Nice call Serenity,
That's what I was thinking, its eventually going to be a bus depot   wink
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
6th July 2015 at 4:29PM, Edit: 6th July 2015 at 4:38PM by Serenity
Drove past today - numbers improving 4 cars parked there instead of jenny's 3. However I think they might be the staff that work there - probably trying to make the place look busy..

Did see two advertisements for it though. One on the back of a 192 bus which said - park free and travel to Manchester and back for only £1.48 a day. And then the second just before Norbury Church, which seemed to pop up out from the trees and flash a message saying free park and ride. Not sure though if either said where the car park actually was. Which might help. Like Jenny said you'd miss the fact that it was a car park if you blinked when you went passed it.

Then I drove on into the heart of the traffic chaos at the other end of the Grove and couldn't help but think why didn't they build houses there and build the new car park at the cherry tree or the old Mirlees site. Both would have been nearer and so much more convenient to the Grove as a park and ride car park.

Oh yes I forgot I know why - because it really only a free car park until it turns into a bus depot wink wink

muppet
Villager

muppet
6th July 2015 at 5:16PM, Edit: 6th July 2015 at 5:16PM by muppet
The current location is fine. It's just the fact that simply providing a car park doesn't have any effect on car usage on its own. The current 192 service from the Grove is hardly compelling. Every 10 minutes can seem a long time, you can easily wait double that to get home.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
6th July 2015 at 6:35PM, Edit: 6th July 2015 at 6:35PM by Serenity
muppet Wrote:

The current location is fine. It's just the fact that simply providing a car park doesn't have any effect on car usage on its own. The current 192 service from the Grove is hardly compelling. Every 10 minutes can seem a long time, you can easily wait double that to get home.

I agree muppet. Improvements promised but not quite delivered.

I don't think it's so much the waiting time between but more to do with the time the bus takes to get you there once your on. I can't see many people wanting to travel to Manchester by bus.

Surely the company would have done some research beforehand and know what their target market was.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Moto3
Villager

Moto3
6th July 2015 at 7:38PM
I get into MCR in 20 minutes for about £3.60 out of peak from Hazel Grove Station why would anyone in their right mind take a 192 into MCR stopping a million times in the worst area's on a bus confused
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
7th July 2015 at 11:54AM
Moto3 Wrote:

I get into MCR in 20 minutes for about £3.60 out of peak from Hazel Grove Station why would anyone in their right mind take a 192 into MCR stopping a million times in the worst area's on a bus confused

What a snobby thing to say. Bear in mind the train stops in exactly the same areas.

A few points:
* 50% of the trains take 22mins, 50% take 30 (apart from in the morning when there is that magical 17 min trip).
* Most people want to travel at peak time (hence they call it peak), a peak time return costs £6.40. Remember there is now an evening peak in Greater Manchester too, so you can't use off peak tickets between 4pm and 6.30pm.
* Most trains are absolutely rammed from Hazel Grove, at least on the bus you'll get a seat.
* 90% of the time, the bus is surprisingly quicker than the train between Hazel Grove and Stockport (God knows why, but the train really crawls), it also stops in a more convenient location for Stockport town centre.
* The train runs every half hour (hourly in the evening), while the bus runs at least every 10 mins *and* stops closer to Manchester City Centre.
* Not everyone wants to go to the City Centre - The bus is more convenient for the Apollo, for example.
* While buses are sometimes delayed, it's rare that there are severe delays. Trains however, when there is disruption you're looking at widespread cancellations.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th July 2015 at 4:41PM
Just like to say that to be fair I've now seen quite a few signs on the backs of 192 buses and electronic message boards going towards Stockport which advertise that there is know a park and ride operating in Hazel Grove. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but not one tells you where it is situated in the Grove.

Perhaps it might be a good idea if the electronic message board (at least) said that it was next to Carpet World.
stukaville
Villager

stukaville
9th July 2015 at 10:42AM, Edit: 9th July 2015 at 10:44AM by stukaville
Perhaps the new car park could be promoted by informing all Stepping Hill out patients of its existence and location via their appointment letters. The council could also lay on two or three minibuses to take people to the hospital and back(free of charge). Instead of just dropping at the bus stop, traveling all around the hospital, past maternity, Out patients B, Chest clinic etc. Or.. ask local bus companies if they would like to lay on the service and the council pay all fares.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
9th July 2015 at 1:23PM, Edit: 9th July 2015 at 2:59PM by Serenity
stukaville Wrote:

Perhaps the new car park could be promoted by informing all Stepping Hill out patients of its existence and location via their appointment letters. The council could also lay on two or three minibuses to take people to the hospital and back(free of charge). Instead of just dropping at the bus stop, traveling all around the hospital, past maternity, Out patients B, Chest clinic etc. Or.. ask local bus companies if they would like to lay on the service and the council pay all fares.

All excellent ideas stukaville.

I live near the hospital and the amount of cars we get parking in our area because people don't want to pay to park at the hospital (which is fair enough)is unreal. The same applies to the other side of the Grove such as Dailstone Lane. All chocker blocked with cars. I'm not saying that all the people who visit the hospital come from the Rising Sun end of the Grove but I bet a fair majority do.

So if the council do seriously want to reduce traffic figures along the a6 then subsidising a shuttle bus service to and from new car park to the hospital would be a great start to the scheme.

I know from experience that most people even if they pay to park at the hospital don't often know where each department is within the hospital so a service that went around the hospital sounds like a great idea.

At the moment the new car park just a waste of space(s). Even the adverts fail to mention that the car park is free and where it is located so not really encouraging people to use it.

And I've spoken to several people who work at the hospital and nothing been mentioned to anyone there about it. Let alone mentioned in letters sent out to patients.

So if the council etc are behind it couldn't they subsidise(even if it was only for the first year)a shuttle bus service going to and from the hospital. I'm sure that it would really give the car park a much needed kick start and help fulfil the car park company pledge to reduce traffic along the A6.
stukaville
Villager

stukaville
11th July 2015 at 2:06AM
Thanks Serenity. No idea if it would be a good thing in practice but on paper it looks workable.

The new car park could be good for outpatients, but it could be difficult to make it work for visitors, due to the increase in numbers arriving then leaving in a short time at the end of visiting hours.

I suppose they could tackle the Stepping Hill parking issue from another angle too. How about getting the staff to park on the new car park and busing them into the hospital too, and free up a large chunk of the parking around the hospital itself?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..