10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Sainsburys Petrol Station

<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30 31 32 >>

thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
Sainsburys Petrol Station
16th May 2015 at 2:02PM
We all know that Sainsburys were refused permission to build a filling station when they built the store. Well chatter on twitter indicates the plan has been resurrected. And they are already looking for builders:
http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/planning-leads/Stockport/view/17596

Apparently it will be at the side of the store where the staff car park is.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Ankersman
Villager

Ankersman
Re: Sainsburys Petrol Station
16th May 2015 at 7:53PM
That feels like a bad idea because that area creates most of the congestion in Hazel Grove.

It will also make leaving the supermarket significantly harder.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
17th May 2015 at 9:01AM, Edit: 17th May 2015 at 9:26AM by Serenity
thealastairw Wrote:

We all know that Sainsburys were refused permission to build a filling station when they built the store. Well chatter on twitter indicates the plan has been resurrected. And they are already looking for builders:
http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/planning-leads/Stockport/view/17596

Apparently it will be at the side of the store where the staff car park is.

Can this be right without any prior consultation with the public. No mention anywhere from anyone. Do they not need any permission to proceed?

I don't understand if planning permission failed the first time round what's significantly changed since then to suddenly have the go-ahead now. The only thing that I can see that has changed significantly is that the A6 has got even busier and with more property is being built in the area which is bound to lead to even more traffic on the A6 than ever before. And oh yes the bypass never got built as we were promised to relieve the congestion.

What would make sense (for the Grove) is for the powers to be to look for solutions to help reduce the Groves traffic problem and not keep passing plans which please Sainsbury's and the like but make living in the Grove for the residents even worse.

I think that eventually we'll get our bypass but it will only be at the cost of more pollution and more industrial buildings behind built at the back of Sainsbury's eating away at the greenbelt until eventually the Grove merely sits on the outskirts of yet another big industrial estate.

I wonder what our councillors have to say on this one. Is this the future for the Grove?
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
17th May 2015 at 10:58AM
To be fair, a supermarket petrol station in HG will be a good thing, the BP and Esso are both overpriced in relation to the wider area.

Is Sainsburys the right location? No, it will cause chaos!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
17th May 2015 at 2:05PM
Jenny Wrote:

To be fair, a supermarket petrol station in HG will be a good thing, the BP and Esso are both overpriced in relation to the wider area.

Is Sainsburys the right location? No, it will cause chaos!

I can't understand why they closed down perfectly good petrol stations all along the A6 such as the one which has been turned into a car wash. At least there the A6 wasn't that busy. But to now want to open one in area that is already a congested bottle-neck just seems ludicrous.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Pedestrian
Villager

Pedestrian
17th May 2015 at 7:37PM, Edit: 17th May 2015 at 7:41PM by Pedestrian
The planning application is on the Stockport Planning Application page reference DC/056579 and so far there are 55 responses with 54 of those against.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
17th May 2015 at 8:43PM
Unfortunately I cannot give an opinion on this application in public, otherwise I will be guilty of pre-determination and disqualified from voting on this application when the time comes.

All I can say at this stage is that I have followed this discussion closely and will be mindful of all arguments presented when I must consider whether to approve this applicatIon or not. If anyone wishes to make their opinion known to me they can do on this forum or via email on cllr.oliver.johnstone@stockport.gov.uk
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
17th May 2015 at 10:23PM
I am surprised that people are surprised that Sainsburys can go ahead and do this without any consultation etc!!!
lets face it, they rode roughshod over planning applications when originally being built, the store should have faced the other way, it should have had no entrance off the already congested A6, there was meant to be specially built road in which would have cost them money to purchase properties on Roseberry drive (think that's its name) and others. Yet money talks and all that went out the window and our village was even more decimated by a council that didnt give a toss as long as they got their "environmental financial gift" off Sainsburys. They will do what they want, if they want a petrol station they will get it whether you like it or not
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
18th May 2015 at 8:02AM
TwistedBanana Wrote:

I am surprised that people are surprised that Sainsburys can go ahead and do this without any consultation etc!!!
lets face it, they rode roughshod over planning applications when originally being built, the store should have faced the other way, it should have had no entrance off the already congested A6, there was meant to be specially built road in which would have cost them money to purchase properties on Roseberry drive (think that's its name) and others. Yet money talks and all that went out the window and our village was even more decimated by a council that didnt give a toss as long as they got their "environmental financial gift" off Sainsburys. They will do what they want, if they want a petrol station they will get it whether you like it or not

The problem seems to be that plans get submitted to the public for consultation and then somehow along the way the same plans get changed. Take ASDA for instant. On their plans there were areas of green bushes to the front and rear of ASDA designed to help soften the car park. But what we actually got was just the opposite they hacked down a perfectly healthy flowering cherry tree that had helped soften the landscape for years. And when I rang the Manager to ask why all I was told was that the council had changed the plans and told them to do it. So all we'll left with now is an ugly ranch style fence that is neither use nor ornament. All it does is let the litter blow through and obscures nothing. What's the point in plans being approved with public consultation when the same plans are then allowed to be changed.

As for Sainsbury's as far as I'm concerned someone should be protecting the rights of the residents of Hazel Grove and not keep giving in and approving plans that will bring more traffic (which a petrol station will definitely do) to the Grove.

We can't go back and undue the harm that was done (in the way of the significant increase in traffic) when they built Sainsbury's. But hopefully our new councillors can think very carefully and perhaps learn a lesson from past mistakes and consider the long term impact that their approval of such plans will have on the future of the Grove.

Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
18th May 2015 at 9:12AM
I really don't see the issue with a petrol station at sainsburys, Realistically it'll have virtually no effect on the traffic and will give us supermarket priced petrol.

I think there is a touch of complaining for the sake of it here.
3 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30 31 32 >>

Part of..