10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

sundave
Townsperson

sundave
Re: Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
23rd December 2011 at 2:40PM
Limecat, pretty block paving costs on average five times as much as macadum and has less than half the life = waste of money.
There is enough room on all the roundabout exits to move crossings at least three car lengths back thereby allowing greater freedom of traffic movement.
Ignorance is born out of bliss!
Bliss is 35yrs in the construction industry.
Pipe, Smoke, You!!!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Limecat
Banned
23rd December 2011 at 8:40PM
sundave Wrote:

Limecat, pretty block paving costs on average five times as much as macadum and has less than half the life = waste of money.
There is enough room on all the roundabout exits to move crossings at least three car lengths back thereby allowing greater freedom of traffic movement.
Ignorance is born out of bliss!
Bliss is 35yrs in the construction industry.
Pipe, Smoke, You!!!!!

I suppose that first part is subjective then? If I lived in Poynton I would want the aesthetics as well to be honest. This is a place that was up for or won something like 'cleanest village in England' or something about a decade ago didn't it? So in that respect looks are important to them so the cost can be justified. If it was Brinnington I would agree with you 100% by the way.

Cost isn't King on EVERYTHING. I bet you don't buy Tesco own brand EVERYTHING do you?   

35 years in the construction industry? I thought you were a previous publican of the Rising Sun hence the username? Either way, construction isn't planning. The architects and designers get the big monies, the brickies and the labourers get whats left... (Please don't take offence to that, it's merely an analogy!)
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
24th December 2011 at 1:01AM
Started work at 14, i'm 58 next week, we can't all do the same job all our lives.
Waste of money is quantative, you can have aesthetically pleasing road finishes with other products that don't cost the earth and stand the test of time, or even the test of 40ft triple axle artics scrubbing their tyres as they turn round the pretty block paving roundabouts.
There was a similar project in Oxford in the early 80s, it lasted about 2yrs, they replaced the coloured setts with over sized granite setts that cost about the same, they were dug up in 2002 when they changed the road system and built the DNA research unit, at the time the road still looked and performed as well as when it was first laid.
I really hope my doubts are unfounded and the junction does stand the test of time, but!!!!!!
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
26th December 2011 at 1:52PM
because of the comments on here I tried it out last week.
Glad its not in Stockport or someone would be looking for a new job
probably ok for a small estate road but dealy for a main road. went through and back and nearly got hit both ways.
Either mark it out properley or get rid
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
28th December 2011 at 9:18PM
Went down to "More-Reasons'" for the first post-Yule shop, and encountered the new "shared space" junction at Fountain Square for the first time.

Verdict: not too bad - certainly more positive than Kevin's. Early days yet, as the work's not finished, and the single-lane access to the intersection seemed to force us all to approach the junction cautiously. It may be different when the work's done and there's clear access right up to the intersection, as everyone may speed up.

But - probably prompted by the novelty of an "A" road suddenly turning into something that at first appearance looks more like a pedestrian precinct - everyone was proceeding cautiously, reading other road users' behaviour (both wheeled and shod!) and being distinctly polite and reasonable.And no queues in either direction: but then it was 12:30/1:00 pm-ish.

So far, so good. I think it's an interesting idea, and an experiment worth, at the least, a trial run.
TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
29th December 2011 at 1:35PM
I'm not so sure, tried it out a few times day/night over the last week and one of my major criticisms would be the lack of markings. I realise it was only a temporary opening for the festive period and I hope it has highlighted a few key area's which need improvement. Before I have to give way to a dog as the sign suggests...
alty323
Idler

alty323
1st January 2012 at 3:46PM, Edit: 1st January 2012 at 8:04PM by alty323
What a waste off taxpayers money, the council got rid off a perfectly good set off working traffic lights, the architects want the sack, as do the councillors that passed the works off.!!
I pass through this village every day to be faced with this deadly road scheme layout, the department of transport should be informed of this awful mess

Iv been classed as the village drunk but never touch the stuff !!! unlike the people who invented this massive waste of public money....   YOUR MONEY !!! I would sack the lot off the planning dept ,and convert it back to the near original plan as before WITH TRAFFIC LIGHTS ,where at least there was less chance off anybody being involved in an serious accident, by god it hasn't even snowed yet and you cant see where   your going already not to mention the hassle a HGV driver faces on these two so called mini roundabouts , and thats not to metion the awful mess youve made further up the road at dickens lane with the other stupid and dangerous   mini roundabout which has already had the brick bus shelter taken out by one off the dozen or so accidents ,and now by two cars while negotiating the junction only to be replaced by a wooden seat for public use !!!!

what a joke equal rights for pedestrians and cars on a busy   main road !!!!

whats the world coming too, is it any wonder why businesses are losing vital income.

nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
1st January 2012 at 10:48PM
Thanks for that rant Village Drunk. FYI there have as yet been no accidents at Fountain Place.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Glen
Drifter
1st January 2012 at 11:06PM
Hi guys
I drove through there tonight when it was dark and saw the first big round a bout no probs but carried on driving over the second and didn't realise untill Id driven straight over it then when I came back the other way later I approached with caution as I knew it was there but everyone seemed hesitant to go which I suppose could stop potential accidents but on the other hand I can easily see people getting run over if the crossing will be right at the give way point for cars and the other thing will be idiots like myself! Driving straight over that centre bit that needs to be painted so it stands out!
Personally I just think its caused a lot of traffic for something that looks nice but that's about it, the downside I'd say is cost?,will it actually make traffic any better?,could it cause collisions as at the mo nothing's marked out in fact it's not even obvious where the pavement starts and where the road ends!, finally could the money-our public tax payers money be spent on actually trying to fill some rough potholes in instead of basically laying bricks down on the rd like from old times, and I do agree with the other poster about big wagons tearing up these bricks which will happen eventually as none of our British rds are built properly!
Can't wait untill they have to take them back up to sort a gas pipe or water pipe out!!
Seriously though if this is the government cutting back on none essentials then why not make it a yellow brick rd!!
alty323
Idler

alty323
2nd January 2012 at 11:37AM, Edit: 2nd January 2012 at 11:45AM by alty323
Maybe not but FYI the bus shelter has been taken out further up the road AT DICKENS LANE by just one accident recently involving two cars,and that is only half the mess unlike the end off park lane , whos too say this wont be repeated at the fountain place /park lane    instead of a bus shelter   it would be a group off old ladies or young children trying to cross the road !!
im sorry you think im ranting on but if nothing is said nobody will know and nothing more will get done about it IM SPEAKING FOR THE WHOLE OFF CHESHIRE that has to use this awful, stupid, road layout. will some one listen !!! il be shopping elsewhere and defiantly not using any services in and around poynton keep up the good work in ruining the place .
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>