10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and ride 192 buses

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
20th August 2015 at 12:57PM, Edit: 22nd August 2015 at 6:53AM by Serenity
Signs might help Jenny but if our councillors and our local businesses aren't totally backing this scheme (which it appears to me there not) then no amount of signs will really help. Signs will only direct the public to the car park but without giving the public any real incentives to use it the scheme will never get off the ground. Which is what I personally think the bus company wants.

I think that the bus company is biding it's time and waiting for the new road to be completed and then link the car park to the airport. If not that idea then in the future perhaps a new bus depot for the 192's. Both of which are not what was promised to the public and both wouldn't do much to reduce the traffic along the A6.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
22nd August 2015 at 6:43AM, Edit: 22nd August 2015 at 7:32AM by Serenity
Oliver it's ludicrous that there's such an urgent need for free available parking spaces and an urgent need to reduce the traffic coming through the Grove, but still we have an empty car park with over 400 free available spaces not being used.

I did speak to someone recently (from the council) who seemed to imply that once both entrances/exits were completely finished (which they are now)that ways would be being looked into to link the car park to the hospital and the train station via a shuttle bus.

But judging from what I keep reading from you Oliver you seem to know nothing about these plans?

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
27th September 2015 at 11:59PM
From the 26th October a new X92 service is being introduced at peak times along the current 192 route, however it will not serve any stops between Stockport and Manchester, and only a select few between Hazel Grove and Stockport.

It's a step in the right direction, but it's only 4 trips each way.

It's almost like they were reading my comment in another thread when I posted this...

Jenny Wrote:

One solution could be to take a leaf out of Wilmslow Road's book, run all Hazel Grove 192s as a limited stop X92, while keeping the Stepping Hill/Stockport 192s the same. To be effective it would have to be very limited stop, with a single stop in each of the main population centres.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th September 2015 at 7:24AM, Edit: 28th September 2015 at 7:28AM by Serenity
Jenny Wrote:

From the 26th October a new X92 service is being introduced at peak times along the current 192 route, however it will not serve any stops between Stockport and Manchester, and only a select few between Hazel Grove and Stockport.

It's a step in the right direction, but it's only 4 trips each way.

It's almost like they were reading my comment in another thread when I posted this...

Jenny Wrote:

One solution could be to take a leaf out of Wilmslow Road's book, run all Hazel Grove 192s as a limited stop X92, while keeping the Stepping Hill/Stockport 192s the same. To be effective it would have to be very limited stop, with a single stop in each of the main population centres.

Sorry Jenny if this is the service that I believe their going to charge £1.30 for a single fare and then another £1.30 return I really can't really see many people wanting to park at the wrong end of the Grove to the amenities (even with a free car park) and then pay £2.60 to have to wait for a slow bus service. And what if there's a full car load that's £10.40. It would be cheaper to park at the hospital with less inconvenience. Sorry Jenny but most people in these strapped for cash times simply don't want to pay a penny to park at the hospital or the shops, that's why the local streets nearby are full of parked cars each day. It's not great for residents but it hard to blame the drivers really.

But if this new venture is really all about reducing the traffic along the A6 Jenny then why don't our local councillors get behind this X92 bus service and look for ways to subsidise it. Perhaps by looking to involve our local shopping giants, and the hospital. Surely all should have an added interest in making this scheme work as it's a way of improving the health and wellbeing for the local community to which they all serve.

Lets say our councillors could market it as a good will gesture in a way of reducing some of the traffic that these gaints bring to the Grove in the first place.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
28th September 2015 at 12:45PM
Serenity Wrote:

Sorry Jenny if this is the service that I believe their going to charge £1.30 for a single fare and then another £1.30 return I really can't really see many people wanting to park at the wrong end of the Grove to the amenities (even with a free car park) and then pay £2.60 to have to wait for a slow bus service. And what if there's a full car load that's £10.40. It would be cheaper to park at the hospital with less inconvenience. Sorry Jenny but most people in these strapped for cash times simply don't want to pay a penny to park at the hospital or the shops, that's why the local streets nearby are full of parked cars each day. It's not great for residents but it hard to blame the drivers really.

But if this new venture is really all about reducing the traffic along the A6 Jenny then why don't our local councillors get behind this X92 bus service and look for ways to subsidise it. Perhaps by looking to involve our local shopping giants, and the hospital. Surely all should have an added interest in making this scheme work as it's a way of improving the health and wellbeing for the local community to which they all serve.

Lets say our councillors could market it as a good will gesture in a way of reducing some of the traffic that these gaints bring to the Grove in the first place.

I do not know of any park and ride in the country that is free to use. These things cost money to construct and run.

Also bear in mind that the park and ride is not designed for people heading into Hazel Grove, it's mainly aimed at people heading towards Stockport and beyond.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th September 2015 at 3:45PM, Edit: 28th September 2015 at 3:47PM by Serenity
[/QUOTE]

I do not know of any park and ride in the country that is free to use. These things cost money to construct and run.

Also bear in mind that the park and ride is not designed for people heading into Hazel Grove, it's mainly aimed at people heading towards Stockport and beyond.[/QUOTE]

Jenny this scheme is meant to be aimed at reducing traffic all along the A6 - that includes the Grove not just passengers going to Stockport and Manchester.

And the shuttle bus service that operates around Stockport town centre I believe is free to the public but subsidised by local business Jenny. But I didn't say free just a lot cheaper than £2.60 return. No one's going to pay that price. Four people visiting the hospital and paying over £10 to park and wait. It just won't happen.

The current free parking scheme is meant to provide and encourage a solution to reduce traffic along the A6 but it not doing very much at the moment Jenny. And these bus prices aren't exactly going to attract more drivers to use this car park.

Unless the X92 service is subsidised and the costs of fares come down dramatically I can't really see anyone wanting to use such a service.

Tell me Jenny what would sell this idea to you if you where visiting the Grove to shop or visit the hospital?

The company will probably end up with an empty X92 bus service which they can add to their empty car park.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
28th September 2015 at 5:31PM, Edit: 28th September 2015 at 5:33PM by Jenny
Serenity Wrote:

Jenny this scheme is meant to be aimed at reducing traffic all along the A6 - that includes the Grove not just passengers going to Stockport and Manchester.

And the shuttle bus service that operates around Stockport town centre I believe is free to the public but subsidised by local business Jenny. But I didn't say free just a lot cheaper than £2.60 return. No one's going to pay that price. Four people visiting the hospital and paying over £10 to park and wait. It just won't happen.

The current free parking scheme is meant to provide and encourage a solution to reduce traffic along the A6 but it not doing very much at the moment Jenny. And these bus prices aren't exactly going to attract more drivers to use this car park.

Unless the X92 service is subsidised and the costs of fares come down dramatically I can't really see anyone wanting to use such a service.

Tell me Jenny what would sell this idea to you if you where visiting the Grove to shop or visit the hospital?

The company will probably end up with an empty X92 bus service which they can add to their empty car park.

The scheme is aimed at making Stagecoach money, not reducing congestion. Reducing congestion is a useful side effect of this business venture of theirs. It was quite a clever move from Stagecoach, they didn't have any extra cost of services since they were already running to that site before they built the car park.

You seem to be mixing up Metroshuttle with a Park and Ride service. If Stockport council were to want to introduce a Hazel Grove Metroshuttle, then that is their choice and is ultimately no concern to Stagecoach. The Metroshuttle in Stockport is jointly funded by Stockport Council and TfGM, local business do not pay for this (according to the sources that I've read). The Metroshuttle in Manchester however receives funding from NCP, the Spinningfields owners, the council and TfGM.

If the council or TfGM stump up money for a Hazel Grove Metroshuttle, then I'll buy a hat and eat it.

Stagecoach are a commercial business, they are there to make money - not run services for free. It does not make sense for them to run a free service, and I suspect if the council started running free services from the park and ride then Stagecoach would introduce a parking charge.

So it would be cheaper for 4 people to park at Stepping Hill, it would be their choice to do that if they wish. For one person going, the P&R is cheaper if staying over 2 hours. Most people going to Stepping Hill aren't going to use the P&R, regardless of price. If, however, bus lanes were introduced on the A6 through HG - then the bus would be a much more attractive proposition to drivers.

Either way, Stepping Hill isn't the main target of this P&R site. What is going to make Stagecoach the most money? Ferrying people into Stockport and Manchester, hence the introduction of the X92 service to try to entice drivers with quicker journey times. The fact there are only 2 token buses an hour to Stepping hill, compared to the 6-10 buses an hour to Stockport/Manchester proves that Stagecoach have no interest in Stepping hill other than a useful side effect.

Remember, this is a commercial park and ride, not a council one. Yes, the council can benefit from it by using it as a tool to reduce congestion - they seem to have at least made a step in the right direction by putting a few signs up (This had to be done by the council - Stagecoach can't lawfully erect signs on the public highway.)

I'm of no doubt that the X92 will be well used, if not immediately from P&R drivers, it's useful to local HG residents who don't want to spend 65 mins on a 192 into Manchester. I know I'm considering it as an alternative to driving. I expect we'll see the X92 extended to run all day, rather than just peak times within a year.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
28th September 2015 at 5:41PM
Serenity Wrote:

If not that idea then in the future perhaps a new bus depot for the 192's. Both of which are not what was promised to the public and both wouldn't do much to reduce the traffic along the A6.

Never going to happen in a time when bus companies are looking to cut costs and are actively closing depots. There is a depot in Stockport which is where the buses on the 192 are stored and maintained. Any attempts to suggest that it's going to become a bus depot are just scaremongering.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
28th September 2015 at 7:20PM
Jenny Wrote:

Serenity Wrote:

If not that idea then in the future perhaps a new bus depot for the 192's. Both of which are not what was promised to the public and both wouldn't do much to reduce the traffic along the A6.

Never going to happen in a time when bus companies are looking to cut costs and are actively closing depots. There is a depot in Stockport which is where the buses on the 192 are stored and maintained. Any attempts to suggest that it's going to become a bus depot are just scaremongering.

This car park has been open for over a month now Jenny and I don't see anymore people using it. Why Jenny - if it's such a great offer - free parking all day - park and then jump on the bus to Manchester. Then why aren't more people making use of it?? Simply because it's not practical. Doesn't matter how you wrap it up it's not the right solution.

Right from the start the concept of a car park at the wrong end of the Grove seemed to lack clarity as though it hadn't been thought out properly. It made for great headlines - stop press - car park to reduce cars by 6,ooo a day I think it read. But even Oliver has since called it a white elephant.

Who would really want to drive and park and then get on a slow congested bus service into Manchester when there's a faster more stream lined solution of the train.

This is why I think that someday it will end up being used as something else. I'm not trying to scaremonger anyone. Perhaps somehow linked to the relief road who knows Jenny. But there's one thing for sure an empty free car park can't be making any money.

thealastairw
Villager

thealastairw
28th September 2015 at 7:22PM
Out of interest I did a rough count this evening and there where at least 15 vehicles parked. Slow but steady progress.
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..