10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
21st December 2011 at 5:52PM

Anyone on here had a go through the new Fountain Place junction at Poynton yet? The traffic lights and road works are gone for now, so it's an opportunity to understand how the new road layout will work when it's all finished. Lights are back on Jan 3rd 2012 unfortunately but hopefully, not for too long.

Any views on the scheme?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
Re: Poynton road scheme - tried it yet?
21st December 2011 at 6:18PM, Edit: 21st December 2011 at 6:14PM by RichT
I tried it today, There is one good thing and that is the traffic seems to flow! but it will after so many months of gridlock!
In the dark this morning drivers seemed very unsure what to do, when you come from HG and are on the the first roundabout you have to stop and giveway to those coming from Wooodford obn the second roundabout. The car in front of me just drove straight over the top of both roundabouts totaly ignoring them.
The surface is very smooth and slippy when wet so motorcyclists are at greater risk!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
local
Drifter
21st December 2011 at 6:36PM
I tried it last week; quite a few people I work with come through it daily and have reported numerous accidents as nobody really knows how to use it
The markings are quite difficult to see at night and look like they are made out of “Sure grip” rather than the usual white markings for mini roundabouts.

Time will tell, I wouldn’t be surprised if after 12 months its replaced by either lights or just a single roundabout
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
21st December 2011 at 6:37PM

There has been some talk of them making the rotaries more prominent, Rich. The larger of the two will have a big jet of water coming out of it soon (fountain).
Drifter
21st December 2011 at 8:09PM
Adora Wrote:

Anyone on here had a go through the new Fountain Place junction at Poynton yet? The traffic lights and road works are gone for now, so it's an opportunity to understand how the new road layout will work when it's all finished. Lights are back on Jan 3rd 2012 unfortunately but hopefully, not for too long.

Any views on the scheme?

Hello Adora, what are your views on the scheme?
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
21st December 2011 at 8:22PM, Edit: 21st December 2011 at 8:17PM by JohnEllis
I read through the posts on this topic on the Poynton Forum, and most people seem to be cautiously positive about the scheme, willing to see how it works out, and inclined to be optimistic, once everything's in place and people have got used to the new arrangement.

Given the number of pessimists and critical folk who post on there - dare I say that they seem to be more readily narked than we Grovers are?! - that's surely a good sign! Having said that, I've not been that way since the lights were removed, so I've not been able to judge it for myself.
nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
21st December 2011 at 10:02PM, Edit: 21st December 2011 at 10:00PM by nedsram
I've negotiated Fountain Place several times now - both by car and on foot. No problems in a car, but as a pedestrian, I find that most drivers haven't yet come to grips with the idea that they have equal priority. Having said that, it's early days, and the signage isn't yet in place. I'm optimistic that when it's complete and people get used to it, it will be a success.

As for the forum you refer to, the membership is not representative, and therefore it would be unwise to draw any conclusions about the general opinion from what is posted there. There is a small hard core of "over my dead body" people there who seem to be looking for any reason to rubbish the whole thing.
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
22nd December 2011 at 1:12PM
What a total waste of money that is! considering the amount of HGVs that use London Rd i can't see the pretty block paving lasting very long and it's obvious they used the same design team as Bramhall village and just doubled it.
For gods sake, where is the logic in putting pedestrian crossings at the exit from a roundabout?
Witnessed this morning a local female with children in tow just walking out onto "crossing" without looking, right into the path of the deadliest thing on the road, " a volvo driver with a cloth cap on" who by the way had driven across the roundabout and then turned left on the wrong side in front of oncoming traffic, a disaster waiting to happen and when it does, i hope the designers get both barrels right up their well upholstered behinds.
Rant over (or is it?)
Limecat
Banned
22nd December 2011 at 9:20PM
sundave Wrote:

What a total waste of money that is! considering the amount of HGVs that use London Rd i can't see the pretty block paving lasting very long and it's obvious they used the same design team as Bramhall village and just doubled it.
For gods sake, where is the logic in putting pedestrian crossings at the exit from a roundabout?
Witnessed this morning a local female with children in tow just walking out onto "crossing" without looking, right into the path of the deadliest thing on the road, " a volvo driver with a cloth cap on" who by the way had driven across the roundabout and then turned left on the wrong side in front of oncoming traffic, a disaster waiting to happen and when it does, i hope the designers get both barrels right up their well upholstered behinds.
Rant over (or is it?)

A bit of an ignorant point of view TBH.

Traffic measures are very well researched and modelled. If it didn't offer an improvement then it would not go ahead, it IS that simple. Roadworks cost money. So is an improvement a waste of money? No.

I often used to have to sit in traffic about 8-10 years ago due to the lights at Poynton junction and it would take me an hour + to get to Macclesfield dependant upon time.

Where is the logic in pedestrian crossings by roundabouts? Strangely it is about pedestrian safety as it's human nature to want to take the shortest route. Roads have pavements, roundabouts connect roads. Simple.

I also strongly suspect that the road designers took account of HGV's. Maybe it's just me not being a Grover that is jealous of Poynton though?
Goofball
Drifter
23rd December 2011 at 8:58AM
Ive heard that someone has been run over already on the roundabout, it could be a rumour though. Time will tell if it will work or not. I just don't agree with the way it was implemented. For example building the small roundabout while introducing the tempory traffic lights to the crossing. This meant the the traffic often backed up over the small roundabout and if you were traveling from macc you'd have to give way to the building traffic to the right of the roundabout, this made for a very long and annoying trip home. Also why remove the tempory traffic lights when the fountain roundabout isnt completed yet, leaving it very confusing as instead of a visible roundabout you have small marking on the ground.

Probably a good idea / bad implementation.
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
23rd December 2011 at 9:49AM, Edit: 23rd December 2011 at 9:44AM by Adora
Nobody has been run over. An elderly person collapsed and was taken to hospital by ambulance. The incident had nothing to do with the new scheme.

There have been no REPORTED bumps or crashes. Nothing.

The CCTV control room (based in Macclesfield) have not witnessed any unreported bumps or crashes.

The average speed of approach to the junction has dropped to below 25mph.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>