A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

pubs in Hazel Grove

Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
pubs in Hazel Grove
17th February 2014 at 10:33AM
Just noticed this story...About the pubs closing on the A6.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/365709/Struggling-bosses-at-NINE-pubs-within-a-quarter-mile-call-time-on-pulling-pints

on one hand, I feel sorry for the people trying to makea living out of it, but on the other, it's like the shopping centres and high streets dying out.. Things change, they always have and always will

The issue here i think is how the breweries have been tying these people to prices where they cannot complete with the supermarkets and big chains.
Robinson s in particular have now killed the goose that laid the golden egg. ..
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
Re: pubs in Hazel Grove
17th February 2014 at 11:55AM
The problem is that the market has changed as you say and the breweries and most licensees have failed to adapt en mass.

The licensees are very quick to blame the brewery, yes they charge too much rent and too much for the beer. But what about the people running the pubs who failed to change their offer to suit the market? For a few years now people have been looking for more from their local, food, entertainment, etc. But a lot of the pubs that are failing are doing so because they have tried to stick to beer sales only and thats simply not enough.

It's no coincidence that the places that are closing are the ones that are run down and either don't offer food or offer poor food! And that the pubs that are doing well (and some are doing very well) are the ones who invested and adapted to the changing market.

Truth is that there are so many pubs in the uk, from a consumer point of view losing a chunk of them is no bad thing, those that survive will do so because they improve, we will loose the chaff and in a few years there will be a niche market develop for 'traditional pubs' once there are little or non of these left. Sounds daft when its the 'traditional pub' that are struggling, but people get nostalgic about things they no longer have, when the traditional pub is all but gone, the people who have the vision to open a place with that traditional feel, look and experience will find they have a gold mine on their hands if they get the formula right!
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
17th February 2014 at 12:00PM
Totally agree about not getting dewy eyed about stuff.
Things changed to put them there in the first place, and things will change to remove them.

I do put more blame on the breweries than you do though. Fair enough these landlords have not moved with the times, but it looks like Robbies for eg have tied them in for a long time with expensive beer.

I do think that the days of a few old guys sitting around drinking a couple of pints all night is unsustainable though.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
17th February 2014 at 12:34PM
Don't get me wrong, i do blame the breweries for it they don't care about their licencees and are only interested in making as much money as possible, however i'm just pointing out that the licencees are just as accountable for their failings!

In the article its all 'poor me, i have to leave my pub because the evil brewery is out to get me' when the reality is that they have to shoulder some of the blame too. They could have improved their pubs and be doing well, but they did nothing!

Although as i said the breweries don't really care about the licencees and of course will squeeze out every penny they can, but if they are approached with sound plan to improve a pub that will work, they will, and do put their hands in their pockets! Thing is they aren't going to go and throw money at a pub if the landlord is only going to potter around doing the status quo.

There is one other upshot to mass pub closures, there is and will continue to be a small but significant resurgence in freehouses! There was a time a third or more pubs were freehouses with multiple choices of ales and larger all at competitive prices and with character and uniqueness you will never find in the almost carbon copies that most breweries churn out! That can only be a good thing in my book!
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
17th February 2014 at 2:16PM
A good case in point is the bulls head in Poynton.
They've bought that off the brewery... However it's bloody expensive fora pint.

That's no way to run a business... ripping people off.   I will just not go back.

Part of..

Tagged With..