10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Park and ride 192 buses

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
Re: Park and ride 192 buses
2nd July 2015 at 2:08PM
What do you see as the other agenda Oliver?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
2nd July 2015 at 3:53PM
To win votes, to spin things in a certain way to cast oneself in a more positive light.

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
2nd July 2015 at 4:05PM
The new buses they refer to were the ones that appeared about 2 years ago (the green hybrid ones). I also stand corrected, Stagecoach did provide extra services, about 5 extra 191's in each direction at peak times. They were originally limited stop, but now they've reverted to all stops.

Well it's now open, when I drove past earlier there were 3 cars in the car park.

This is where the council come in now. If our council is serious about reducing conjestion then they need to make it known that there is a park and ride there. There are currently *no* direction signs at all, the average person wouldn't know that it's there until they have passed it. Putting up direction signs is the council's responsibility - Oliver, will you be pushing for this?

The council have got lucky here, most councils need to pay for a park and ride out of their own pocket, whereas in this case Stockport council have basically been handed a park and ride for free - they now need to do their part to encourage it's use and cut congestion. Subsidised fares for P&R users to make it attractive?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
2nd July 2015 at 4:09PM
Jenny - I am pretty sure Julian and I have already requested signage but I will check up on that.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
2nd July 2015 at 4:26PM, Edit: 2nd July 2015 at 4:30PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

To win votes, to spin things in a certain way to cast oneself in a more positive light.

Oh yes I take your point Oliver.
Such a shame Oliver as it could have been so good for the Grove.

I know you weren't elected when the decision was made to build this car park Oliver. But you would think that someone should now be held responsible to honour the companies pledge to the public to reduce traffic by the figures they quoted.

I understand pre-election pledges that never transpire, ones that are made just to gain votes Oliver. But the promises made here were and are grossly miss-leading if the company has no intention of fulfilling its promises to reduce traffic along the A6 by how much it said by.

I would have thought that a big part of the council giving the go ahead to this project was based on the companies promise to reduce traffic.

I'm not blaming you Oliver but I just can't keep up with how many false promises have been made to the residents of the Grove over the past couple of years.

Hopefully though we've turned a corner now.

Thanks Oliver.

Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
2nd July 2015 at 4:40PM, Edit: 2nd July 2015 at 4:43PM by Serenity
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

Jenny - I am pretty sure Julian and I have already requested signage but I will check up on that.

Good points Jenny.

Oliver might I also suggest that maybe it might be a good idea to get the hospital involved as well. They could advise patients of the free car park - albeit that end of the Grove at least it's free.

Another idea might be to make more local streets like Mount Pleasant parking for residents only. It's a nightmare along there with staff and visitors parking there all day ever day. Apparently turning the area into a parking for residents zone has been in the pipeline for a long time now, but nothing has transpired.

muppet
Villager

muppet
2nd July 2015 at 4:51PM
This could get interesting: Tories having to take action to promote public transport?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
3rd July 2015 at 7:46AM, Edit: 3rd July 2015 at 8:28AM by Serenity
Oliver I'm a bit confused are they still looking to reduce the A6 to single lanes from Torkington Road to Bramhall Moor Lane. As I've just read the regeneration select committee report which was done back in May 2014 (not that long ago)and according to that report it still seems like a feasible option. Is that right Oliver.

Also there is suggestions of a Poynton bypass being built but nothing was mentioned about the Hazel Grove bypass, why?. But to be fair Oliver it was a long report so perhaps I might of missed that bit.

It did however speak in depth about looking for ways to reduce pollution and traffic along the A6 corridor, outlining the need for this new car park and clearly sighting it as one of the possible solutions to reduce the traffic and pollution along the A6.

So Oliver in view of all the time and money spent doing this report which clearly shows that this car park is a meant to be a solution you would now think that since it has been built that Stockport council would be right behind the scheme looking for positive ways to make it work. I still don't understand why it is not being heavily promoting by the company.

And I still think that it would pay dividends if the council (perhaps with the financial support from the bigger companies in the Grove)could provide a free shuttle bus service (or subsidised fares) for people going to and from the hospital.

HIGH PEAK BOROUGH COUNCIL
Report to Regeneration Select Committee
A6 corridor study consultation
19 March 2014

Summary of Findings
Potential Short Term Measures (considered capable of delivery within the next 5 years)

Reallocation of A6 road space through Hazel Grove in a more sustainable manner
following completion of A6MAR: It is predicted that the reduction of the A6 to a single lane
in each direction between the A627 Torkington Road junction and the Bramhall Moor Lane
junction, with a shared third lane for right-turning provision and pedestrian refuges, will result
in a notable reduction in traffic on the A6 through Hazel Grove. This would suggest that
some traffic has been displaced onto the parallel routes such the A626 Marple Road to the
north and A5143 Bridge Lane/ Jacksons Lane to the south. More detailed highway design/
local junction modelling is therefore needed to formulate an optimal balance between road
space reallocation on the A6 and highway capacity.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
3rd July 2015 at 1:31PM
As far as I am concerned the plan to narrow the A6 has been shelved.

I would be open to considering it but only as part of and after a series of measures have been put in place - i.e. A6 to M60 bypass, mitigation measures on roads such as Torkington and Commercial Road etc and better transport links.

Regarding the Poynton Bypass, that is part of the wider SEMMMS project along with A6MARR, A6 to M60 and ironically the Stepping Hill Link Road. Cheshire East have the money and planning permission to build the Poynton Bypass - there is no money in place to build the A6 to M60 at the moment.

As always Serenity, a lot of what you are saying is sensible and very much along my own lines of thinking. I can raise it at the next scrutiny meeting on Thursday next week.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
4th July 2015 at 3:56PM, Edit: 5th July 2015 at 8:18AM by Serenity
Why can't life be more simply. The Grove has a brand new car park with 400 free empty spaces dance We should be celebrating but instead it all sounds so negative. No directions, no signs, just a white elephant and the list goes on.

All it would really take is for the bus company, the council, and local businesses to all get their heads together and look for some positive ways to promote it to the public. Then I'm sure that all those desperately needed car parking spaces would eventually get filled.

Was it Coleman that said no company would go to all the trouble and expense of building a car park if they weren't confident that they could make lots of money from it. But how are they going to do that if no one wants to use it? How will they get more fares and make all that extra money.

Unfortunately my bets are still on it eventually being used as a bus depot or something to do with the airport.

Because by then the company will be able to say that we had to bin that idea because no one really wanted to use it so instead we'll be using it as a ........ instead.

I don't know about a white elephant Oliver more like a Trojan Horse.

Such a shame but flipping typical... confused

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >>

Part of..