10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and Ride

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
Re: Park and Ride
29th May 2012 at 2:06PM
But dearer, slower, more inconvenient, less reliable, and all in all a much worse experience than driving!

I know the roads are busy and parking can be a pain but British public transport is very expensive and very low quality!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jeff
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 10:45PM
I read that it's going to cost 3mill for the scheme to go ahead in the Stockport express, surely that's for extra buses and not just to make a carpark?
I hope it's all bricked and pretty with roundabouts that aren't marked out or no kerbs so u don't know if your on the road or kerb just like poynton got!!!
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th May 2012 at 10:55PM
Weirdly isn't that the same amount the poynton scheme cost?

Does sound steep for a few tons of tarmac!
Limecat
Banned
29th May 2012 at 11:20PM
Coleman Wrote:

But dearer, slower, more inconvenient, less reliable, and all in all a much worse experience than driving!

I know the roads are busy and parking can be a pain but British public transport is very expensive and very low quality!

That is singularly the most IGNORANT post I have read on a forum since I first found the Internet.

I genuinely mean that.

For where I commute to, it hits the nail on the head. If I had to commute and park in the City Centre (*cough* fees) and drove a tired old banger then that's the most stupid post since time began.

It would be cheaper by train in that circumstance.
It would be faster by train in that circumstance.
It would be more convenient due to time/money and directness in a train in that circumstance.
It would be more reliable in that circumstance.
It would be a better experience if you do not like sitting in traffic.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
29th May 2012 at 11:27PM
Drifter Wrote:

I read that it's going to cost 3mill for the scheme to go ahead in the Stockport express, surely that's for extra buses and not just to make a carpark?
I hope it's all bricked and pretty with roundabouts that aren't marked out or no kerbs so u don't know if your on the road or kerb just like poynton got!!!

I hope you're taking the p1ss with that price! I expect a councillor to give a breakdown on the costs before they line there pockets. Perhaps they have awarded the contract to SK Solutions.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th May 2012 at 11:47PM
Now hang on a second limecat,

If you a trip to Blackpool as an example, the fare cost more then the fuel to drive does and a couple of hours parking making it dearer especially it there is more than one person going
The trains only run at certain times so you have to set off and return at those particular times making it less Convenient.
The route the train takes the fact you have to get to and from the stations and the fact it stops regularly means the one time I drove there whilst some friends took the train (too many to fit in the can and they were staying over anyway) we got there first making it slower.

As for the reliability point, many years ago I used to take the train to altrinkham for ice hockey training, and there were regular occurrences of the train being cancelled, late or on one occasion breaking down halfway there! I believe based on regular travel reports on the radio that this sort of thing is still common!
Limecat
Banned
29th May 2012 at 11:54PM
Coleman Wrote:

Now hang on a second limecat,

If you a trip to Blackpool as an example, the fare cost more then the fuel to drive does and a couple of hours parking making it dearer especially it there is more than one person going
The trains only run at certain times so you have to set off and return at those particular times making it less Convenient.
The route the train takes the fact you have to get to and from the stations and the fact it stops regularly means the one time I drove there whilst some friends took the train (too many to fit in the can and they were staying over anyway) we got there first making it slower.

As for the reliability point, many years ago I used to take the train to altrinkham for ice hockey training, and there were regular occurrences of the train being cancelled, late or on one occasion breaking down halfway there! I believe based on regular travel reports on the radio that this sort of thing is still common!

We are singing from the same hymn sheet in a way?

I clearly said it's specific to circumstances.

I have NEVER been on a train that's been late though, probably only been on 50 or so though and never at winter.
Drifter
30th May 2012 at 12:11AM
Keep Blackpool out of this. (But I assume you know how to reduce costs using split tickets??)   We're talking about local park& ride /commute HG to Stepping Hill, Stockpot & Manchester.

I've spent the last 45 years travelling by train all over Manchester.   Compared to its worst at the end of the BR run down, the railway is light years away from the bug-carts of those years which did break down, run late, not turn up all the time.

And in most cicumstances beat the car by a margin of 5 mins per hour travel point to point.

Train reliabilty I meet maybe once every 200 trips these days which is low.

Trains run to time and if not, communications is a lot better than it was 10 years ago about what is going on when on the platforms.

Extra passenger capacity is apparent around Manchester since the extra 1,000 carrriage unit were made available to franchise holders last year.

Northern (our H.G. operator) have spruced up their act over the last 2 to 3 years but still have a way to go but they are making the effort. Peak times needs more but rolling stock is still not available despite the extra 1,000 UK wide increase in rolling stock capacity.

There are now two ways at least to get to Altrincham. Train and it runs for me when I use it or use the trams.

Expense. Off peak rail travel is no more than the GM Day Rail Ranger ticket. 4.60 for the day - any GM rail station or evenings at 2.30, so thats costs capped. Slightly cheaper if you do Station to station tickets.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
30th May 2012 at 12:42AM
I spent several years working in central M/cr and the train was an obvious choice baring in mind it would take twice the time by car then I would have to pay at least a fiver a day to park (this was 10+ years ago).

Every time I go into town now (usually at w/e with the family or evenings on the p1ss) I have to question the price as it seems so low - less than a tenner for 2 adults and 2 kids, return! or cheaper for return than a single back on the loony bus (192)

Rob
Drifter
30th May 2012 at 12:56PM
You are literally a tool, please stfu now.
I commute every single day to the city centre, the bus from Hazel Grove takes nearly at least 1hr 30mins to get to Piccadilly from Hazel Grove.
The A6 is a disaster, this money would be better spent on the bypass.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..