Park and ride 192 buses

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
29th October 2015 at 8:44AM
thealastairw Wrote:

Due to daytime parking restrictions on my street (Hazelwood),I have been using the P&R every day for the last week or so. I see the same cars most days, so there are some regulars, but there are noticeably fewer this week, presumably because of half term.

Such a shame. Lots of missed opportunities if only.....

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
7th November 2015 at 12:20AM, Edit: 7th November 2015 at 12:23AM by Norma_Stitts
Serenity Wrote:

Coleman Wrote:

Serenity Wrote:

Coleman Wrote:

Was it ever promoted as a solution to reduce traffic? i'm not sure anyone actually directly involved with it ever made that claim.
I can't imagine a couple/few hundred parking spots would make much difference with the number of cars that travel the a6 every day. is that not just a drop in the ocean?

As far as I can see yes it was promoted as a solution to reduce traffic Coleman. 6,000 car a month is a lot of cars.   
Christopher Bowles, Stagecoach Manchester managing director, said “In the long term, this Park & Ride will also relieve the region’s roads of an estimated 6,000 cars per month, helping us to significantly reduce the level of carbon emissions in the local area.”

I stand corrected, hadn't heard or read any comments making these claims.

Its a little stupid to say that really.
6000 cars a month may sound like plenty but i bet it only equates to a couple of percent of the total amount of cars that travel the a6. Even if they achieve the numbers quoted it's hardly going to make a dent.

My hopes for the scheme have always been as a way to relieve parking issues, i think it could still make a real difference there if efforts are made.

I'm not big on percentages Coleman. But I don't think its stupid to say that 6,000 cars whilst might be a drop in the ocean are better than nothing. The trouble with headlines are that they always sound great. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/park-ride-hazel-grove-opens-9560401

I too thought that this car park was built to benefit the Grove but the more I see the less I think it was.

It's not even a couple of fractions of a percent! LOL. 6000 cars a month equates to 8.2 an hour. A fart in the wind really. Especially with false data as it's not 6000 individual cars, it's 6000 car journeys.

On that basis, let's assume their numbers were based purely on weekdays? They were expecting about 300 cars a day to use the facility.

I'd rather walk everywhere naked and in bare foot whilst being pelted with rocks than give up my car and get on a filthy bus with a load of random weirdos.

Just thinking about getting on a bus makes my skin crawl.

*Going for a shower!*
0 Likes 2 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
8th November 2015 at 2:50PM
Clearly Norma hasn't been on a bus recently! Clean, quiet, free WiFi, what's not to like?
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
11th November 2015 at 1:06PM
thealastairw Wrote:

Clearly Norma hasn't been on a bus recently! Clean, quiet, free WiFi, what's not to like?

the other passengers
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
11th November 2015 at 6:00PM
Speaking as 'one of the other passengers' if you want the vehicle to yourself then car is your choice. But I save £30 a month plus by sharing my journey to work with 50 or so like minded people. Its usually quicker than driving too.
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
12th November 2015 at 3:16PM
meh i dont care i dont go to work via the a6, infact there is no traffic on my way to work its plain sailing all the way. Takes me 35mins to do my 17 mile stress free commute.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
12th November 2015 at 9:17PM
hellonpluto Wrote:

meh i dont care i dont go to work via the a6, infact there is no traffic on my way to work its plain sailing all the way. Takes me 35mins to do my 17 mile stress free commute.

Same here HelenPunto.

I'm averaging 57.5 MPG, my road tax is free and my insurance is £262 fully comp for the year (have 6 points in recognition of my pace and ability to 'attack an apex' LOL) so even if the bus was free I wouldn't get out of my car.

Hell, if you paid me, gave me a clothes peg for my nose and made bus users bathe daily you still wouldn't get me on a bus.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..