A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan

Andy Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

4th February 2013 at 2:45PM 32 Comments 
Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan
The planned redevelopment of Marple College Campus including a new ASDA on Hibbert Lane has been refused on the basis that 'it will harm the vitality and viability of Marple and Hazel Grove District Centres'.

Responses were received from 713 properties and a total of 867 individual letters. An 8270 person petition against the proposal was submitted along with a newspaper petition with 297 signatures.

A 284 person petition in support of the application was also received after being collected at Asda Hazel Grove and Asda Stockport.

The report states that taken toegether with the Aldi commitment in Offerton, 'implementation of both the Hibbert Lane and Chadwick Street supermarket proposals (however unlikely) would have a 'significant adverse' impact on Hazel Grove District Centre.'

"It is concluded that the harm to Marple and Hazel Grove District Centres outweighs any potential benefits/cross funding arguments the college has set out. It is also clear that the disposal of the land for alternative development types would secure a significant residual land value (approximately £4.5m), which would be more compliant with the councils policy.

"The proposed benefits to the college do not outweigh the harm to the vitality and viability of Marple and Hazel Grove District Centres. It has been concluded that there is a sequentially preferable site and as such paragraph 27 of the NPPF says that where an application fails to satisfy the sequential test or is likely to have a significant adverse impact on one or more of the above factors then planning permission should be refused."

Full report Here

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
Re: Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan
9th February 2013 at 6:20PM
If you go back far enough the grove was busy with trams and horse and carts. Back then deep in the mists of time well50 years ago anyway. People shopped on a daily basis for fresh food then came the fridge!. Result food can be bought in bulk result larger stores/supermarkets. Along came the freezer! result frozen food on tap again larger supermarkets. Then everyone got cars, Result long walking distances became a couple of minutes so Hypermarkets and out of town shopping, Trafford Centre, Handforth Dean etc. So progress or modern living will cause the next move, massive wharehouses and smaller or few shops as tinternet takes over. Bought anything on line recently or maybe bid TV etc. The days of the high St are numbered I am afraid I will be sorry to see it go
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan
11th February 2013 at 6:00AM, Edit: 11th February 2013 at 8:03AM by Serenity
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

If you go back far enough the grove was busy with trams and horse and carts. Back then deep in the mists of time well50 years ago anyway. People shopped on a daily basis for fresh food then came the fridge!. Result food can be bought in bulk result larger stores/supermarkets. Along came the freezer! result frozen food on tap again larger supermarkets. Then everyone got cars, Result long walking distances became a couple of minutes so Hypermarkets and out of town shopping, Trafford Centre, Handforth Dean etc. So progress or modern living will cause the next move, massive wharehouses and smaller or few shops as tinternet takes over. Bought anything on line recently or maybe bid TV etc. The days of the high St are numbered I am afraid I will be sorry to see it go

It’s a difficult one Kevin. I suppose it’s down to what you mean by the high street. Look at the Grove’s high street. It’s still got amenities that we all want and need, such as Banks, Estate agents, Hair dresses, cobblers, cafes, but to name just a few.

I think that yes obviously the shops that continue to sell things that you can buy cheaper online or from a supermarket might eventually fizzle out. As unfortunately we’re all becoming a nation of lazy shoppers who like our shopping to be done all under one roof. But you could add that are stores such as ASDA and Sainsbury’s not now seen as part of our high street shopping experience?

I still feel however that’s there will always be a need for the smaller high street shops as long as they are able to adapt to what people need. I know that it’s a shame to lose what we remembered as a local high street (butchers, bakers, greengrocers etc). But I for one can remember grocery shopping in the Grove with my Mum and I hated it. Having to trek from shop to shop in the cold winter months, the long queues and then finally having to carrying heavy bags home on the bus. In that respect supermarket shopping is so much easier and convenient. The only thing I that I see radically wrong with it is that it is not exactly environmental friendly to the world or our local community (look at the recent Findus scandal). We should be looking for ways to source locally and from Britain. And that is what I would like to see changed and to become a thing of the past not the high street.

However in the future I do still see a need for a high street.Albeit in a different guise.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 3 4 >>