Portas Pilot

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>

GillB
Townsperson

GillB
Re: Portas Pilot
29th May 2012 at 11:24AM, Edit: 29th May 2012 at 11:25AM by GillB
Belvoir Wrote:

In my opinion Stockport buried its greatest asset under concrete!!

The source of the River Mersey!!

If the River Mersey is an asset, how could we utilise it?

And in the context of the thread, how could it be used to boost the businesses in Stockport?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jack the Ripper
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 5:17PM
What does it matter where the source of the River Mersey is?

The important point is that Stockport's best feature (the river) is covered over by concrete. Typical Stockport if you ask me.
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
29th May 2012 at 5:33PM
There are many things that could be done ! cafe's / bars /gardens / seating along side it Ducks and swans may use it..Therefor making it a nice enviroment for people to visit..
When I am on my travels places look so much more attractive when there is a stream / river or lake.
sundave
Townsperson

sundave
29th May 2012 at 6:15PM
Drifter Wrote:

sundave Wrote:

Look out "Expert" seems like you're not the only expert in the village!

Google Mary Portas and check out her credentials before you call people names, she appears to be more of an "Expert" than perhaps you might be!

Isn't this money being used by a team to work out how to help Stockport get well again, i heard on the radio today that the council is matching the 100k and that Mary Portas is advising them on consumer and marketing trends.

Oliver! for once i fully agree with you, something should be done with the empty offices, why can't the rent and rates be reduced so that companies can afford them, must be better than no rent at all......

OK - I've read her credentials and, from what I can see, she doesn't appear to have any formal qualifications; let alone any relevant to her being able to advise in a professional capacity. I don't think being a "celebrity" counts!

As for me, I have a post-graduate diploma in urban and regional planing so I'll leave it for you to decide who is most the qualified to comment.

Not knocking your qualifications Expert but, i fail to see what urban and regional "planing" (cruel i know but i had to do it) has to do with selling a town centre to the public, this lady is coming here to show the team how branding and merchandising can move things forward, and encourage people to shop in Stockport, rather than Manchester or the Trafford Centre.

If you look at what she did for Harvey Nichols in just a few years, then she may be exactly what the town needs.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
29th May 2012 at 6:52PM
Its not for Merseyway, its for Underbank (has it not just burnt down?) and the Market
HG-21
Banned
29th May 2012 at 9:47PM
Belvoir Wrote:

Ducks and swans may use it..

That made me laugh - you're not wrong. Just a random comment.
Expert
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 10:02PM
Sorry Sundave, I don't have a qualification, or claim expertise, in typing!

I'm sorry you don't see it but planning has an awful lot to do with creating a healthy retail environment; evidenced by the regular release of retail planning guidance to local authorities by central government over many years.

I could enlarge on what the particular problems are in Stockport are likely to be but don't intend to do so as (i) it would probably upset some people and (ii) it is ar too complicated for discussion in a forum such as this.
Limecat
Banned
29th May 2012 at 11:03PM, Edit: 29th May 2012 at 11:04PM by Limecat
LMFAO @ this thread.

I am with Sundave. A degree without experience is worth far less than finishing high school and being proven to be the top in your field.

For what it's worth, the high street is dead. Sod driving to the shop and paying a premium for a product (assuming I can park for free) when it is easier to buy it online and it's delivered free (no petrol).

As for the thought that the river is a selling point for Stockport? Have you heard yourselves? It's a MINGING, stinking stream of putrid bile.

You can go to places like Congleton which is local, pay 40+ for a pub lunch (trust me, I did last Sunday) and see CLEAR rivers.

Why the hell would you want to sit next to a minging river in Stockport filled with tyres and shopping trolleys whilst those spending are on benefits or those that aren't are stealing anything that isn't nailed down?
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
29th May 2012 at 11:23PM
The Mersey has been cleaned up over the years and as such I believe salmon have been seen in it. I'm sure it was close to Stockport but its late and I couldn't be ar5ed to google the info ;-)

What amazes me about Stockport Council is how it doesn't even attempt to promote/live off the number of high profile people that have come from the stockport area. Even Joan Bakewell tweeted about Stockport getting the money.

Expert - you need to put up or shut up. Don't hide behind upsetting people, that's real life and as for hiding behind 'its too complicated to discuss on this forum' then if you really were educated enough you could explain at a high level.

Clearly, I expect you to shut up!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th May 2012 at 11:28PM
I got to ask, who is Joan Blackwell?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >>