Park and Ride

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Park and Ride
25th May 2012 at 10:58AM
M.E.N

I think is the half empty busses on the A6 that cause half the issue, now there are going to be more of them
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Martinsbo
Villager

Martinsbo
Re: Park and Ride
25th May 2012 at 12:30PM
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1531907_stockport-to-see-greater-manchesters-first-park-and-ride-scheme-to-cut-a6-congestion
Another White Elephant backed by Stunnell, i gave up using the 192 to Manchester it's nearly a hour long journey, is this all they can come up with!!Fib Dems you suck...Oldham gets tram service we get this!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
GillB
Townsperson

GillB
25th May 2012 at 1:10PM, Edit: 25th May 2012 at 1:17PM by GillB
There was a thread about this here a while back. *edit* Found it here

Though I agree, the empty buses that park up at a bus stop with the driver reading the paper, blocking one lane of the A6, cannot be doing much good for congestion.

I noticed quite a few years ago a lot of the bus stops had a lane for them to park in, these have now been removed and the bus stop is in the actual road.

It seems somebody is doing everything they can to make the A6 as worse as bad as possible, including the above, there is also the shockingly high volume of traffic lights. Especially bad between Commercial Road and Sainsbury's.
Bus User
Drifter
25th May 2012 at 4:11PM
I cant see many people wanting to wait in traffic to get to the park and ride and then sit in traffic for an hour on a hot (usually smelly) bus when the car journey takes less time.

I don't drive and even i don't get the 192 from HG to MCR! I get the train - quicker and easier!

Yes there is a 192 every nano second but that doesn't mean the journey will be any nicer! And the drivers will still have to pay for parking and then the bus won't they?
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
25th May 2012 at 4:21PM
According to the story, parking will be free and the bus will be the regular (expensive) price!

I think it may well just end up being a nice free car park for HG which i think would be a good thing. There is a chance people would come here to shop if they can park up (for free) at one end and then just either walk along or take a bus along the A6! We would just need to attract a few decent shops then!
slim
Townsperson

slim
25th May 2012 at 4:29PM
there going to use the existing bus service for the scheme so wont be any extra buses. but really would i drive through the grove park up and then get on a bus that takes an hour to get to manchester no i wouldn't if i used a bus i would just walk to the nearest bus stop. how about clearing great moor of all the parked cars and how often do you drive through the grove to see a courier parked on the A6. andrew stunnel is backing this well he would he doesn't have to contend with the A6 on a daily basis i doubt he visits hazel grove that often.
William_Wragg
Hazel Grove MP

William_Wragg
25th May 2012 at 8:18PM
I can't say I'm enthusiastic for it. The land could be better developed for either commercial, retail or residential purposes- it's a brown field site after all.

The vast majority of residents who have mentioned it to me have been sceptical or opposed to it.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
25th May 2012 at 8:22PM
I'm really missing something here. Why would I park up my car then get a bus into either Stockport or Manchester that has to navigate all the speed dips on the A6 (pot holes!) and rattle you about rather than going across the road and getting on a train that gets you there in half the time.

I suspect this could be a plan to show how poor the roads are into M/cr and promote the train. For me, I already know the train is quite good into M/cr and the 192 is only useful when I'm a little newt (p1ssed as) and want to get home at 3am (doesn't happen often these days!)

I'd like to see the business case for this as I don't get it.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
25th May 2012 at 8:25PM
William_Wragg Wrote:

I can't say I'm enthusiastic for it. The land could be better developed for either commercial, retail or residential purposes- it's a brown field site after all.

The vast majority of residents who have mentioned it to me have been sceptical or opposed to it.

I thought Tesco's owned it in the hope they could build a store on it.

Retail, can't attract anyting into the Grove to start with in the existing property.

Housing, hmmmm, someone owns the land and is obviously asking a huge price to prevent it happening.

How about a travellers site ?
Silenzi
Townsperson

Silenzi
25th May 2012 at 9:32PM
Last time I took the 192 to work it took forever, wasn't cheap and there was someone smoking cannabis on the top deck (at 8 in the morning). Not doing that again.

If you've driven to Hazel Grove, why would you park up, get out, wait for a bus and then take your life in your hands on the 192? You'd just carry on driving, surely?
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
25th May 2012 at 9:50PM
Totally agree as a park and ride for Stockport or Manchester it doesn't make sense, but it could be useful for the hospital. I.e. Staff could be instructed to use it and free up plenty of extra visitor spaces or visitors could use it to save having to find a spot and pay the extortionate prices they charge in the hospital car parks!

I also think with the right promotion and some effort from the council, it could be a useful tool for attracting shops to hazel grove. Plentiful free parking is an attractive prospect for shoppers, and if the area became attractive to shoppers then the shops will find it attractive!
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Part of..