had to be learnt from the big mistakes made in the past that allowed such large supermarkets to be built in Grove when it already had a major problems from congested traffic. A big mistake he said and not one that he wanted repeating in Marple. I envied Marple at the time for having someone who was on there side and who actually fought for the needs and wants of the local community.

So are we never going to learn any lessons from these mistakes and just keep making them again by passing more badly thought of plans biased simply on consumer needs alone. To what point do we say no more. Do we wait until the Grove comes to a complete standstill. We already know that pollution figures along the A6 are far to high as they stand now.

So Oliver please take the needs of the community along with you as well when you go into your meeting. I would like to have see more community meetings when these future plans for the Grove are addressed openly. Are these the meetings held at the community centre. Do they discuss such future plans? Because in all honesty I won't have known anything about this new proposal if I hadn't read this forum thread.

When you go into your meeting Oliver you should also take into consideration that two large housing developments are set to finish shortly and that if we keep going on and on can our roads really cope. I know we need a bypass but what about our quality of life until then. It's alright catering for the needs of the so called out of town consumer (passing by commuters/ shoppers from other areas) but what about looking after the local community needs.

I didn't agree with much Andrew Stunnell had to say but I do feel that sometimes it is time to learn from the mistakes of the past and not to continue making them in the future.

We should be looking for ways to make Hazel Grove a better place to live in. I've never heard anyone say lets go and living in Hazel Grove because it's got cheap petrol prices. I want Hazel Grove have safer roads not cheap petrol prices.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
20th May 2015 at 8:31AM
Moto3 Wrote:

"P.S. How on earth are ASDA going to contend?? They have no space for a petrol station, the car park is frequently at capacity as it is."

I heard that they want to build a petrol station on the Woodman pub footprint

Can you confirm this Oliver. There was talk several years ago but Kevin Hogg squeashed it completely by saying that the council would not permit such a development as it would cause to many problems in an already overly congested part of the Grove. This is what I meant about competition. It might be good for the cheap consumer prices but for local residents who have to live next door it's A BIG NO.

This post has been deleted by the author.

Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
20th May 2015 at 9:36AM
Serenity Wrote:

What other positive reason could there be for building yet another petrol station when they obviously think that we have too many in the area as they keep shutting them down.

There are only two petrol stations in Hazel Grove, one near the police station which is by far the dearest i can think of (no idea who uses it) and one at the Fiveways. Both are at that far end of the grove, granted these is Shell at this end if you venture in to Great moor. But really there isn't one in the grove to serve this end.

But where are these petrol stations that keep closing? the last one i remember being closed around here is the esso experiment years ago that stood where the carwash is now.

I just think that a well planned (and the plans look very sensible and thought out) addition of supermarket priced fuel can only bring more competitive prices to the local market.

And look at it this way, sooner or later either sainsburys or asda will get permission to build a petrol station, whether or not people like it the argument that the immediate area doesn't have one is likely to get through the planners eventually, even if it takes several attempts and appeals. Thats just the way planning rules work.
So whichever gets permission first is likely to be the only one (because their only strong argument is then null), the question then is would you rather it be Sainsburys in a position where it is further from anyone's homes, and better linked to the road network or at Asda where i admit it would cause chaos?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
20th May 2015 at 10:45PM
It's surely got to get the go ahead, I mean look at the history of the grove with the council allowing more and more pressure to be put on a busy a6 that struggles to cope as it is, I have a conspiracy theory that they are doing this to deliberately slow traffic and force the gov into building a proper bypass!!!
Firstly you allow a sainsburys to build a monster shop with different plans then was set out then you eventually let asda block a lane for months and months on end and put another set of lights where there's about 3-4 within a few hundred yards and that has a knock on effect to commercial rd traffic that generally backs right up most of the day now.
If that's not good enough you build a park and ride at another main jct point at the other end of the grove that will attract more traffic into the area to use the car park which is ironic lol and while they're doing that they're about to add yet another set of traffic lights at the car wash in the next few weeks, you couldn't write this stuff honestly!!!
So bring on sainsburys petrol station as we need one of those when years gone by we've had them in grove didn't we where mcds is but somehow fiveways or great moor is too far for some to drive?
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
26th May 2015 at 10:54AM
i agree the main problem on the a6 going towards stockport is the car lot and local businesses parking on the road. Make it double yellow lines and enforce it or make laybys.

It'll never get better otherwise. Its very frustrating.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30 31 32 >>

Part of..