10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Sainsburys Petrol Station

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30 31 32 >>

vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
Re: Sainsburys Petrol Station
18th May 2015 at 10:19AM
I have to agree with Twisted here. However with the lack of cheap petrol in the area the argument to stop this is not as compelling as it could be.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
18th May 2015 at 10:26AM
Coleman Wrote:

I really don't see the issue with a petrol station at sainsburys, Realistically it'll have virtually no effect on the traffic and will give us supermarket priced petrol.

I think there is a touch of complaining for the sake of it here.

I don't doubt the need at all. As a driver sick of the inflated prices in the area, a supermaket petrol station is definitely a positive.

The location however is going to cause people that traditionally fill up elsewhere to divert to Sainsburys (Myself included, to be honest). When you get more than 6 people turning right into Sainsburys from the A6 it already causes traffic to backup significantly, extra traffic for Sainsburys is only going to make this problem worse.

Sadly, there isn't a realistic solution to this problem without demolition of these houses.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
18th May 2015 at 11:13AM, Edit: 18th May 2015 at 11:14AM by Serenity
Coleman Wrote:

I really don't see the issue with a petrol station at sainsburys, Realistically it'll have virtually no effect on the traffic and will give us supermarket priced petrol.

I think there is a touch of complaining for the sake of it here.

Reasons why not Coleman:- More traffic queuing for petrol as they see a petrol station and stop were before they wouldn't have. Badly sited access in and out and junctions that are poor if not inadequate already. Diesel pollution and smell from the site adding to the pollution we already experience now which is already to high.

And if you lived on the doorstep of these stores Coleman you'd know that it's not just complaining for the sake of it and I also think your being a little patronising Coleman when you say that. I wish I'd complained all those years ago when Sainsbury's didn't follow through with there plans to build a new road to take the traffic away from the A6 as planned or when ASDA didn't do what they said they would do.

Whilst I can appreciate the need for stores to provide it's customers with competitive marketing attractions let them go and open up a petrol station in a more suitable location and not one where the area is so badly congested already.

And again you've got to ask yourself the question why was the initial planning rejected - and why now is it being considered? What has changed since all those years ago when it wasn't given the go-ahead. If anything the area has become even busier and has a greater reason to reject this plan or any similar plan.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
18th May 2015 at 2:17PM
Do you really think it'll make any noticeable difference to the traffic on the A6? Really?

If the filter lane in to Sainsburys is already too small, then it's still going to be too small, the A6 at peak times already crawls so add say 1% (probably much less) to the volume of traffic and it'll do the same. I fail to see where there will be any difference.

Now yeah, if the filter lane was coping ok and the A6 was coping with traffic at present then sure there would be an argument that adding a petrol station could cause problems, but we already have the problems without a petrol station. I say lets at lease get some competitively priced petrol.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
18th May 2015 at 2:49PM, Edit: 18th May 2015 at 2:59PM by Serenity
Coleman Wrote:

Do you really think it'll make any noticeable difference to the traffic on the A6? Really?

If the filter lane in to Sainsburys is already too small, then it's still going to be too small, the A6 at peak times already crawls so add say 1% (probably much less) to the volume of traffic and it'll do the same. I fail to see where there will be any difference.

Now yeah, if the filter lane was coping ok and the A6 was coping with traffic at present then sure there would be an argument that adding a petrol station could cause problems, but we already have the problems without a petrol station. I say lets at lease get some competitively priced petrol.

I really don't see your logic on this one Coleman apart from you selfishly wanting cheaper petrol. How long do you think it would take until ASDA followed suit in an effort to compete with Sainsbury's. Then that's 2 petrol stations in a short space each pouring out traffic onto a stretch of road that just can't cope as it is already. Would your solution be again - well the entrance at ASDA wasn't working so what the heck let them build because I as a consumer want more competitive priced petrol. Can't you see the writing on the wall or are you choosing to ignore it simply because it doesn't effect you in a negative way.

I thought you were one of the few that seemed in favour of looking for ways to improve the Grove not just catering to the supply and demand process. That's what got us into this situation in the first place. That and bad planning.

I'm sure if there was a problem on the stretch of road where you lived you'd want to try to sort it out and not merely ignore it or worse still add to it.

And answer me one thing Coleman how will cheaper petrol prices affect the Grove in a positive way. It might help you (the consumer) but the Grove NO.

Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
18th May 2015 at 3:23PM
I live just off the A6 so the traffic very much does affect me.

The point i am making is that the amount of traffic a petrol station will add to the A6 is so tiny it'll make no difference, especially since the A6 is already almost permanently gridlocked.

Realistically how many cars would it add, and for obvious reason you have to count out those people who are only nipping in whilst they are already there shopping in sainsburys. I would be surprised if it ended up being much more than 30-40 cars an hour. if that is the case then it would be almost nothing in comparison to the traffic that already travels the A6.

If the road wasn't so busy then maybe a few extra cars would be an issue, and i'm sure the planners would consider that before granting any planning approval.

So since i believe there is no negative points worth considering, i would say that yes added competition locally would be a great thing for consumers, i.e. everyone!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
18th May 2015 at 3:41PM
Coleman Wrote:

I live just off the A6 so the traffic very much does affect me.

The point i am making is that the amount of traffic a petrol station will add to the A6 is so tiny it'll make no difference, especially since the A6 is already almost permanently gridlocked.

Realistically how many cars would it add, and for obvious reason you have to count out those people who are only nipping in whilst they are already there shopping in sainsburys. I would be surprised if it ended up being much more than 30-40 cars an hour. if that is the case then it would be almost nothing in comparison to the traffic that already travels the A6.

If the road wasn't so busy then maybe a few extra cars would be an issue, and i'm sure the planners would consider that before granting any planning approval.

So since i believe there is no negative points worth considering, i would say that yes added competition locally would be a great thing for consumers, i.e. everyone!

On this one I'm afraid we'll have to disagree Coleman. If there were no negative points to consider then why did the initial plans not get approved. Any increase in traffic no matter how small can't be good thing. And if you're looking for cheaper fuel then so will others. I think you underestimate the negative impact Coleman.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
18th May 2015 at 4:18PM
Maybe i am but i don't think so.

It was a long time ago when they built the store, a lot has changed since. So maybe the reasoning behind rejecting the plans back then isn't an issue now. Who knows, maybe it'll be passed this time, maybe they will reject it again.

I suppose we will see soon enough.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th May 2015 at 10:53AM
Hi All

Just an update on this, I have called in this planning application to be considered by the Area Committee.

This means that the applicant and any objectors have the opportunity to speak at a public meeting. It will then be debated by the 9 Councillors from Hazel Grove, Offerton and Stepping Hill before we make a reccommendation to the planning committee.

I will post a link to the agenda once the papers for this meeting are published.

In the meantime, please see the below link to the details of the application plus information on the consultation:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=122180

Again happy to continue to receive views and opinions from anyone, irrespective of your standpoint.

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
19th May 2015 at 11:55AM
Further to the above, I have been told that the meeting is due to come to the Area Committee due to the level of objections already received.

As a consequence this may be 9th June (date of the next meeting) or the one after.

As usual, I will keep the forum up to date.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30 31 32 >>

Part of..