10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and ride 192 buses

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
29th September 2015 at 8:03AM
I rest my case Jenny. Think Coleman said that if nothing else it'll clean up a bit of untidy land and that it's definitely done.

Your right Jenny it's a business purely hell bent on making money. But as it stands now it can't be making any money left empty all day. I'm sure that stagecoach must have some other plans in mind for it.

However at the moment it's just like a glorified waiting room. I know that you keep saying that its a business but it's not exactly enticing customers to come in and use it is it Jenny. An advert here and a sign there isn't really working is it.

Is it down to bad marketing that's to blame or poor planning or perhaps was it just a great PR scope at the time. Who knows but apart from tiding up that bit of the Grove it's certainly not doing much else. It's certainly not delivering it's promise to reduce traffic and pollution along the A6 as it stands at the moment Jenny.

Give it time thought Jenny lets say in another few months the numbers might have increased to perhaps a whopping 20...And those will probably be from staff cars...

Lets see what the future brings Jenny, I'd love to be proved wrong as I live near the main road and any improvement to reduce traffic along the A^ would be great. But at the moment I feel that it's a complete waste of premium land and free car parking spaces that are desperately needed in the Grove.

Hence why I keep going on about a subsidised bus shuttle service which goes to and from the hospital taking in the station as well. Call the service a lost leader so to speak - at least until the word gets out and more people know its there and start to use it.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th September 2015 at 11:52AM
Was it ever promoted as a solution to reduce traffic? i'm not sure anyone actually directly involved with it ever made that claim.

I can't imagine a couple/few hundred parking spots would make much difference with the number of cars that travel the a6 every day. is that not just a drop in the ocean?

As someone who only passes it every few days, i must admit, i have witnessed very slow but steady increases in the numbers using it. It's certainly not setting the world alight with its popularity but it is improving.

I do agree that some form of metro shuttle serving the hospital via the station would really boost numbers. Assuming it was funded/priced correctly. And as i have mentioned before the hospital could very easily fix two problems with one action, remove staff parking on site freeing up the space for visitors, give staff instructions to use the park and ride and do a deal so they can have their bus fares covered for the same price they pay to use the staff car parking at present.

If they did that, there is 100+ (total guess) extra spaces within the hospital for visitors and 100+ extra people using the park and ride.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
29th September 2015 at 12:55PM
Now if all the staff at O'Neill Patient solicitors would use this car park it would vastly help with parking in surrounding areas of Hazel Grove. They would have to walk three times the distance rather than dumping cars and blocking drives on the likes of Douglas Road, but I live in hope!
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
29th September 2015 at 2:49PM
Coleman Wrote:

Was it ever promoted as a solution to reduce traffic? i'm not sure anyone actually directly involved with it ever made that claim.
I can't imagine a couple/few hundred parking spots would make much difference with the number of cars that travel the a6 every day. is that not just a drop in the ocean?

As far as I can see yes it was promoted as a solution to reduce traffic Coleman. 6,000 car a month is a lot of cars.   
Christopher Bowles, Stagecoach Manchester managing director, said “In the long term, this Park & Ride will also relieve the region’s roads of an estimated 6,000 cars per month, helping us to significantly reduce the level of carbon emissions in the local area.”
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
29th September 2015 at 2:55PM
Serenity Wrote:

As far as I can see yes it was promoted as a solution to reduce traffic Coleman. 6,000 car a month is a lot of cars.   
Christopher Bowles, Stagecoach Manchester managing director, said “In the long term, this Park & Ride will also relieve the region’s roads of an estimated 6,000 cars per month, helping us to significantly reduce the level of carbon emissions in the local area.”

I've bolded In the long term in your quote. We're certainly not yet "in the long term".
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
29th September 2015 at 3:09PM
Jenny Wrote:

Serenity Wrote:

I've bolded In the long term in your quote. We're certainly not yet "in the long term".

We'll see Jenny. Only time will tell. Hope that you're right.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
29th September 2015 at 3:52PM
Serenity Wrote:

Coleman Wrote:

I stand corrected, hadn't heard or read any comments making these claims.

Its a little stupid to say that really.
6000 cars a month may sound like plenty but i bet it only equates to a couple of percent of the total amount of cars that travel the a6. Even if they achieve the numbers quoted it's hardly going to make a dent.

My hopes for the scheme have always been as a way to relieve parking issues, i think it could still make a real difference there if efforts are made.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
29th September 2015 at 5:09PM
Coleman Wrote:

Serenity Wrote:

Coleman Wrote:

I stand corrected, hadn't heard or read any comments making these claims.

Its a little stupid to say that really.
6000 cars a month may sound like plenty but i bet it only equates to a couple of percent of the total amount of cars that travel the a6. Even if they achieve the numbers quoted it's hardly going to make a dent.

My hopes for the scheme have always been as a way to relieve parking issues, i think it could still make a real difference there if efforts are made.

I'm not big on percentages Coleman. But I don't think its stupid to say that 6,000 cars whilst might be a drop in the ocean are better than nothing. The trouble with headlines are that they always sound great. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/park-ride-hazel-grove-opens-9560401

I too thought that this car park was built to benefit the Grove but the more I see the less I think it was.

Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
29th October 2015 at 12:06AM
Just revisiting this a few months after it was finished, and looking at the comments about it increasing in use.

Well it never has..its empty.. Whoever conceived of this is a numpty.
thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
29th October 2015 at 8:03AM
Due to daytime parking restrictions on my street (Hazelwood),I have been using the P&R every day for the last week or so. I see the same cars most days, so there are some regulars, but there are noticeably fewer this week, presumably because of half term.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..