10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Sainsburys Petrol Station

<< 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >>

Expert
Villager

Expert
Re: Sainsburys Petrol Station
7th January 2016 at 5:27PM
I suggest that Serenity and Vulcanman read the Inspector's decision letter before commenting on the illogicality of the decision. Having now read both the decision letter and the costs award, it is clear to me that, whatever many of the contributors to this thread may think, the Council has failed to justify its refusal of permission.

Paragraphs 8 and 9 of the Costs Award are very telling -

8. By reference to detailed, technical evidence, the appellant successfully argued that the highway impacts of the development would not be severe and, moreover, was supported in that by the Council’s planning officer’s recommendation and its Highways Engineer’s advice. Council Members of course bring personal knowledge and experience to their role and must take account of the views of third parties, including local residents, but must still demonstrate that they are exercising their judgement reasonably on the basis of strong, objective evidence.
9. In this case, the Council’s evidence at appeal, which was heavily reliant on very limited, non-technical survey information, personal observation and third party views, was unconvincing. No strong argument was put forward that “safe and suitable access to the site”, as required by the second bullet point of paragraph 32, could not be achieved. The Council’s case manifestly failed to demonstrate that the highways impact would be severe.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Expert
Villager

Expert
7th January 2016 at 5:30PM
PFS1 Wrote:

Our 'Expert' has been 'spot on' all through this fiasco and so I for one would appreciate his views on what can be done to prevent this type of fiasco reoccurring in the future.

The Council employs its own "Experts" - follow their advice!
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
7th January 2016 at 5:51PM
I do believe this decision will be regretted eventually and I do believe that the Council has no development plan for Hazel Grove which is a very serious matter. None of the A6 MARRR modelling that was used to refute our case around congestion takes into account any further developments agreed post 2009.

A big part of the case against us was supported by the officers report. I am reviewing this matter with Council officers but I cannot make any public comment on detail as I have already been cautioned for discussing my views on this issue in public.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
7th January 2016 at 7:12PM
Nothing can be done to prevent this kind of fiasco as you call it unless the gov really devolve power to the councils.
The deck was stacked as you say but rules are rules and there were no options other than to grant this like it or not, the government looks after big buisness rather than us the little people, we don't matter other than at elctions.
This had no reason to be turned down under planning laws, people might not like it butthat are the rules the council are given to operate under.
The general public need to get themselves educated as to what the council can and can't do and vote accordingly.
They should also write to their conservative mp to change the rules.
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
8th January 2016 at 8:12AM
Fantastic news. Cheaper petrol in HG.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th January 2016 at 10:45AM, Edit: 8th January 2016 at 10:49AM by Serenity
I understand how the council and goverment work Kevin and I know that in decisions like this one that involve making money that the highest bidder will always win especially under the present government. But you still have to stand up and be counted, otherwise all you will ever get is more of the same and nothing will ever change.

You talk about making changes higher up the line but one of the changes I would like to see come from this fiaso is that all our councillors work professionally together and look for ways in the future to make a flawed system work for the Grove instead of wasting time and money bickering amongst themselves.

You talk about the Groves budget but surely these rich businesses should be contributing financially to improve our area. It's their stores that create most of the problems the residents have to put up with. Get them to pay for such things as the parking for residents that you say come out of the Groves budget.

We cant stop them but we can hold them financial accountable.
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
8th January 2016 at 11:40AM
Serenity, it was pointed out on the night byboth the proffessional officers and those on the lib dem side what the result of this would be. Unfortunately we were out voted by a recently elected inexperienced conservative majority realising that for the first time in many years they could get their way and bloody mindedly got their way against all advice.
When situations like this happen the council system has a fall back position in order to prevent political games being played that costs local people thousands of pounds. This was put forward by me of a site visit to give more time toinvestigate the situation, this was voted down. I think the tories have learned a hard lesson here about what a cllr can do and ignoring the law is one of them
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
8th January 2016 at 12:17PM
Councillor Hogg you reccommended a site visit because you didn't want to cast a vote. It had nothing to do with allowing more time. You are experienced endough to know that the Planning Committee would have sided with the officers report.

Now I am intrigued to know whether you found anything factually wrong or open to challenge in the officers report?

I point particularly to issues such as non-existent A6MARR mitigation measures for Hazel Grove and modelling done in 2009 being applied to a development in 2015/16. Both of these things were used by the inspector and the officer to argue a case against our decision.

Finally, will you join me in opposing any attempt to take monies from the delegated budget? I see no justification for this.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th January 2016 at 4:49PM
I can't really understand your views Kevin you seem to want what's best for the Grove but you seem defeated   before you start when you go up against such plans as the petrol station. I think that you've been so ground down over the years by goverment restraints that you've resigned yourself to losing before you start. You might say that you're a realist but if you really believe that there's nothing that can be done to change things then why do we need councillors and why do you want to stay in politics.

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
8th January 2016 at 4:54PM
Serenity Wrote:

I can't really understand your views Kevin you seem to want what's best for the Grove

By what's best for the Grove, do you mean what you think is best for the Grove, or what other people think is best for the Grove? People I've spoke to seem to be in favour of the petrol station at Sainsburys - the only opposition seems to be our delightful councillors and a vocal couple of people on this forum?
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 >>

Part of..