10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Jeff
Drifter
Re: Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
1st May 2012 at 5:55AM
3 million quid spent well then!
Wonder why our councillours didn't get involved about all that money being wasted in one area when the state of the roads in many other areas are terrible and Somone decides to make a brick main rd with invisible none marked out junctions,surely this is dangerous and the council could be sued for any possible accidents due to no road markings?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
1st May 2012 at 9:05AM
Drifter Wrote:

Wonder why our councillours didn't get involved about all that money being wasted in one area when the state of the roads in many other areas are terrible and Somone decides to make a brick main rd with invisible none marked out junctions,surely this is dangerous and the council could be sued for any possible accidents due to no road markings?

Poynton is in Macc so our council had nothing to do with this one!
Jeff
Drifter
1st May 2012 at 11:06PM
Wow macc have some money to burn, does Stockport have any money to waste like that lol
adenough
Drifter
1st May 2012 at 11:28PM
Coleman Wrote:

Drifter Wrote:

Poynton is in Macc so our council had nothing to do with this one!

YET!!!!!!!
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
1st May 2012 at 11:44PM
The road scheme is based on a Dutch method that is supposed to give equal rights to both pedestrians and road users. While drives are hesitant 'cos they can't work out what to do then the idea is that they will be more focused on whats around them.

Its an interesting approach, time will tell whether it will work or not.

I'm sure some local councillors will try and take credit for it if it works!
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
2nd May 2012 at 8:53AM
Apparently it has reduced congestion through the village centre, or so I'm told. I guess people are avoiding it.

In a way that's a good thing for Poynton but we can't have everyone doing it. Pretty sure we wouldn't get away with it in Hazel Grove.
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
2nd May 2012 at 9:49AM, Edit: 2nd May 2012 at 9:56AM by Adora
People may be avoiding it but if they are, others are taking up their place because the usage numbers are up. The speed levels approaching on all four roads into Fountain Place are down. Here's the actuals:-

Police RTC data – injury and ‘damage only’ for (Aug 2010 – Mar 2012)

•          Injury stats in time frame: 37 for all Poynton post codes

•          In construction zone [gateways define the zone]: 9, of which 1 is classed as serious (see below for description)

•          Out of zone: 29 of which 6 are classed as serious

Or put another way, within the construction zone: 1 in 9 ratio for serious injury. In the remainder of Poynton: 1 in 4 ratio.

•          Damage stats: 153 RTC recorded by the Police across Poynton in the period - Only 13 in zone (discounting car parks)

The one serious injury within the zone reads as follows: “PEDESTRIAN CASUALTY PASSENGER ON BUS, ARRIVES AT STOP AND RUNS AROUND INFRONT OF THE BUS WITHOUT LOOKING INTO MAIN CARRIAGEWAY. VEHICLE 1 ONCOMING PASSING STATIONARY BUS COLLIDES WITH PEDESTRIAN.”

Poynton Councillors have dedicated over 5 years to the planning, fund raising and implementation of the revitalisation scheme. They organised funding via numerous sources, including Waitrose and they made it happen. It's big, bold, ambitious and took balls of steel and a MASSIVE (and I mean MASSIVE) amount of work and dedication. They haven't "got away" with anything. They made a plan which had to include the management of traffic because the traffic wasn't suddenly going to disappear - it was going to increase and they had to work with that because every idea to divert the traffic was a no-goer.

Hazel Grove is in desperate need of a huge face-lift and revitalisation programme itself. The only way anything even close to the size of the scheme in Poynton is going to happen here is if we get a full set of councillors willing to work together and willing to think big. Very big.

Oliver, Kevin, William - Talk to the councillors in Poynton. Talk to Laurence Clarke, Jos Saunders,Howard Murray, Gabor Bartos and Phil Hoyland

(contact details here: http://www.poyntontowncouncil.gov.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=30.

Ask them how they achieved it. They're a freakin' inspiration.

Think beyond free car parking to cure Hazel Grove. Free car parking in the Grove isn't revitalisation...it's like painting over chipped paintwork without bothering to sand down first! We need something much more radical but for that, we need councillors willing to think outside the box.

And before you harp on about the government spending cuts - there's money available from other sources but it takes some doing to get Hazel Grove's hands on it. Note, I have not said impossible, just difficult and challenging.
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
2nd May 2012 at 9:54AM
Drifter Wrote:

Shall we sue the council for all accidents that happen when there are road markings then too? Accidents happen at traffic lights, roundabouts, marked junctions, pelican crossings....
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
2nd May 2012 at 10:05AM
It would be a nice idea but there is no way we would be allowed to do that. Hazel Grove is a different kettle of fish to Poynton.

Plus I believe Poynton is allowed to do this as the village is a designated 'conservation' area. Correct me if I am wrong.
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
2nd May 2012 at 10:23AM, Edit: 2nd May 2012 at 10:27AM by Adora
Oliver, Hazel Grove isn't a naughty child. It's not a case of not being "allowed". The Poynton scheme is based on the principles of shared space. This may not be right for Hazel Grove (I think we could have a similar scheme and it would work but the experts would have to verify that).

The point is, Hazel Grove needs revitalising somehow. It needs future-proofing as well. The infrastructure, roads, pavements, look of the place is grubby and tatty. The pavements on the main drag are too narrow and the 'shopping experience' is mean and miserable. Hazel Grove could be made to look 1000 times more attractive but it's a huge undertaking. It can be done. It should be done. But whilst councillors think in terms of what they are "allowed" or not allowed to do, nothing will happen.

And I kind of agree with Limecat here - Hazel Grove is not some quaint little village - it's a working suburb which accommodates thousands of vehicles a day and the new road isn't going to magically cure all of that BUT that doesn't mean we should just let it get ever more tatty and mean looking.

Please, please, please talk to the Poynton guys. I'll set up a meeting if you like. Listen to how they achieved it, the hoops they had to jump through, the time it took, the heart-ache, the frustrations, the good stuff as well. Oliver, you have a dog right? I'll set you up on a dog walk with one of the key councillors involved - take a walk with him and listen. Listen, listen, listen and then re-think your view on this. Same invite to Kevin. Just let me know and I'll set it up.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>