Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and Ride

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Drifter
Re: Park and Ride
25th May 2012 at 9:51PM
Would have been better opening up the old Hazel Grove railway station on the Midland Line. Much quicker to Stockport on the train and cheaper too at 1.80 return.

All the Preston train has to do from its siding at Stepping Hill is go round the H.G. curve, upto the old platforms, driver change ends and 5 mins later its away. So it won't be in the way of the Sheffield & East Midland expresses as its already got a timing to travel in from the existing Hazel Grove Station.

And Stepping Hill people can get off at Woodsmoor and follow the footpath signs to the Hospital.

Doesn't need a ticket office. The Northern Guard can do that.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Drifter
25th May 2012 at 10:30PM
Hazel Grove has seven council owned car parks,with a total of 244 spaces.
The station has 330 spaces approx.
Sainsbury has 450 spaces.
A total of 1024 car parking spaces.
Not including Asda,where you can park for a couple of hours for free,as you can at Sainsbury.
The council car parks are not free,but,30p even in these
days of austerity ain't bad.
To improve the consumers shopping experience in Hazel Grove we need better shops.Hold on, we once had good shops,but Mr Sainsbury killed them all.Although he did give us extra parking.
What's needed to really improve the shopping experience on Hazel Grove is not more parking, but less traffic,but hold on,it's got the A6 running straight through it.The most congested A road in Europe.So what can be done.Who shouted for Mr Tesco? Is that called blue sky thinking?Beam me up Scotty!!
William_Wragg
Hazel Grove MP

William_Wragg
26th May 2012 at 12:05PM
Robot69 Wrote:

William_Wragg Wrote:

I can't say I'm enthusiastic for it. The land could be better developed for either commercial, retail or residential purposes- it's a brown field site after all.

The vast majority of residents who have mentioned it to me have been sceptical or opposed to it.

I thought Tesco's owned it in the hope they could build a store on it.

Retail, can't attract anyting into the Grove to start with in the existing property.

Housing, hmmmm, someone owns the land and is obviously asking a huge price to prevent it happening.

How about a travellers site ?

The land earmarked for the park and ride is publicly owned. The Gordon Ford site is owned by a company, I think, on behalf of Tescos.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
28th May 2012 at 9:42AM
What would be the point in rebuilding the old Midland line station? An entire new station would need to be built and modern signalling added etc. it would cost a fortune and what for? HG already has a station so why would it need a second?

If there is enough demand for trains then surely the operators will simple add a carriage to the existing train services.

As for the car parking, of the spaces mentioned, the majority (Sainsburys and Asda) are meant for the supermarkets customers and are in fact usually well used. It's not uncommon to have to park at the far reaches of both car parks. And of the council owned car parks, half are virtually hidden, or at least not well known. Plus if there were just a handful of decent shops here, the custom it could potentially bring would fill them no problem. since most are 1-2 3rds full most days already!
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
28th May 2012 at 12:07PM
I am generally in favour of this providing the entrances are off Melford Rd for Macclesfield/Poynton drivers and directly off the A6 for Buxton/High lane drivers.
I have seen the first proposals and they are horrendous as the entrance/exit is on Tannock Road
and in that form is unnaceptable to local residents. They are in favour of the scheme if the entrance remains off the A6 but to get in and out of thesmall estate behind the Police station is a nightmare now, so after this comes no one will be going anywhere.
ZZippy
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 12:11AM
Coleman Wrote:

If there is enough demand for trains then surely the operators will simple add a carriage to the existing train services.

That is the best laugh i've had in ages, You've heard of "The Flying Scotsman" how about "The Sardine Sandwich" for rush hour travel from the grove.

Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th May 2012 at 9:32AM
Are you saying that there is demand but the operator isn't doing anything to satisfy it?

I don't know personally, the only time i got a train in the last decade is to go and watch county a few weeks ago, and i must admit it was over full then!

I tend to drive like most, it's cheaper, more reliable, faster and more comfortable then public transport! Which is probably going to be the biggest issue that the park and ride will have to over come!

How can you make the 192 buses that will service it faster, more reliable, more comfortable and cheaper?
Dave
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 11:16AM
Coleman Wrote:

Are you saying that there is demand but the operator isn't doing anything to satisfy it?

Unfortunately, the operator does not have a huge amount of say in how they satisfy demand. The Department for Transport specifies how many trains an operator will have (trains these days are of a fixed length, normally two or three coaches, and if a longer train is needed then two trains will be coupled together) and that does not always bear much relation to demand. It is then down to the operator to decide how they are utilised to cover the services they are committed to operating.

The problem is that if a particular service needs to be lengthened because it is always overcrowded, it is not as simple as just attaching an extra coach because there normally is not a spare train available.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th May 2012 at 12:41PM
What a strange way of working things! Makes you wonder why these things can't be done in a sensible and practical way.

Oh well maybe the park and ride will be a huge success and will take a chunk of the load from the rail network!

I'd be surprised, but you never know!

TBH i'm surprised so many people chose to use a train in the first place!
Drifter
29th May 2012 at 1:51PM
Because its cheaper and quicker than the buses. No brainer for some people.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..