Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

13th March 2016 at 1:43PM 17 Comments 

<< 1 2 >>

Expert
Villager

Expert
Re: Response to the New Aldi store in Poynton
13th March 2016 at 2:18PM
Sounds to me that you should be complaining about the comments made by PoyntonMan62 rather than the person who wrote the article.

This sort of thing isn't untypical of Poynton residents. Those with long memories will remember the contraversy when the Boundaries Commission expressed the intention to include Poynton within Stockport back in the dark and dismal days of 1974. The great and good of Poynton took themselves off in a horse-drawn stage-coach down to London (people in the South, of course, go up to London!)to see old "Wingnut" himself and Poynton was duly kept within Cheshire.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Njoxo
Villager

Njoxo
13th March 2016 at 2:22PM
They may think Hazel Grove is a cut below them but it doesn't stop them driving in to use free parking at our station to save them a couple of pounds
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
14th March 2016 at 8:13AM
Stop slagging Poynton, I have friends who live there. Wait a minute, no I don't, slag away to your hearts content!
It makes me chuckle when they get hot under the collar over low class supermarkets and a grid locked village. Welcome to our world!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
15th March 2016 at 1:46PM
I read the comment the article makes reference to ages ago. Maybe a month back?

It was quickly responded to with allegations of trolling from what I recall?

I'd rather live in Poynton than Hazel Grove any day of the week.

Still, it could be worse...they could have a cut price German supermarket, a U.K version of Walmart, a cardboard burger franchise, a large chicken shop and a load of derelict pubs eh?
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
16th March 2016 at 11:34AM
We would rather you lived in Poynton too Norma
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
16th March 2016 at 10:28PM
Thanks for your kind wishes for my future!   smile

Poynton is that cut above compared to Hazel Grove. Better area, better scenery, better venues and better clientele. It's not got people wearing 'village' jumpers when it's clearly a town. It's won village awards previously. It's a better postcode. Out of the SK7's Hazel Grove is the Jaywick of the bunch. Tell me you wouldn't rather live in Bramhall or Woodford?

It really annoys me how people act on as if Hazel Grove is some lovely village. It's an average area. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hell, we had a double murder on 1 street, an old lady practically kicked to death (later fell and died IIRC?) on Chester Road and a school girl that did time for murder (may be out now off what I last read?). So? I put it to you, make your case for why this place is 'great'?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
17th March 2016 at 7:08AM
Away from the towns I'm sending my daughter to Hazel grove over Poynton high school as I've heard some bad comments about bullying,suicides and drug issues with the school!!
As for towns Poynton does seem to have more going for it, a recently done up nice town centre even though I think the 2 roundels are stupid, Hazel grove is just a busy rd you drive through full of curry houses and run down pubs, I'd love to see it flourish but I don't think it will get much better than that myself with side streets hard to park on with yellow lines residents only etc why would you battle to park then walk along a busy main rd!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
17th March 2016 at 10:10AM
I think its plain to see that the post on the Poynton Forum was written by somebody on a wind-up and fair play to them, to have a bit of fun and then get into the national press is a quality effort

Glen, you are correct that Poynton school is suffering more than most with social issues, in the same way that Bramhall did a few years back.

As for it being a nicer place to live, generally it seems to be on a major downward slope, the road scheme has turned it into mess that looks nice on a quiet Sunday afternoon but for the rest of the time is nothing short of mayhem. I was stuck on Park Lane at 8pm a few nights ago, it was like bloody rush hour as cars were struggling to get in and out of Waitrose. they are also suffering from an increase in takeaways etc, something that many Grovers feel is detriment to their area.

However, there is one bright light on the horizon for the poyntoners, the new Aldi store shows real progression from the Netto store they had up until a couple of years ago.
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
17th March 2016 at 10:17AM
my 2 children go to Hazel Grove High, one is sitting gcse's this year, I've had 5 years experience of the school and seen the improvements, yes there are times I feel like screaming in regards to some teachers but on the whole I'm pleased they go there. my nephew attends Bramhall and it sounds awful, drinking and drugs are a problem apparently, and Poynton High had a poor Ofsted so a 'better'area counts for nothing!!
BlackCat
Villager

BlackCat
17th March 2016 at 4:56PM
Ok Norma, here we go then;
•     Hazel Grove Train Station is near the town centre unlike Poynton's which is nearly a mile out of town.
•     Hazel Grove has virtually a 24 hour bus service which even runs at Christmas and New Year. I don't think Poynton has a bus service.
•     According to the other posters Hazel Grove has better schools.
•     Even though some of the public houses are run down we still have more public houses that are decent, The Fiveways, Rising Sun, the Grove, the Three Bears, The Wilfred Wood, Bullock Smithy, George and Dragon.
•     Better shops with more choice including M&S food, Sainsbury's, Asda, yes and Aldi etc etc
•     We may not have a towers road but some of the houses on Jackson's lane are very plush
Have you ever lived in Poynton Norma? I have its a nightmare to get in and out of the place, and i'm glad to say I got out
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 >>