A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan

Andy Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

4th February 2013 at 2:45PM 32 Comments 
Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan
The planned redevelopment of Marple College Campus including a new ASDA on Hibbert Lane has been refused on the basis that 'it will harm the vitality and viability of Marple and Hazel Grove District Centres'.

Responses were received from 713 properties and a total of 867 individual letters. An 8270 person petition against the proposal was submitted along with a newspaper petition with 297 signatures.

A 284 person petition in support of the application was also received after being collected at Asda Hazel Grove and Asda Stockport.

The report states that taken toegether with the Aldi commitment in Offerton, 'implementation of both the Hibbert Lane and Chadwick Street supermarket proposals (however unlikely) would have a 'significant adverse' impact on Hazel Grove District Centre.'

"It is concluded that the harm to Marple and Hazel Grove District Centres outweighs any potential benefits/cross funding arguments the college has set out. It is also clear that the disposal of the land for alternative development types would secure a significant residual land value (approximately £4.5m), which would be more compliant with the councils policy.

"The proposed benefits to the college do not outweigh the harm to the vitality and viability of Marple and Hazel Grove District Centres. It has been concluded that there is a sequentially preferable site and as such paragraph 27 of the NPPF says that where an application fails to satisfy the sequential test or is likely to have a significant adverse impact on one or more of the above factors then planning permission should be refused."

Full report Here

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
Re: Refused - Marple College & ASDA plan
8th February 2013 at 12:37AM
before sainsburys,asda,kwik save, iceland, aldi m&s and the co-op. The traffic has always been very heavy in hazel grove. Maybe the traffic light make a difference slowing the traffic down. I cannot see how the supermarkets make a difference to traffic. I can go to Asda or Sainsburys every day with hardly any traffic, but come kids coming out off school and rush hour different story. The people I feel sorry for are the individual traders. Hazel Grove used to be buzzing, you could buy everything you needed, we are all guilty of supermarket shopping and clogging the grove.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th February 2013 at 5:56AM
sunflowerdee Wrote:

before sainsburys,asda,kwik save, iceland, aldi m&s and the co-op. The traffic has always been very heavy in hazel grove. Maybe the traffic light make a difference slowing the traffic down. I cannot see how the supermarkets make a difference to traffic. I can go to Asda or Sainsburys every day with hardly any traffic, but come kids coming out off school and rush hour different story. The people I feel sorry for are the individual traders. Hazel Grove used to be buzzing, you could buy everything you needed, we are all guilty of supermarket shopping and clogging the grove.

What you've got to ask yourself sunflowerdee ...are all these shoppers who use our supermarkets local residents. I'm sure that the answer is no. So that's exactly why Supermarkets can only equal traffic.

As for the main road being quite, well I live near the junctions of Sainsbury's and Asda and I can assure you there is always slow moving traffic waiting to get through the traffic lights and it's never quite.

As for the local traders I'd love to go back to how it was but it's not going to happen. Not as long as shopping in the Grove means putting up with fumes, noise and heavy traffic.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
8th February 2013 at 3:49PM
Not a done deal yet ... ASDA have as expected put some last minute hurdles in the way. See the Marple in Action website for more.
slim
Townsperson

slim
8th February 2013 at 3:57PM
Did they think asda would just roll over and accept defeat ? Big brand chains stick at it untill they get there own way .
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th February 2013 at 4:29PM, Edit: 8th February 2013 at 4:34PM by Serenity
vulcanman Wrote:

Not a done deal yet ... ASDA have as expected put some last minute hurdles in the way. See the Marple in Action website for more.

I can't download the report. What are the last minute hurdles Asda are proposing.. any ideas..

Shouldn't really be pleased by this news, but somehow in view of whats gone on so far, I can't help but feel glad that it's not all going to plan and that ASDA's not giving up as easy as the residents of Marple thought they would.

I think it's because I'm still somewhat annoyed by Marple's NIMBY approach to this supermarket.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
8th February 2013 at 5:43PM
"A huge turnout of local people opposed to an ASDA on Hibbert Lane crowded into Marple Cricket Club last night (Wednesday) expecting to hear local councillors recommend refusal of the planning application in accordance with Stockport Planning Officers' advice.

Instead they listened in stunned disbelief as it was announced that Asda had just forwarded further information to support their planning application. Despite a very lengthy consultation and report process, Asda, by their last minute submission, forced the Area Committee to defer the hearing to a later date to allow Councillors and officers sufficient time to consider this extra information

MIA fears that these delaying tactics can only be intended to frustrate our local democratic process, and it further illustrates the cynical contempt that Asda have shown towards the people of Marple.

Our heartfelt concerns for local residents, local businesses and the future viability of our town centre are of no importance to their ruthless determination to build a supermarket, against all local planning rules, outside the town centre on Hibbert Lane.

The application by Kirkland Developments to build a supermarket on the Chadwick Street car park was however heard by the Councillors, and was unanimously approved by the Committee and applauded by the meeting.

It is now expected that the ASDA planning application will be heard at the next Area Committee meeting on 27th February 2013."

fingers-xd

LOL @ them suggesting it's some 'out of town' development, it's a 2 minute walk from the centre!?!   doh

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
8th February 2013 at 6:00PM
am i right in thinking its about as far out of the town centre as sainburys to the centre of hazel grove, it really is two mins walk and as regards residents living right next to it,isnt sainsburys or asda in the grove right in amongst peoples houses???
i really hope asda will keep going for it,sounds like they want it if theyre trying other things surely it might help hazel grove traffic taking away some people who will go there instead of heading into the grove?
every little helps!!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
9th February 2013 at 7:28AM, Edit: 9th February 2013 at 8:36AM by Serenity
cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

Serenity it isn`t as simple as you make out ring me at home 456 4936 and I will attempt to explain it in detail.
The Council is bound by PPG`s (planning policy guidlines) which means it cannot block things that the Government wants to happen, ie plans good for business but not so good for the community.
There are so many rules to follow it gives little or no chance of refusal but presumes Granting an application.

Why then if there is no room for refusal has ASDA been blocked from building a store in Marple.

The reasons that the Marple residents are citing are:-
The adverse affect this proposed development would have on the vitality and viability of Marple District Centre.
The adverse affect this proposed development would have on the local community.
The substantial increase in traffic would be too much for the road infrastructure in Marple

All these factors surely must have applied to Sainsbury's when their plans were first proposed. But for whatever reason the plans were still passed and the store was built. If these rules applied for the Grove then why not now for Marple?

Plus I'm still not sure how Marple can include the Grove within there auguement. How do they know that it will badly effect the Grove as well. How on earth have they determined this piece of jibberish piece of information.

I think that the opposite would apply and that it would be a good thing for the Grove, by taking traffic away.

I still think that a big potion of the problem is slobbery and a NIMBY Marple culture. Perhaps if it was a Harrods opening they'd welcome the venture.

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
9th February 2013 at 1:46PM
Serenity Wrote:

cllrkevinhogg Wrote:

Serenity it isn`t as simple as you make out ring me at home 456 4936 and I will attempt to explain it in detail.
The Council is bound by PPG`s (planning policy guidlines) which means it cannot block things that the Government wants to happen, ie plans good for business but not so good for the community.
There are so many rules to follow it gives little or no chance of refusal but presumes Granting an application.

Why then if there is no room for refusal has ASDA been blocked from building a store in Marple.

The reasons that the Marple residents are citing are:-
The adverse affect this proposed development would have on the vitality and viability of Marple District Centre.
The adverse affect this proposed development would have on the local community.
The substantial increase in traffic would be too much for the road infrastructure in Marple

All these factors surely must have applied to Sainsbury's when their plans were first proposed. But for whatever reason the plans were still passed and the store was built. If these rules applied for the Grove then why not now for Marple?

Plus I'm still not sure how Marple can include the Grove within there auguement. How do they know that it will badly effect the Grove as well. How on earth have they determined this piece of jibberish piece of information.

I think that the opposite would apply and that it would be a good thing for the Grove, by taking traffic away.

I still think that a big potion of the problem is slobbery and a NIMBY Marple culture. Perhaps if it was a Harrods opening they'd welcome the venture.

I suppose the 'argument' would be that Sainsburys comes off a 4 lane road, whilst Asda in Marple would be coming off a 2 lane road. It's a load of rubbish in my eyes as there is a stonking great big college car park with cars coming and going throughout the day already.

The 'harmful to Hazel Grove' point would probably be that fewer people may use the Hazel Grove ASDA by virtue of changing capture boundaries or the like but if ASDA themselves aren't bothered by the loss of trade in Hazel Grove, why should Marple care?

It probably is slobbery, lazy beggars can't be bothered to walk 2 minutes from the centre but no doubt a lot of snobbery too... giggle
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
9th February 2013 at 5:24PM
When you look at the plans ASDA have proposed for Marple it looks better than what they have now.
http://www.marplecollegeandasda.co.uk/#
<< 1 2 3 4 >>